Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to shop for a quality gunsmith

Velvett

I have 2 guns that have jamming issues, both are relatively old ( a Remington model 58 shotgun with a trigger jamming, and a Remington 760 where the pump action jamms after firing ). I have never went to a gunsmith before so i have no idea how to shop for one. How much they charge, how to spot a quality one, ect. any advice would be great.

The model 58 uses the trigger assembly almost identical to the model 1100, I would suggest a good cleaning and check to see if you can see anything that might be broken. If you can find an 1100 trigger assembly to compare to yours, you might be able to see what is out of place, like a spring in the sear area.

Rich

What area/state do you live in? I'm sure someone might be able to give you a reference. Trying to find a decent gunsmith can be hard. First research your gun as much as possible. The more you understand the more you'll be able to tell if they know what they are doing. How mechanically inclined are you? Might just need a detailed strip and good cleaning. Sometimes after being stored for a while the dirt and oil hardens which need some scrubbing and light polishing of the internals.

I live in Las Vegas, i only know of 1 smith in town, he did a friend OK. I have heard of that trigger assembly being like the 1100's. Depending on cost a professional I can trust would be my choice. That is good advice about learning more about the gun and issue history.

Velvett, several choices here in town.

Wild West Guns, 5225 Wynn Rd. Las Vegas NV 89118, Open Monday- Friday, 9am - 6pm; Saturdays 10am - 5pm, 702-798-3570

will be my first choice if you are in that part of town.

If you want we can get together and I can take a look, not a professional gunsmith but I use to play one on TV.

Looking at Wild West Guns website, I would go with them if I lived in Vegas. Looks like they are a solid custom shop, so getting a shotgun up and running should be a piece of cake. Just taking a guess they will probably charge more than other local gunsmiths, but from my personal experience it's always cheaper to get it done right the first time. A dremel can do wonderful things in a trained professional hand, but it can also do terrible things in a fly by night self proclaimed gunsmith hand.

Aside from Wild West guns ...

If you are on the North part of town go to New Frontier Armory and ask for Brad

If you are in Henderson go to Long Mountain Outfitters and ask for Matt Baab

Me? not a gunsmith just an armorer in several platforms .. they are the professional ...

This is turning into a neighborhood party :) ... From work it wont be to hard to go there to check them out. Thx. The only shop i knew of here is CCS over on Rainbow and Sahara in the Harly center. Thx for the offer Jriera, Did you also stay at a Holiday inn? lol. but some things I need to have a shop look into, my breaks for example.