Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cajun Reduced Springs

huskerlrrp

So I received the new Cajun Gun Works reduced power trigger spring and an 11.5 lb mainspring. David was a pleasure to work with and he went beyond what was expected (or necessary) to make a slower shipment right. Based on the initial transaction, I'd recommend doing business with him to others. He also stocks some standard CZ parts if you are in the market. I have no affiliation with David or Cajun gunworks so I don't have conflict of interest with what I'm about to share.

Ok, now here's the scoop...

Test weapon and equipment:

CZ SP01 Shadow Custom (9mm)(pn# 91715)

CZ Custom (new) trigger spring (pn# 10067)

CZ 13lb mainspring (pn# 30027)

@3500-5000 trigger pulls on the TRS and mainspring (estimate from fired rounds plus dry fire practice)

Weapon has had IonBond coating but only action surface to be done was hammer (not sear). This was done at the same time of spring replacement.

Lyman digital trigger pull gauge with 10 pulls per sample and then averaged

Weapon and action surfaces lubricated (Mobil1 synthetic oil)

"Stock CZ Custom setup" (see above)

Double action average: 8lb 6.1oz

Single action average: 2lb 13.3oz

Replaced CZ trigger spring with Cajun reduced spring and existing 13lb mainspring

Double action average: 7lb 12oz

Single action average: 2lb 5.5oz

Replaced 13lb mainspring with Cajun 11.5lb version (reduced trigger spring still installed)

Double action average: 7lb 3.1oz

Single action average: 2lb 4.3

If I had to do this test again, I'd probably use brand new CZ factory springs (maybe they already have some relaxation?) and I'd probably degrease the entire firing mechanisms to discount the affect of the lubricant. I'd also not use pounds and ounces (metric system rules).

I find that the Lyman gauge can behave differently based on the rate of speed that you pull back (not done intentionally for these samples). I calculated a Cpk (statistics BS) of 0.35- 0.56 so it's not exactly the most predictable tool to measure the trigger pull. A fixture to do a constant velocity trigger pull would probably help alot.

With that said, there is an obvious marked improvement with the Cajun reduced power springs. Now I need to shoot the snot out of it and see how durable they are.

Good shooting...

Edited by huskerlrrp

I bought the CGW ultra light DA kit. I installed the 8.5 mainspring and extended firing pin with reduced firing pin spring and had no problems igniting federal primers, but after the mainspring spring had a couple thousand trigger pulls on it I started getting light strikes with federal primers and had to move to the 12 spring to get reliable ignition with federal primers. The 12 lb spring will still light strike winchester primers.

For me, I've decided I'm just fine with: 13lb hammer-spring + reduced power firing pin spring + extended firing pin = light and smooth and shootable DA, that doesn't completely rob the "crispness" of the SA (15lb hammer-spring feels a bit crisper to me, but the DA isn't as nice), but really no chance of light-strikes ruining a Saturday and I can shoot any primers/ammo out there without having to worry about it...

IMHO, the DA/SA transition is really the thing, a pound lighter won't help me there enough to chance light-strikes.

this information is pretty solid, but is there anyway to take out some of the pretravel in the SA trigger for cz?

for me the biggest issue is not the weight of the pull but the actual pretravel. i know you dont have to let the trigger all the way out every shot but coming from a 1911 style trigger this is a big jump.