Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

need load data. penn bullets 230gn lrnbb with clays.

wes777

So I ordered some of these from Penn Bullets on a whim. Got tired of MB having quality issues (last batch looked like they were run through a granite tumbler before they were boxed).

anyhow, I am going to start building a load for them but i am wondering if someone might have a starting point. Possibly a successful oal and powder combo?

So I ordered some of these from Penn Bullets on a whim. Got tired of MB having quality issues (last batch looked like they were run through a granite tumbler before they were boxed).

anyhow, I am going to start building a load for them but i am wondering if someone might have a starting point. Possibly a successful oal and powder combo?

Hard to go wrong with 4.0 gr CLAYS and standard ball length.

Hard to go wrong with 4.0 gr CLAYS and standard ball length.

+1. Used that load for many years under 230 gr. LRN bullets. In fact, that's the Max Load listed on Hodgdon's site. Not sure on the length. They list 1.20", but that sounds a bit short to me. Pretty sure mine were more like 1.25".

Just out of curiosity - how long did it take to get your order from Penn? I'm thinking of trying some.

Just out of curiosity - how long did it take to get your order from Penn? I'm thinking of trying some.

week and a half, had to wait for him to make them. good service.

That's pretty good. I've heard stories about some bullet makers taking months. I think I'll give them a try.

UPDATE: I just got off the phone with Bob at Penn - ordered 2000 of the 200 gr. SWC (1000 Target grade and 1000 Match grade). He said my order would be shipped tomorrow or the next day! Fantastic!

Edited by Jeff Matzka

That's pretty good. I've heard stories about some bullet makers taking months. I think I'll give them a try.

UPDATE: I just got off the phone with Bob at Penn - ordered 2000 of the 200 gr. SWC (1000 Target grade and 1000 Match grade). He said my order would be shipped tomorrow or the next day! Fantastic!

glad to hear it

• 3 weeks later...

Be ready to have to wire brush most of your reloaded bullets to get the lube off!

Worst I have ever seen. Actually makes a extra step in the reloading process.

I ordered 5000 and had to set up my electric drill with a stiff brush to get them clean.

Called Bob. He said some turn out like that, some don't.

Good luck!

Tried 'em all. Laser Cast bullets cost more but they are always delivered promptly and they are right when I get 'em. I can load them right out of the box and I do not have to be the quality control for the provider. If I'm going to be the QC guy I may as well cast and size them myself. I've probably shot 20K+ Laser Cast (45 ACP and 45 LC) without a bad bullet or problem. I can't say that for any of the aforementioned providers that provide unpredictable delivery and/or sporadic bullet quality. Some of them are run by really nice and hard working people -- but they just can't seem to deliver (at least to me) the goods. I just decided to suck it up and deal with someone I can count on.