Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WC 844 Pull down Questions?

Coleman

I got 3-8# jugs of WC 844 Pull down all the same HT#. Do I need to mix all 3 together so i will get a consistant burn or should i be good to go from one jug to jug?

Anybody have a good starting point for 62 grain bullets?

I know you have to start on the low side and work up just wanting a referance.

Thanks Coleman

Not sure why you'd treat them as separate powders... if they are the same lot, they likely came out of the same 60 pound barrel..

I've done DoD Ordnance DRMO before - I trust no one . :roflol:

The other posters aren't wrong - I'm just paranoid.

Thanks for the replies! I will mix all 3 together just so i dont have to work each load up again, I am sure it will take longer to work up the load then it will take to mix them.

What is the best way to mix powder?

Here is what i am thinking- 5 gallon plastic bucket, pour all 3 in at the same time. get a electric blender and mix em :surprise: Just kidding!!!! Put the lid back on and roll bucket on side for about 5 minutes and pour back in jugs doing all this outside and a low humidity day. Unless thier are other ideas that will work?

Thanks again Coleman

• 8 months later...

Even though lighting off *smokeless* powder with a static spark is supposed to be MythBusters difficult to actually pull off, I still recommend rubbing a new dryer sheet all over the inside of any plastic container used to blend powder lots.

I do that for my own protection, and expect you to do no less for yours. You're worth the precautions.

• 1 month later...

My experience with surplus powder is don’t trust lot numbers. I bought 2 cases of 846 at different times to load a bunch of 308s with. All 8 jugs had the same number on the label. I assumed they were all the same lot number. Worked up a load with 43gr under a wideners 145gr fmj with the first jug at 2660fps. The 2nd jug was throwing 41gr without changing the measure on my 1050 and the velocity dropped to just a bit over 2400 fps. I dumped the remaining 6- 8 pounders together and mixed them up really well. I swear one of the jugs was much darker than the others but it is all the same now. Next time I will mix the whole batch before loading any ammo.

The other posters aren't wrong - I'm just paranoid.

You may call that a personality trait, I call that good planning!!

On the pulled powder, not being paranoid (ha), but I suggest running it thru some kind of screen. You don't have to be weird about it, but I have found several pieces of brass brush wire in the jugs. They clean the equipment with brass brushes, and sometimes they shed.

good luck!