Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Selecting a new limited gun

tbarker13

After shooting with my current limited gun (STI edge, no slide cuts, etc.), I've gotten the craving for something different. And after reading tons of threads here, it looks like I'm going with Matt Cheely for my new baby.

I want something that's going to keep the felt recoil fairly soft. I'm torn between a couple configurations.

The one I'm leaning toward is:

Short dust cover, hybrid (sight tracker) barrel, with tungsten guide rod. The hope is that the heavier barrel, tungsten guiderod and lighter slide will combine to keep me pretty close to what I'm shooting now - in terms of felt recoil.

The added bonus is that I can always add a second top later if I want to shoot 9mm ESP in IDPA. And I could switch out guide rods if I decide I want a lighter front.

The other option would be the full length dust cover with or without the hybrid barrel.

I guess the only thing holding me back from 100 percent commitment to my first build is the fact that I've never shot a gun like it. I'm trying to find someone locally with something similar to give it a shot.

Just wondering if anyone else has gone through a similar scenario. In the end, I'm sure that no matter what I choose, I will enjoy shooting it.

Wow - sounds like Matt is going to be busy..., I suspect that you will not be displeased with anything that comes from Matt Cheely. I have a box o' parts in his shop waiting in the queue at the moment.

I've never shot a sighttracker style gun, but my first limited gun was a STI poly grip, SDC, bull barrel, fat Wilson tugnsten guide rod (+1.5-2.0oz over a standard tungsten guide rod) and normal serrations, no lightening. It weighed ~40oz and I shot the snot out of it.

I'm now evaluating/shooting an SV steel grip LDC with a 5" and 6" topends, bull barrels, SS guide rods trying to decide which I like better. So far the 5" "feels" better in that it is most similar to my old limited gun. At first, the 6" topend felt really long, like aiming a telephone pole. But after a considerable amount of dry fire over the last couple of weeks (and not switching back-n-forth with the 5") I'm getting used to it.

The gun with the 5" topend is 44oz, add 4oz for the 6". In 5" trim the balance is aft of the trigger guard. In 6" trim, it balances exactly on the trigger guard. Others watching me shoot say the 6" seems to "float" as I'm shooting it. I don't know if that's good or bad yet.

Bob L. of Brazos Custom put up an article that discussed the whole weight/balance topic on his website and even had a chart detailing the various component combinations that would result in a lighter to heavier gun. You can find it here.

Trying to find someone local with the sighttracker and asking them to shoot it is your best bet. But if you can't, then talk with Matt somemore. He'll be able to provide you with the necessary guidance.

I wouldn't describe the recoil impulse of a lightened slide as softer. A standard edge, at least to me, feels like a softer recoil impulse then my lightened edge. The reason I went with a lightened edge is that i like the responsiveness of it. The recoil impulse seems to be over quicker and my sights come back into alignment faster but I would certainly not describe it as feeling soft. If your after a soft shooting gun, lightening up the slide may not be the ticket. At least that's my experience.

Definitely shoot something similar to what your wanting and compare it to what you have.

Cheers.

Thanks for that Brazos link. That was a great read.

I have talked a bit (through email exchanges) with Matt about the recoil issues. I'm paraphrasing, but he suggested that the combo I'm looking at would be pretty close to what I'm shooting now.

As long as it's close, I think I'd be fine with that. I mean, the Edge (essentially stock) that I'm shooting now feels like it has virtually no recoil.

I'm probably worrying too much about the recoil issue. I've just spent most of my handgun life with 9mms. So 40 is just something I'm getting used to.

I'm betting the combo of tungsten guide rod and heavier hybrid barrel will get me where I want to be.

Edited by tbarker13

I'm probably worrying too much about the recoil issue. I've just spent most of my handgun life with 9mms. So 40 is just something I'm getting used to.

I'm betting the combo of tungsten guide rod and heavier hybrid barrel will get me where I want to be.

Well part of the fun of any game is the desire to maximize/optimize your equipment choices. IMHO, unless you wet noodle the gun while shooting it, you'll get used to any configuration with good results. I always have to remind myself that past a certain minimum, results are more a function of practice than the equipment itself :roflol: .

Your Matt project sounds like you will have something close but perhaps slightly biased towards the front vs. what you shoot now. My understanding of the sighttracker is that the rib adds weight out front like the tungsten guide rod and reduces the reciprocating weight of the slide and decreases the tendency for the gun to cam barckwards and up while in your grip. If you go that route and find it's too nose heavy, you can always replace the tungsten guide rod with a stainless or even aluminum unit to reduce the weight in front.

Matt mentioned something along those lines as well - the ability to change out guide rods. I do like the idea of having that versatility. And I think I kind of like a heavier nose on the gun.

If only I could spend a month shooting one of each:) Even better, if I could own one of each.

After shooting with my current limited gun (STI edge, no slide cuts, etc.), I've gotten the craving for something different. And after reading tons of threads here, it looks like I'm going with Matt Cheely for my new baby.

I want something that's going to keep the felt recoil fairly soft. I'm torn between a couple configurations.

The one I'm leaning toward is:

Short dust cover, hybrid (sight tracker) barrel, with tungsten guide rod. The hope is that the heavier barrel, tungsten guiderod and lighter slide will combine to keep me pretty close to what I'm shooting now - in terms of felt recoil.

The added bonus is that I can always add a second top later if I want to shoot 9mm ESP in IDPA. And I could switch out guide rods if I decide I want a lighter front.

The other option would be the full length dust cover with or without the hybrid barrel.

I guess the only thing holding me back from 100 percent commitment to my first build is the fact that I've never shot a gun like it. I'm trying to find someone locally with something similar to give it a shot.

Just wondering if anyone else has gone through a similar scenario. In the end, I'm sure that no matter what I choose, I will enjoy shooting it.

I just got my new limited gun yesterday and it is exactly what your wanting. It is a short dust cover 5in hybrid sight tracker, as for recoil that is all perceived differently by everybody but to me this gun shoots extremely flat with hardlly any felt recoil. I will be having another sight tracker top end fitted in 9mm for steel challenge.

I just got my new limited gun yesterday and it is exactly what your wanting. It is a short dust cover 5in hybrid sight tracker, as for recoil that is all perceived differently by everybody but to me this gun shoots extremely flat with hardlly any felt recoil. I will be having another sight tracker top end fitted in 9mm for steel challenge.

Awesome. I'd love to see a photo of it. Your description certainly does sound like what I'm looking for.

Well, after much thought, I settled on my gun.

Going with the short dust cover, hybrid barrel and tungsten guide rod.

And I went ahead and added the 9mm top, set up for IDPA.

Figuring this wonderful piece of machinery will handle pretty much all of my competition needs between the two games.

Of course, now comes the waiting.

He estimated 4-6 months on the build. I'm hoping for four. But mentally preparing for six.

4-6 months isn't bad, I've been waiting 9 months so far for a Brazos build and I still have three to go. My next build will be one of Matt's guns.

Matt has been great to work with. This is my first time down this path - and he has been incredibly patient with all of my questions.

I'm trying to add a bit of personalization to the two slides (9mm and .40) by having something (a latin phrase) inscribed one side of each slide.

• 3 weeks later...

So how is it running? I'm about to order the same basic gun to replace my Edge...