Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

recipe for precision delta 180gr fmj

lostinar

Hello friendlys I was hoping to knock out some different loads for .40 and 10mm this weekend and was trying to draw on the experience that lies within the enos borders.

I have titegroup, red dot, blue dot and I'll probably but a couple more powders on thursday when I can sneak away from the office for a minute.

I like titegroup for my 9mm loads but haven't used it in .40 or 10mm and was wondering if anyone had used it with any success. And red dot has always worked well for me but it's hard to find data for. What say you BE.com?

I have a couple thousand mixed headstamps that I will sort tonight and tomorrow, these are only being used for fun, I'm not needing to blow the head off of a rhino or anything.....

.40 will be fired through glock 23

10mm will go through a glock 20sf

So you just tell me to search...I searched for an hour and found a lot of info on TG for 9mm but I already have that worked out...so that's not that helpful.... I was looking for 10mm with either titegroup or red dot and I was wanting peoples opinions on whether or not TG and RD have too high a burn rate for 10mm/.40.

Hello friendlys I was hoping to knock out some different loads for .40 and 10mm this weekend and was trying to draw on the experience that lies within the enos borders.

I have titegroup, red dot, blue dot and I'll probably but a couple more powders on thursday when I can sneak away from the office for a minute.

I like titegroup for my 9mm loads but haven't used it in .40 or 10mm and was wondering if anyone had used it with any success. And red dot has always worked well for me but it's hard to find data for. What say you BE.com?

I have a couple thousand mixed headstamps that I will sort tonight and tomorrow, these are only being used for fun, I'm not needing to blow the head off of a rhino or anything.....

I shoot the PD 180 grain FMJ, but not with TightGroup. I gave away what TightGroup I had, three years ago. Nuff said there!

I use CCI 400 small rifle primers, and 5.4 grains of WSF powder. Out of my (Limited) 4.5" XDm the power factor is 172.

For my (Production) 4.5" XDm, a CCI 500 primer and 5.6 grains of WSF is required to make a power factor of 170.

Since nobody has answered his question. I worked up a load with Titegroup for a 180 berrys bullet for my m&p pro 5 inch.

I used mixed brass, federal primers, and my OAL was 1.125. The temperature outside was 55 degrees and I used a CED chrono.

with 4.9 grains I shot 10 over the chrono

Average velocity 936.7 fps

Average PF 168.6

Hi shot 961.7 fps

Low Shot 916.1 fps

Extreme Spread = 45.6 fps

Standard Deviation = 14.9 fps

I started out at 4.6 and it was too low. Avg PF was 163.8

Bumped to 4.8 and got an average PF of 166.8

Since nobody has answered his question. I worked up a load with Titegroup for a 180 berrys bullet for my m&p pro 5 inch.

I used mixed brass, federal primers, and my OAL was 1.125. The temperature outside was 55 degrees and I used a CED chrono.

with 4.9 grains I shot 10 over the chrono

Average velocity 936.7 fps

Average PF 168.6

Hi shot 961.7 fps

Low Shot 916.1 fps

Extreme Spread = 45.6 fps

Standard Deviation = 14.9 fps

I started out at 4.6 and it was too low. Avg PF was 163.8

Bumped to 4.8 and got an average PF of 166.8

Thank you Baba that was exactly the answer I was looking for.

I shoot the PD 180 grain FMJ, but not with TightGroup. I gave away what TightGroup I had, three years ago. Nuff said there!

I use CCI 400 small rifle primers, and 5.4 grains of WSF powder. Out of my (Limited) 4.5" XDm the power factor is 172.

For my (Production) 4.5" XDm, a CCI 500 primer and 5.6 grains of WSF is required to make a power factor of 170.

May I ask why you gave it away, were you unhappy with the performance, too dirty...etc

For 10mm, one of the best plinker loads is a 180gr bullet 6.0gr WSF with a CCI LP primer set to 1.250" OAL. For a little more oomph, 9.2gr Longshot is scary accurate.

For 40, I load 180gr bullet with 5.5gr WSF, CCI SP primer set to 1.125" OAL.

The OP clearly stated he is going to try other powders, and mentioned slipping away from work to buy some. I gave him my recommendation. ;)

I found TightGroup to be pretty dirty, for sure. However, my greatest concern was pressure. The stuff is not consistant, from a 20 degree February match to a 95 degree August match. Velocities were all over the place! That is not a good thing, expecially with the fast burn rate of this powder.

Those were my conclusions . . . yours may vary ;)

May I ask why you gave it away, were you unhappy with the performance, too dirty...etc

Yeah I dunno why I read it wrong, but tired and hallucinating. I thought he just wanted titegroup loads. Oops.

In all honesty I wanted both so thank you for supplying a TG recipe....I'll cook some up tonight

For 10mm, one of the best plinker loads is a 180gr bullet 6.0gr WSF with a CCI LP primer set to 1.250" OAL. For a little more oomph, 9.2gr Longshot is scary accurate.

For 40, I load 180gr bullet with 5.5gr WSF, CCI SP primer set to 1.125" OAL.

I followed this same advice from freakshow when I first started loading 10mm a few years ago. I was extremely lucky to find THE perfect 180gr 10mm load, with the first powder I tried (Longshot). Ofcourse, that longshot load isn't anywhere near 165PF (probably 220+ out of that G20SF), but his WSF load should be around 180PF if you're looking for that type of load.

Edited by MEAT

I'm not a tightgroup guy for the 40. My favorite with 180 FMJ and general target shooting is WSF in midrange loadings. For the same bullet in 10mm, WSF is fine, and I've had good luck with Unique and AutoComp.

Edited by FLSlim