Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40long to 9mmlong

IMABALL

Are the external dimensions the same for both barrels just a different bore?

i would like to get a 5 inch 9mm barrel for my 5 inch 40sw.

Thanks

Storm lake conversion barrels are available for the FS and compact.

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?&newcategorydimensionid=3418

Check their website or contact them directly.

Here's another helpful M&P site.

http://mp-pistol.com/boards/

great thanks for the help, so it will be a conversion barrel then..Thanks for the MP link awesome

Replacing the barrel does not solve the issue of having the wrong size breach face on the slide...... <_<

great thanks for the help, so it will be a conversion barrel then..Thanks for the MP link awesome

Replacing the barrel does not solve the issue of having the wrong size breach face on the slide...... <_<

I understand your point of view but apparently SL makes a conversion barrel that works.

The 9mm and 40SW use the same shell plate and different buttons.

http://www.brianenos.com/pages/dillon/cal.conv.chart.html

Same recoil spring, striker and everything else except mags.

I haven't tried it but MANY have and they like it. Sure some have had FTE's but so have some with factory barrels.

http://mp-pistol.com/boards/index.php?/topic/30722-converting-40sw-to-a-9mm-luger/page__hl__%2Bconversion+%2Bbarrels

For the press shell plate comment. Yes the same shell plate is used between 9mm and .40. The reason why you need to use different buttons is because the 9mm brass is a smaller diameter and you need larger head buttons to keep the brass biased to the inside radius of the shell plate cut outs. Try using the .40 buttons when reloading 9mm ammo, it will fail because the brass will wobble around within the shell plate cut outs making the brass not line up with the dies. This same situation happens when you try to use a 9mm barrel with a .40 slide. The Breach face on a .40 slide is cut larger to work with the .40 diameter brass. The 9mm, .40 and .357 Sig barrels use the same locking lug design/shape/profile so you can swap them out between slides and they will function correctly from a locking/unlocking perspective. Because they are interchangeable there is nothing stopping you from creating and invalid combination. Such as a 9mm barrel put on a .40 slide. Or a .40 barrel put on a 9mm slide.

The reason why the guys who put 9mm barrels on .40 slides have Failure To Eject jams is because the extractor and breach face on the .40 slide are not designed to properly grab and eject the smaller 9mm brass.

Lets put this into a real world perspective. I can use a Rock to pound a nail into a board. Or I can use a hammer to pound a nail into a board. Both will "Work", but one will work a lot more effectively and last a WHOLE LOT longer than the other. I will let you decide which is the proper tool for the job.

Edited by CHA-LEE

For the press shell plate comment. Yes the same shell plate is used between 9mm and .40. The reason why you need to use different buttons is because the 9mm brass is a smaller diameter and you need larger head buttons to keep the brass biased to the inside radius of the shell plate cut outs. Try using the .40 buttons when reloading 9mm ammo, it will fail because the brass will wobble around within the shell plate cut outs making the brass not line up with the dies. This same situation happens when you try to use a 9mm barrel with a .40 slide. The Breach face on a .40 slide is cut larger to work with the .40 diameter brass. The 9mm, .40 and .357 Sig barrels use the same locking lug design/shape/profile so you can swap them out between slides and they will function correctly from a locking/unlocking perspective. Because they are interchangeable there is nothing stopping you from creating and invalid combination. Such as a 9mm barrel put on a .40 slide. Or a .40 barrel put on a 9mm slide.

The reason why the guys who put 9mm barrels on .40 slides have Failure To Eject jams is because the extractor and breach face on the .40 slide are not designed to properly grab and eject the smaller 9mm brass.

Lets put this into a real world perspective. I can use a Rock to pound a nail into a board. Or I can use a hammer to pound a nail into a board. Both will "Work", but one will work a lot more effectively and last a WHOLE LOT longer than the other. I will let you decide which is the proper tool for the job.

OK, I'm in.

Again, I understand your point about the breach face, case diameter, etc....

I've read most of your messages, at least in the M&P area.

I've seen your build, watched some of your videos and respect your view point.

But, have YOU tried the conversion barrel?

As I stated, I have NOT. Many have tried it and it has worked for them.

On post #11 a guy claims 18K trouble free rounds with his conversion.

http://mp-pistol.com/boards/index.php?/topic/30722-converting-40sw-to-a-9mm-luger/page__hl__%2Bconversion+%2Bbarrels

If SOME people claim to have positive results using a 40SW to 9 mm conversion why do you insist that on stating that it will not work?

Edited by LikesToShoot

S&W uses the same extractor and breech face on the M&P for both 9mm and .40S&W. The gun was originally made with .40S&W in mind and then minimal changes were done to convert it to 9mm (mostly just a different barrel and more narrow diameter opening for that barrel on the slide). This is actually why some people occasionally have issues with 9mm guns extracting (though I've never hit this issue) and why Apex made a specific 9mm extractor option for the gun.

So yes, you may have issues - but none that you wouldn't risk encountering with the factory 9mm setup.

You do have to use a conversion barrel though. A factory 9mm barrel won't quit fit a .40S&W slide as the front opening is a different diameter.

Edited by MGMorden

• 3 weeks later...

Are the external dimensions the same for both barrels just a different bore?

i would like to get a 5 inch 9mm barrel for my 5 inch 40sw.

Thanks

Well now I know first hand that the Storm Lake 40SW to 9mm conversion works, and it works VERY well.

Two weeks ago I ordered the M&P 40 Pro, 5", I also called Storm Lake to order the conversion barrel. They were out of stock but planning to make another run on them, that was last week. To my surprise it was on my door step yesterday, so I ran to the range and fired 180 of 9mm thru it. The POI was the same as the POA. I had one stove pipe on the last mag and that was the only problem.

Today I shot 300 rounds through it in a match and had ZERO problems.

This Pro is now my ESP, SSP, and Limited Major (minor) gun.

• 1 month later...

S&W uses the same extractor and breech face on the M&P for both 9mm and .40S&W. The gun was originally made with .40S&W in mind and then minimal changes were done to convert it to 9mm (mostly just a different barrel and more narrow diameter opening for that barrel on the slide). This is actually why some people occasionally have issues with 9mm guns extracting (though I've never hit this issue) and why Apex made a specific 9mm extractor option for the gun.

So yes, you may have issues - but none that you wouldn't risk encountering with the factory 9mm setup.

You do have to use a conversion barrel though. A factory 9mm barrel won't quit fit a .40S&W slide as the front opening is a different diameter.

This applies to my guns which is 1 M&P40 and 1 M&P9:

The opening on the 40 slide is exactly the same as the 9mm slide. Both 9 and 40 barrels have the same external dimensions. Only difference is bore size. My M&P40 barrel will fit in my M&P9 slide and vice versa. I've measured them with calipers and there is no difference. The extracters, ejecters and every other part is the same except barrels and mags. If you look at the factory S&W parts for the M&P you will see that the same part is listed for the 9,357 and 40. The only caliber specific parts are for the 45.