Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.38 IDPA load- least residue

solaritx

now that people have been shooting the new IDPA power factor, which powders work the best for the least residue build-up in the revolver?

With plated/jacketed?

With moly (I am shooting Bayou)

I have used Solo 1000 and 231. Heard good things about N320. Clays??? Other powders that are clean. I am tired of having to clean the gun way to much to insure quick reloads.

Garry N

I don't load with Solo 1000 nor 231. As I understand things from people who load with it, it's very easy to make nice light loads and/or loads that make power factor. The downside is that these lighter loads don't burn all the powder leaving excess residue.

I have used Solo 1000 and 231. Heard good things about N320. Clays??? Other powders that are clean. I am tired of having to clean the gun way to much to insure quick reloads.

Garry N

I used some N320 with Barrys 125 bullets...I was surprised how dirty it was. In all my autoloaders, N320 is super clean and feels the best. However, in the .38 bullets, they are lighter loads than my autoloaders so the powder is probably not burned completely, as mentioned above. A faster powder would probably be cleaner as far as the powder but not sure about the residue.

yep, that is what I have been finding as well. Powders that have produced well for me in the semi-auto have left me wanting in the revolver. Understand the reason (lower pf = unburn powder) but .....???

Do you find this worse with moly/lead? Cleaner with plated/jacketed?

Have been running pretty clean in the 625-.45 but have to scrub the heck out of the .38

Looking for suggestions.....keep them coming.....PLEASE :rolleyes:

Garry

• 3 weeks later...

The last lead bullets I used with Solo 1000 were Laser Cast 158gr LRN and I didn't have any real "residue issues." I usually at least lightly clean the cylinder after every match but may not do anything else.

ive had good luck with 4.3 grs of w231 and bayou 160 gr RN with a COL of 1.555. PF runs about 128 but is still a soft load out of my GP100. I also had no issues with ejecting spent cases during my reloads. when i get some time i am going to experiment with some real light loads (around 3.6 grs of w231) to see how those are build up wise.

I've been using Bullseye and Berry's plated bullets. I've run a bunch of 130+ PF with no problems. I just put a little less Bullseye for a 110-115 power factor. I haven't run a lot of the lower PF, but so far they seem just as clean. I brush the chambers just before a match and not again until the next match. I've been using Bullseye in .38 loads for 30 years. ;)

Bill

• 2 months later...

I've been using 3.5 Grns of TrailBoss with Extreme RNFP's(110PF) for .38 Special.

Burns super clean, my left thumb has hardly any residue on it compared to Titegroup or American Select.

It works great for Steel Challenge, makes for a difficult reload for IDPA.

I'm switching to Berry's 158 RN bullets.

Edited by checkenbach