Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger Job on a Sig 229 - Who to use?

jasonk_jasonk

I picked up my M&P with a Burwell trigger job from the FFL yesterday and he was very impressed with the difference between a stock trigger and a worked on trigger. He commented on the fact that he needed to find someone to send his 229 to for a trigger tune up.

I'd like to help him find a good Sig man, not just some random guy off a google search. So who's the go to guys for Sig work around here?

Thanks,

Jason

Depending on how many rounds have been through his 229, he may want to do what DonovanM said and shoot it (or dry fire it) to smooth out the internals. My first 229 trigger smoothed up a lot after a case of ammo, and smoother feels lighter. That said, if he already has a lot of rounds through it or a lot of dry fire time on it and it hasn't smoothed up, he may want to have it worked on. I have a competition action job on my 226 by GGI, and it's great. I've heard very good things about Gerry, too. I'd recommend either.

I would also consider Apex Tactical.

http://www.apextactical.com/about.php

Prior to joining Apex Tactical, Scott worked for five years in various roles with well-known Master Gunsmith Bruce Gray of Grayguns, Inc. serving as an Apprentice, a Gunsmith and Shop Foreman for the custom gunsmithing operation known for specializing in H&K and Sig Sauer pistols. In his years with Grayguns, Scott also taught Practical Pistol shooting side by side with Bruce at multiple Grayguns Training courses across the United States.

• 2 weeks later...

My experience with my carry 226 was best with the Sig Factory. Gun went to GGI two times for a total cost of over $500 and it would not function reliably. Sig repaired what Gray Guns screwed up :surprise: Now the gun works, has a very nice trigger which resets as it should.

I will NEVER send anything to GGI again. Attitude was poor, service was poor, work was sub par. YMMV

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter

• 2 months later...

I would also consider Apex Tactical.

http://www.apextactical.com/about.php

Prior to joining Apex Tactical, Scott worked for five years in various roles with well-known Master Gunsmith Bruce Gray of Grayguns, Inc. serving as an Apprentice, a Gunsmith and Shop Foreman for the custom gunsmithing operation known for specializing in H&K and Sig Sauer pistols. In his years with Grayguns, Scott also taught Practical Pistol shooting side by side with Bruce at multiple Grayguns Training courses across the United States.

Apex told me to use Gray Guns ;'). I didn;t want to wait 12 weeks so I bought their comp spring kit and 2500 rounds later #7-#4 and smooth.

You can try Novak's if Bruces shop is super busy. Wayne is getting a little long in the tooth and he's crabby, but he has a great group of smiths working with him and they do custom Sig work. Everything they have done for me has been excellent and I have extreme confidence in them.

The SIG Pro Shop (@ the SIG Sauer Academy in Epping,NH) will probably have the best turn around time. Dylan Kenneson is one of their gunsmiths and instructors. In addition to being a great guy he's also an A-Master class USPSA and IDPA guy.

Bruce Gray does awesome work but turn around time could be hit or miss.

Just an FYI. They have speed up their time frames to get the jobs done. Most jobs are pretty quick right now. I think I read on SIg Forum they can get them done in as little as a week to 3 weeks.

I recently sent my 229 to SIG and hand them do a trigger job and install an SRT (short reset) sear. I am very happy with the work. Double action is very smooth. Single action is slightly over 2 lbs. with a very clean break. Not knocking the other "custom guys" as I am sure they do great work.

SIG calls it a "Action Enhancement Package" It cost $180.00 excluding shipping. Check out the SIG website for more info.