Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The offical Mike Seeklander Shooting performance training material thr

Mat Price

Hey guys I know allot of us are using mikes books and DVDs So I thought I would make kind of an official thread so that those of using the material can share ideas times and scores achievements ect. all in one place.

I will start. I started shooting oct. 2010 and had never really shot before. My first match was in oct-2010 also. I shot for a while with no real training method in production and limited. I did not do well at all. I moved to open and really started getting into shooting about 6 months ago. I knew I needed something anything to help me. But I didn't expect to get what i got out of mikes book competition handgun training program. About 5 months ago I was in the bottom of the D class open shooters after working hard and using the material should be in the next few rotations a SOLID a Class shooter.

Here is a video from back last September.

After this match I got mikes book and started training.

Here are two videos from this weekend. Where you will see a HUGE improvement.

1st open B, 1st B overall, 4th open overall behind two A class open shooters Who are EXTREMLY good. and 6th over all. behing two GM's two A open shooter and a M class shooter

OK so I am now in phase 2 Of the live fire Section. I took allot of time in phase one making sure my fundamentals where strong before moving into phase 2

here are my avg times for each drill in the Phase 1 session A live fire session

Drill: ext prep an press .89 99% alpha No D

drill: ext prep an Press horizontal 1.75 92% alpha no D

Drill: Static draw varied target 1.45 B 98% alpha 1.61 80% alpha H

Drill:Static with reload. 2.98 90% alpha B 3.51 85% alpha H

These are great drills and I have found they have really helped my target presentation. I find I run my best times when I relax totally and am right on the buzzer.

Edited by Mat Price

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Started Phase 2 session A live fire drills today. Boy they are challenging. I found a few things in these drills

Drill: one shot x: be smooth and drive the gun to the exact point your eyes are on the target. any un smootheness will cause a mike.

Drill acceleration/ deceleration: be fast on Target one as fast as you can and still get and acceptable sight picture. It doesn't have to be perfect its so close. then drive the gun very hard to the outside target and take your time lining up the shot, drive again to the steel break the shot and immedaitly shift focus back to close target driving the gun and again getting just enough sight picture so slam to A shots as soon as the second shot break drive the gun to the left slowing to not over transition. This is my favorite drill so far.

Can't wait to get these challenges down! this is REALLLY going to take me to the next level!

I picked up the book about a month after the suggested start time for the whole program, so I'm holding off on the full deal until next season.

I have however sampled some of the drills, both live and dry fire, as well as the mental aspects. It's amazing how easy it is to waste time and ammo without real direction; Mike's book gives you plenty of it!

My main observation so far:

Multi-Port Drill

Don't let the blast off of the target/port shock you, like it did me! Be sure you are within just a few inches of the barricade as per the instructions-- otherwise, you're not getting the benefit of learning the space. I was only prone to pulling the gun in when dropping to the low crouch position, but be sure to keep it extended throughout the drill. Visual patience is the key-- your sights will track all sorts of funky in some of the positions, and it's important to shoot the targets in the proper order to get the full experience of the drill. Weight shift, weight shift, weight shift-- it's a lot of movement at the core to make this one happen properly! Oh, and don't cheat with your feet-- it's easy to step out or get too wide of a base, which effectively negates the challenges of a box or tight fault line that the drill is intended to simulate to some degree.

some video of some of the drills from mikes program, and my analysis of them

multi port drill first run.

The good-

My stance is good nice and wide working from a solid base.

I saw the dot well in all positions.

got good hits.

the bad.

The draw was a little slow

I should be moving more aggressively between positions

started to the last postion to soon.

The Ugly.

I raised up to kneel down.

second run

Looks pretty good still should be more aggressive on the positions shifts but the kneel was much better.

3rd run

better into positions should keep kneeling to the left knee its more comfortable on my non surgical knee. Need to be more on the buzzer but my draw was good. I drew and moved at the same time. not to self comp blast destroys targets lol

Drill is short move into posistion: Broke the Reverse plug on my open gun and borrowed my buddies spartan

first run

Did well with a gun i never shot before and have not shot iron sights in about 10 months.

noticed I am adjusting my right foot before moving loosing time there. I should be exploding off that foot without any adjustment. Did well keeping the gun up. need to be sure i am moving as soon as I break my last shot.

2nd run is better hits were better by slowing down and getting a good sight picture.

Edited by Mat Price

Mat: great idea for a thread. I just started shooting back in November & decided that I should get some professional instruction before I spent a lot of time having to unlearn bad habits. I read a study a while back about sports training that indicated that if someone spent as little as 6 months learning to do something incorrectly it could take up to 2 years to train yourself to do that same skill correctly. So I was able to get my local shooting club to allow Mike to come out to our range to teach his Competitive Handgun training course this past Jan. he then stayed over the weekend and we put all the students on one squad and Mike shot with & coached us through our local club match the next day. After that I piocked up his DVDs & it felt like I was back in his class. We'll be bringing him back to teach his initial & advanced course this Dec but in the mean time I started his 3 phase training program. I'm currently half way through phase one & have shot 4 local matches including my very first one with Mike the day after the class. I shoot production with a Glock 34. My 4 matches have gone like this:

match 1: 46% As; 23 Ms

match 2: 58% As; 18 Ms

match 3: 74% As; 8 M's

match 4: 89% As; 3 M's (2 of those coming from a target I failed to engage because I failed to see it)

I'm still on a pretty vertical learning curve trying to learn shooting & competiton at the same time. Currently in a match I only focus on accuracy. Once I can shoot a match at at least 90% As with no Ms I'll start to work on the speed aspects of the sport.

