Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock carry (pic heavy)

zipper046

OK. I'm LE, issued a G22 and carry daily off-duty. My first off-duty was a G23. But I thought that was too big, so bought a G27 and eventually put a Pearce +1 extension on it. This, to me was (and still may be) the best all around concealed carry weapon. However, over time and with too much research done I purchased a KIMBER Tactical Ultra II, removed the magwell and carried this around off-duty. While I like this platform alot, the smaller .45acp does lack in capacity and some 3" barreled 1911's are "finicky".

So, the other day I did a full on comparison between my Kimber Tactical Ultra 3" 1911 and my Glock 23. Short of the story....even though their respective listed dimensions differ, in reality they are the same size and the advantage goes to the GLOCK!

Below are the pics and observations:

1) You will see that the height of the Kimber from the rear sights to the bottom of the frame is 5". The same measurement on the Glock is slightly LESS than 5" (see photo's 2 & 5). ADVANTAGE: GLOCK

2) The width of the slide of the Kimber is SLIGHTLY less than the Glock but they are VERY CLOSE (about .10 of an inch apart), (see Photo 4). In actuality, the Glocks GRIP was thinner than the Kimber. The Kimber has grips that are convex (ie: rounded outwards so they are thicker in the middle) so measuring from the widest point of the grips the Kimber is WIDER than the Glock. ADVANTAGE: GLOCK

3) As for length...because of the beavertail grip safety, when the Kimber is cocked and locked it is pretty much the same length as the Glock (see photos 3 & 6). However because most of this length in the Kimber is the beavertail, the advantage is to the Glock since it's length is all slide and therefore has a longer sight radius (which is a good/helpful characteristic). ADVANTAGE: GLOCK

4) I also placed each weapon on top of each other (see pics 7, 8, 9, 10 below). You can see that the dimensions are pretty much the same.

5) I then weighed each FULLY LOADED (see photos 12, 13). The GLock was 1 lb, 15 oz. and the Kimber was 1 lb., 14 oz. Only about 1.25 oz difference! ADVANTAGE: KIMBER

So, bottom line...the Glock 23 is in reality the same size as a 3" 1911, has more capacity, a longer sight radius, better reliability, and is just as concealable. Yes it weighs a bit more, and the slide is a FRACTION of an inch wider, but for that small a difference to get more capacity and reliability...I'll take that any day.

I'm BACK TO CARRYING MY G23 (or G27, which is smaller than both!).

thought I'd share these observations.

Z-

post-13392-0-62147800-1331174706_thumb.j

post-13392-0-39732700-1331174717_thumb.j

post-13392-0-06150800-1331174733_thumb.j

post-13392-0-68169600-1331174771_thumb.j

post-13392-0-38317100-1331174788_thumb.j

post-13392-0-44035900-1331174824_thumb.j

post-13392-0-82794200-1331174894_thumb.j

post-13392-0-62243800-1331174914_thumb.j

post-13392-0-51925600-1331174929_thumb.j

post-13392-0-65886600-1331174947_thumb.j

post-13392-0-93019000-1331174983_thumb.j

post-13392-0-42457700-1331175569_thumb.j

Edited by zipper046

To me, the most-important consideration is "What do you shoot best under pressure?". I would suspect that it'd be the Glock, because you carry one at work and probably do a majority of your shooting with it.

I own 38 Super raceguns, 40 S&W hi-speed Limited, L-10, & Single-Stack guns, and my myriad of Glocks. I can usually better with my Glocks than the Open gun or the STIs , if capacity is not an over-riding factor. And it's not because the STIs suck and the Glock is the absolutely best IPSC pistol out there; it's because that's what I use on-duty and when I'm teaching. It just feels right to me because I am constantly shooting them.

To me, the most-important consideration is "What do you shoot best under pressure?". I would suspect that it'd be the Glock, because you carry one at work and probably do a majority of your shooting with it.

I own 38 Super raceguns, 40 S&W hi-speed Limited, L-10, & Single-Stack guns, and my myriad of Glocks. I can usually better with my Glocks than the Open gun or the STIs , if capacity is not an over-riding factor. And it's not because the STIs suck and the Glock is the absolutely best IPSC pistol out there; it's because that's what I use on-duty and when I'm teaching. It just feels right to me because I am constantly shooting them.

LOL...Yup, have to agree with ya! I have a Para P16-40 I shoot in Limited, and I do OK with it. Probably about the same as my G35 I have for limited (with practice, of course). But having shot Glocks for so many years it just "feels" right in my hand. Not the most perfect/comfortable fit (Sig's still fit my hand like a glove), but feels right because I've been conditioned to the Glock.

LOL...Yup, have to agree with ya! I have a Para P16-40 I shoot in Limited, and I do OK with it. Probably about the same as my G35 I have for limited (with practice, of course). But having shot Glocks for so many years it just "feels" right in my hand. Not the most perfect/comfortable fit (Sig's still fit my hand like a glove), but feels right because I've been conditioned to the Glock.

I think the sig fits like a glove in everybodys hands

I had a springfield ultra compact and hated it, dang thing was way to finickey about what it ate and lots of ftf & fte. Ended up trading it for a almost new g23 with night sights that eats anything and goes bang every time I pull the trigger. Deminsions were almost the same but I like the glock way better. Just my .02$

Edited by noexcuses