The offical Mike Seeklander Shooting performance training material thr

Mat Price

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I have really enjoyed reading this thread. I have been a member of the Enos forum mostly for reloading advice and I missed this thread until I googled Seeklander Dry Fire Training. I have been shooting IDPA for about a year and I just joined USPSA. I shoot SSP in IDPA and Production in USPSA. I enjoy both sports and do not join in the bashing that goes on by some members i.e. IDPA vs USPSA. Shooting is shooting. Its all good.

I am getting Mike's book and going to try to attend a class in 2014. I am at the point where I am going to get serious. A couple of questions to the guys on this thread

1) camera use-I notice that a number of folks in this thread are using videos to review their technique. How useful is that? I for one do not like the idea of anything extra on my head when competing. What do you guys think? Are there any hat cameras that you like? I have seen some guys at matches wearing them but not in my squads.

2) dry fire-I did not see much discussion of dry fire in this thread. What are the fire drills you guys are using are any better than others.

thanks

PS I shoot a Glock 17 and a Walther P99QA in minor power factor in 9mm I reload all my practice ammo 9mm 147 gr. I believe in practicing with what you compete with. I would not practice with a 22 since ai reload cost of ammo is really not an issue.

I have really enjoyed reading this thread. I have been a member of the Enos forum mostly for reloading advice and I missed this thread until I googled Seeklander Dry Fire Training. I have been shooting IDPA for about a year and I just joined USPSA. I shoot SSP in IDPA and Production in USPSA. I enjoy both sports and do not join in the bashing that goes on by some members i.e. IDPA vs USPSA. Shooting is shooting. Its all good.

I am getting Mike's book and going to try to attend a class in 2014. I am at the point where I am going to get serious. A couple of questions to the guys on this thread

1) camera use-I notice that a number of folks in this thread are using videos to review their technique. How useful is that? I for one do not like the idea of anything extra on my head when competing. What do you guys think? Are there any hat cameras that you like? I have seen some guys at matches wearing them but not in my squads.

2) dry fire-I did not see much discussion of dry fire in this thread. What are the fire drills you guys are using are any better than others.

thanks

PS I shoot a Glock 17 and a Walther P99QA in minor power factor in 9mm I reload all my practice ammo 9mm 147 gr. I believe in practicing with what you compete with. I would not practice with a 22 since ai reload cost of ammo is really not an issue.

I think video is a great learning tool and hand my video camera off to someone every time I shoot. Most phones are good enough these days, but the info is priceless.

Dry fire is paramount to improvement unless you can afford the time and ammo to shoot 100k a year, so start off with the drills in Mike's book and check out Steve Anderson and Ben Stoeger's books on dry fire. There is a thread on dry fire where Ben Stoeger puts together some drills and video of how to do them. Maybe start there. They are actually quite a bit of fun, There is a link to them in my Range Diary (link in signature), that that will show you how much dry fire a lot of us do.

Make an effort to get to one of Mike's classes. I took a class from him a while back and it was great. I got some of the best info yet from his book/class and he is a great teacher and a great guy.

First off, forget those POV cameras like Go Pro. While they make cool YouTube videos they are basically useless for training purposes since you need to be able to see yourself. Also, unless you train regularly with a GM training partner how do you know you are doing the techniques right? The only way is to take a class from a GM instructor so you know what right is and then video your training to make sure you're doing it right ....

As far as dry fire goes I think Ben Stoeger's dry fire book is superb.

Also, why wait till next year to take a class from Mike? Get your butt down here to Florida next week and take his 2 day class at my range on 11-12 Dec ... He's also hanging around to shoot our club match that Sat with all the students. Getting free coaching from a top GM for an entire 5hr match because you took his class the day before ... Don't get much better in this sport ...

Also, why wait till next year to take a class from Mike? Get your butt down here to Florida next week and take his 2 day class at my range on 11-12 Dec ... He's also hanging around to shoot our club match that Sat with all the students. Getting free coaching from a top GM for an entire 5hr match because you took his class the day before ... Don't get much better in this sport ...

Dude as attractive as that sounds (and boy does it sound good), I have a job but more frightening than my work boss, is my real boss the wifie, who is in her post-Thanksgiving/pre-Xmass frenetic frenzy. I'm going to have enough trouble getting away to a local IDPA match next Saturday. I already screwed up the turkey trying to cook it on my grill, I'm in the dog house as usual.

hmmmm .... what good is working if you can't take off to spend the money you make on the things you want ... :)

as for the other issue .... get a dog, they are cheaper in the long run and when you end up in the dog house at least you'll have a companion ... :)

as for the other issue .... get a dog, they are cheaper in the long run and when you end up in the dog house at least you'll have a companion ... :)

I have a dog, the dog and I share the couch a lot. The dog likes football and hockey. BTW the dog does not mind pistol fire, but does not like those big .223 rounds or whatever they use on the rifle range which is right behind our pistol action pits.

unfortunately even though I love dogs they are too high maintenance for my lifestyle .... I have 5 cats instead and when they all decide they want to sit on the couch with me I might as well have gotten a 130lb german shepard ...

• 1 month later...

when I ran through the program the first time I used it, it was very helpful. I would write in all the drills for each session for each phase ahead of time so that on training days I didn't have to think about what I was going to do ... just open up the logbook and see what was planned for that session ....

I just document the drills in a bound log book where I also put my notes down. I think writing up notes right after the session is very important i.e. I was not shooting well until I re-focused on the front site, I was shooting low and left because I was pulling the trigger too hard or I've got to get a good grip and a good site picture and stop worrying about the timer.

I could go on and on. I was thinking of drawing up a log sheet based on Seeklander's but I know I'll keep my log book with me. Its a running narrative of my shooting events, I'm going to start documenting the results and impression of matches in it too.