Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New 3 gun scoring

Patrick,

You need to come shoot our match so you will really understand our system. This ain't my first rodeo.

I read your comments but it just does not seem to apply to our scoring. As I stated all of our stages are worth the same score. For example our last match each stage was worth 450.00 points.

So I will use your comments and add it up and see how it turns out.

Pistol stage.

first 16.00seconds HF 28.125 100% 450.00 POINTS

second 18.00 seconds HF 25.00 88% 396.00 Points

third 20.00seconds HF 22.5 80% 360.00 Points

Rifle Satge

First 160.00 seconds HF 2.8125 100% 450.00 Points

Second 180.00seconds HF 2.5 88% 396.00 Points

Third 200.00 seconds HF 2.25 80% 360 Points

It would appear to me that the great rifle shooter better beat the great pistol shooter by quite a margin. If this system doesn't allow the shooter to win because he can't shoot a rifle. Guess it is time to practice.

Hope this all makes sense.

We have founding principles for our match as well.

1st Make shooters do things they may do in real life.(shoot weak hand from a car)

2nd Challenging courses of fire

3rd Have a match director that will say NO to rule breakers.

4th Great Prize table

5th Scoring system that is quick, easy, makes sense(to some of us anyway)

6th Not be affiliated with any shooting organization that will make me follow their rules.

Am I hard headed? You bet I am, when I run my match it isn't USPSA or IDPA whose reputation is on the line. It is MY reputation as well as Melynda's. If you find someone that is disgusted with our match please have them give me feedback as to their issues. Other than it is too physical, which we will not change, I have not heard too many comments. We read the critiques from the match, and we have changed a few things. We have learned alot.

Hope I clarified our system. Is it perfect? No..... Close enough for Government work though.

God Bless the USA!!!!!!

KyleL

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I respect Melynda's reputation anyway. :P

Regardless of scoring systems, how come Voigt always wins? I suggest that scoring systems automatically make Voigt ineligible to win.

I do like Kyle's scoring system, since it evens out the stages by making each worth an equal amount regardless of rounds fired. I also like the scoring system used by Rob Leatham in the Drill Master (the infamous Enos system) which is another time plus penalties type but it would have to have to be modified to make the stages worth an equal amount.

It would appear to me that the great rifle shooter better beat the great pistol shooter by quite a margin. If this system doesn't allow the shooter to win because he can't shoot a rifle. Guess it is time to practice.

Hope this all makes sense.

We have founding principles for our match as well.

1st Make shooters do things they may do in real life.(shoot weak hand from a car)

2nd Challenging courses of fire

3rd Have a match director that will say NO to rule breakers.

4th Great Prize table

5th Scoring system that is quick, easy, makes sense(to some of us anyway)

6th Not be affiliated with any shooting organization that will make me follow their rules.

Am I hard headed? You bet I am, when I run my match it isn't USPSA or IDPA whose reputation is on the line. It is MY reputation as well as Melynda's. If you find someone that is disgusted with our match please have them give me feedback as to their issues. Other than it is too physical, which we will not change, I have not heard too many comments. We read the critiques from the match, and we have changed a few things. We have learned alot.

Hooah!

Rich

Kyle,

I get the system. You've adjusted the gun weights to be equal. Unless each type fires the same number of rounds, you're still weighting it towards one type. We ran into this doing 3-gun matches back in 1983. If one type was over-represented, and we weighted them by round count some would complain it gave too much weight to one type. If we weighted them evenly (your method) then we'd get complaints that a slight error in the "light" gun would hurt the score too much.

And yes I'd love to shoot the match. Since I'm doing a two-volume book on the AR-15, including competitions for same, I've got room.

I spent a lot ot time working over the statistics of scoring methods and representing categories from the attempt at coming up with an overall pin shooter category at Second Chance. Forget 3-gun, how to weight up to 18 categories and optionals? It drove us to drink.