Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

HK MR762A1 7.62x51

whistlepig

I have tried the search bar, no matches......

Calling on Heavy Metal guys and .308 devotees...... Just saw this in person at a local shop. I am assuming that it is the civie version of the HK 417. Anybody shot one or know any details like barrel twist or of the mags are a custom pattern? The staff (not a dig) just didn't know anything about it and wouldn't get out the box or manual for me cause they were swamped. The trigger was very nice..... If I had to guess, I would say that the barrel is hammer forged and chrome lined but I'm betting a forum member knows for sure. This particular model had no barrel markings but it did include the ginormous HK price tag.

Thoughts?

MR762 mags are a custom HK pattern.

Since it is a piston gun, it will kick a bit more than a DI gun.

The barrel is a 1/12 twist, hammer forged and not chrome lined.

The HK416 and HK417 have chrome lined barrels but not the MR models.

Most all HK stuff is very well engineered and manufactured, the MR762 is probably not the ideal 3gun platform though.

I have tried the search bar, no matches......

Calling on Heavy Metal guys and .308 devotees...... Just saw this in person at a local shop. I am assuming that it is the civie version of the HK 417. Anybody shot one or know any details like barrel twist or of the mags are a custom pattern? The staff (not a dig) just didn't know anything about it and wouldn't get out the box or manual for me cause they were swamped. The trigger was very nice..... If I had to guess, I would say that the barrel is hammer forged and chrome lined but I'm betting a forum member knows for sure. This particular model had no barrel markings but it did include the ginormous HK price tag.

Thoughts?

Hey neighbor, what was the asking price for this? I've heard they are very expensive. Thanks.

Thanks boomfab....... And Michael it was stickered at $3799.00

OUCH!

If you're considering spending that kind of coin on a semi auto 308, get a JP. It will be just as reliable as the HK and very likely more accurate.

Or buy a DPMS LR308 worked over by Benny Hill and you can spend the other $1800+ on ammo.

Edited by Bryan 45

I have to admit, my thoughts were already similar to Bryan's before his post since I had a good guess at the price. Looks like my estimate was correct.:surprise:

If I had that type of coin for a 308, I'd totally consider a JP LRP-07 as my first choice and my close second (for much less money, also) would be Benny's custom 308 package. I have deep respect for H&K workmanship, but ouch!!

Heck you could do Benny's race gun 308 and get most of a nice reloading setup couldn't you? I'm not into reloading because of schedule constraints, but that's one way of thinking.

It's great to have choices, regardless.

You'll want to avoid the MR556 and MR762 unless that is exactly what you want forever and ever. Both of the HK rifles are not compatible with anything else. The hole locations for the upper and lower receiver pins have been moved so that you can't interchange them with existing evil guns. Part of the restrictions on HK. If you get one you're pretty much stuck with what you get from the factory. And $3799.00 for that gun is retarded. No offense to HK quality but no freaking way.

I should have prefaced this with saying I wasn't planning on buying it! I do love my simple DPMS .308 and I almost have the coin for my JP. My interest was really just wanting the technical details and several folks really came through. It is a strange sensation to look at it but not know the answer to your curiosities. My desire to shoot one and really check it out is high, but at that coin it will need to be somebody else's.

Thanks for all the info.