Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FN SLP and shooting slugs

I'm working with slugs in my SLP and am wondering what everyone else has found effective. What brands and what choke are you using? I have been using the Remington sluggers with the imp cyl and accuray is good at 50-60, but falls apart at 100 yards. I have had good luck at 100 with some old S&B slugs, but I can't find that type anymore, they are longer that 2 3/4, oh ya, they also beat the snot out of me. <_<

Hoping to cut the learning curve by getting some suggestions.

Try Brennecke reduced recoil slugs. Also if your gun will cycle the Fiocchi Aero reduced recoil slugs. Federal work good too. All of the shoot well out of my SX3 and are POA at 50 yards and close at 100.

gerritm

Remington Disintegrator slugs (Lead free frangible, made for shooting at steel targets) are awesome. LIke rifle shooting. Kind of zippy, but theres never that many slug shots.

I and a couple other shooters I know have been unhappy with Remington Low Recoil slugs in the last year or so-something has changed about them. Including the blue cased ones made for law enforcement -just not cycling like they used to in Benelli.

All of the reduced recoil slugs shoot tight out of my SLP, with IC choke, at 50yds. None of them group well at 100. I started out using Federal low recoil, but at 100 they were terrible through my gun. Right now I am switching to B&P reduced recoil slugs. B&Ps cycle my gun, are very soft on the shoulder and I can usually keep most shots inside of a 12" circle at 100. They just about shoot 1 hole at 50. Light modified choke works OK with the groups opening up slightly. Inside of 50yds I'll use the Light modified choke without reservation. If slugs are outside 50, I usually try to find a way to us IC. Unfortunately the low recoil B&P slugs are tough to get your hands on right now. They are currently back ordered into May and if you aren't on the list now, you probably won't see them untill well into summer. Right now, your best bet is to grab a sample of Fiocci Aero, low recoils and give them a try. They are cost effective and if they will run in your gun, should be reasonably accurate.

Something has certainly changed with the Rem Sluggers. They do not feed as reliably and the accuracy is not as good as they used to be. With LM or M, I get 6" 100 yard groups with my 2010 stock.

B&Ps are certainly low recoil but they won't cycle in some situations. They are a tad smoky and the accuracy for me was not good enough. The WinLites feed and function very well and the accuracy is decent.

The accuracy in the SLPs, across the board is a bit better than the other platforms due to the heavier barrel and the chrome lining. Not the same as the SX versions of the SLP competition versions. Also, in most cases, the POI/POA will be affected with Low recoil slugs if you have it benched or supported. It might not be a bad idea to select a load that functions 100% for 50 yards and in and then use a more expensive, or full power load for 50 yards plus.

RM3G and Blue Ridge can have some longer slugs shots. Iron-Man, with the slug spinners, I'd suggest you have full power slugs with precise accuracy.

Something has certainly changed with the Rem Sluggers. They do not feed as reliably and the accuracy is not as good as they used to be. With LM or M, I get 6" 100 yard groups with my 2010 stock.

B&Ps are certainly low recoil but they won't cycle in some situations. They are a tad smoky and the accuracy for me was not good enough. The WinLites feed and function very well and the accuracy is decent.

The accuracy in the SLPs, across the board is a bit better than the other platforms due to the heavier barrel and the chrome lining. Not the same as the SX versions of the SLP competition versions. Also, in most cases, the POI/POA will be affected with Low recoil slugs if you have it benched or supported. It might not be a bad idea to select a load that functions 100% for 50 yards and in and then use a more expensive, or full power load for 50 yards plus.

RM3G and Blue Ridge can have some longer slugs shots. Iron-Man, with the slug spinners, I'd suggest you have full power slugs with precise accuracy.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is having issues with the sluggers, I couldn't figure it our, they were fine last year.

My accuracy quest involves the spinner at Ironman last year, it gave me a bad whoopin last year. :blink:

I tried the Winlites James was running last year. They shot great through my shotty. When I went to look for them, I found they had been discontinued and no one has any left. Winchester has released a new and improved and much more expensive Winlite. I wasn't willing to drop the $7 per box just to try them out. I'll admit that the BPs are right on the hairy edge of reliable cycling, but so far the are the best option I have found. It's a lame point anyways, since no one can get them. I only have a handfull a buddy gave me to get me by untill my backorder is filled. If I run out, I will be back searching for slugs again. It's tough because there are not many low recoil slug options available localy, and I can never find a selection of options at one supplier. Shipping doubles the cost per box, if you have to buy a couple of boxes here and a couple of boxes there.

I haven't been too impressed with Remington lately. Thier slugs blow and last time I was at the range, I had a factory remington field load seperate on me, leaving the hull in the chamber and the base in my hand. The STSs seem to run well, but based on the quality in many of thier other products lately, I don't think I will be giving them much of my buisiness in the future.

I'm working with slugs in my SLP and am wondering what everyone else has found effective. What brands and what choke are you using? I have been using the Remington sluggers with the imp cyl and accuray is good at 50-60, but falls apart at 100 yards.

Not too many matches with slug shots to 100 yards, but if you absolutely must, then try an extended rifled choke with sabots. Used one for a Mossberg with the same thread (Invector). IIRC paid $20 for the choke tube from CDNN. Sabots cost more than the choke but grouped 4" @ 100.