Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dented Primers with SDB

I have a Dillon SDB 9mm press. Just recently it has started randomly denting primers. I haven't changed anything on the press lately, but it appears that I have knocked something out of position. The shell plate seems to be tight and I make sure to do a full up-stroke and down-stroke. It is hard to see, but the picture shows what I am seeing.

Does anybody have any idea what to look at before I call Dillon?

PrimerDamage.jpg

It's possible that sliver of brass, piece of tumbling media or scrap from an old primer anvil was on the priming ram when you seated the new primer. I've had this happen to me. It is really bad with crimped primers on .223 brass. One primer will go into the swaged pocket a little tight and peel off a sliver of the old crimp. That sliver lays on the ram and dents the primers until you I remove it.

It's possible that sliver of brass, piece of tumbling media or scrap from an old primer anvil was on the priming ram when you seated the new primer. I've had this happen to me. It is really bad with crimped primers on .223 brass. One primer will go into the swaged pocket a little tight and peel off a sliver of the old crimp. That sliver lays on the ram and dents the primers until you I remove it.

Agree! It looks like a piece of junk is sitting on the priming anvil. It happens. I would remove the whole priming mechaism and give the whole thing a good cleaning and inspection. It may be a good time to replace the plastic primer dispensing tip if you have loaded more than a few thousand rounds.

Let us know what you find. :-)

I only use CCI small pistol primers.

Following the advice of RGinIdaho and Alvarez, I took off the shell plate, platform base disk, and the primer system. The was crud built up and was probably the cause. I actually had a spare Primer Slide, so I replaced that at the same time. I cleaned everything up and it is working fine again.

Thanks for the help.

+1 to this. And it doesn't take a build up of crud. Any random debris seems to find that spot. I have made it a habit to wipe it clean every so often.