Edited by Nimitz

his complete training program. I can only currently get to the range 2x/week so it's taking a little longer than if I were able to follow the program exactly as he lays out (3 live fire sessions/week). I'm doing well at the 5x/week dry fire sessions though. Also, I talked with Mike recently about substituting .22 work in the drill vice doing all 9mm. He thought it was a great idea and something that they all do. It really allows you to see and focus on what's happening during the firing cycle since there's no gun recoil to mask things. Never mind the fact that .22 ammo is 4 cents/rd vice 18 cents/rd for 9mm ...

Clip 1:
Cm 99-16
This is a GREAT Phase two Sesion A quiz It incorporates all the elements in session A
= Draw looked great moved and drew and was on target quick
- transition from hard cover to no shoot targets was great ( accel / decel drill)
- MAg change was slow and sloppy, get it up and be done moving to left side of barricade
-leaning to get that inside steel bending at wiast great!!! ( multi port drill)

Drill: long move into Position
First run:
- goo into box one
- not a great stance should be more wide and low
- be sure to begin shifting weight on the last shot fired
-good keeping the gun up be better entering the box smoother lower again shift weight sooner
reenter left box try to enter on right foot and distubute weight even weird funky one leg stance.

Second run:
Better in the right box
be faster out the first box
again get lower
stop that funky one leg stance on reenter into left box

third run:
Very good out the box
had gun up into first box
good to right box
still entering left box weird

Fourth run:
much smoother better hits
taking to much time in the boxs hit and move
shift weight in and out
STOP reentering the left box so goofy

overall get lower and wider
be more explosive out of the first box.
Shoot faster I can be faster on the trigger.

Drill One shot X drill:
not much to say about any of these clips
They look good I am transitioning well
the one thing to be sure to lead with my eyes
draw is good

Bill Drill
lol what can i say it was fun :) two c 4 A Edited by Mat Price

I'm almost finished with Phase I, at which point I'll post my stats like Mat did. However, I shoot Production & I can already tell you my numbers will be embarrassingly slow compared to his ... however, as a pre excuse for my stats I've only been shooting for 6 months & trying to learn competitive practical shooting at the same time ... and I'm really old ...:)

What would probably be more interesting is to post & compare my stats from the first day to the end of Phase I ...

Exactly Nimitz your personal progression is what's important. Post some videos also so we can compare notes and maybe point out some things u may have over looked. The goal is to get better at any level!!!!

ok shot another match today I am starting to really put the sessions into match use.

This is at the Jackson ms magnolia practical shooters lots of great shooters here.

I placed first B overall 2nd open and 4th overall behind a GM an A limited shooter.

Edited by Mat Price

ok, here's the video from my 3rd match on 3 March. I've shot one other match since then. When reviewing this video please remember that my primary focus at this point is accuracy. I'm not the least bit concerned with how fast I'm going. I am trying to pay attention to other things like transitions, reloading, etc but I didn't care how fast I was doing anything ... with that said, please feel free to comment about anything you see ... thx

If you are moving you should be reloading. Know round count. Learn to call your shots. If your sights are in alignment when the shot breaks that's calling your shots. :cheers:

Edited by a matt

yeah, I definitely had shoot plans that had me doing stationary reloads at first. I've since fixed that issue. My reload plans assume I don't have to take any make-up shots & instead of counting rounds which I find too difficult I count targets to plan my reloads, never shooting more than 5 targets without a planned reload & always planning reloads while moving. I talked about this with Mike during the first match he coached me through and asked if I should have a backup reload plan & he thought that was too much to do. Better to go with a solid reload plan, particularily one where you don't shoot more than 4 targets at a time if you can help it. Thereby having a few extra rounds if needed for a makeup shot or two while not having to do a slide lock reload. It also forces you to focus on shooting accuractely since you won't have the cruch of a back up plan if you don't shoot well ...

Nimitz why are you running the gun dry on every reload? if your going to find your going to run the gun dry go ahead and reload. where your at and at your level everything else looks pretty good! keep working the drills! you will find them all over stages.

I was running the gun dry because I didn't stick to my initial reload plan and/or needed make-up shots I hadn't planned for ...

yeah, for the virginia count stage with the 2 sets of 3 hard cover targets + mandatory reload that was just the stepping clock drill & stepping reload drill. Not surprising I shot a perfect 12 As for 12 shots & was my best stage of the match. Even though I was slow compared to others I still finished 9th out of 16 because of the pertfect score ...

If I get off my original plan with an extra reload I try to get back on it. You may have to reload sooner than needed but you will be back on original plan especially on field course. Keep the gun up and stay positive. Remember it's a mental game too. :cheers:

true. However, I'm still so new to matches that I'm still getting caught up in all that is going on at once which is why I'm trying to limit the number of variables. Right now matches are a 10 equation problem with 15 variables so the solution doesn't close yet (yes, I'm a rocket scientist ...) This is why my current number 1 priority is accuracy & once I can shoot a match at 90% As w/no M's I'll begin to add other elements of the sport. However, I am trying to focus on things like stage visualization & reload plans which have nothing to do with accuracy since they occur on every stage & are critical components of doing well ...my club has an organized USPSA practice session once a month which I'm going to start going to since I'll be able to work on match/stage related things in matchlike conditions but with the ability to try out & repeat things. I did add a second monthly match to work on match things but I think this will work out better for my learning since in a match you just get to run a stage once & that's it ...