Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nitrocarbonization vs Black-T

Haraise

I think you are missing a 0.

I think a lot of the mixed reviews come from choice of application, and a lot of people assuming IonBond is a coating and not a coating company. IonBond has many many coatings and not all of them perform as well as their DimaondBLACK product. They OEM coat for a lot of major manufacturers and not all of them choose their best coating (cost would be my guess) but other lesser performing products. Locally, there is a IonBond facility that coats the parts we make and though it is much better than a lot of options, it is NOT to the performance level of DiamondBLACK.

If the metal will wear due to disparities in hardness or whatever, the coating can only protect a part for so long, that is why plating's appear to wear so long. The fact is they are thick and if you made them as thin as the ultra thin PVD coatings, the wear would show quickly.

PVD coatings aren't magic though, you need to know what applications are appropriate, and if you have a soft substrate, it will improve the performance, but not prevent all wear. That is why I don't suggest putting it on aluminum, when hard anodizing is more appropriate.

We have used DLC in many applications at work. Probably not the same process as Ionbond, but they are all in the same family. DLC is an extremely hard coating. If the material underneath deforms at all, it makes it possible for the DLC to come lose and flake off. The softer the material is, the more load the part sees, the higher the risk of the DLC flaking off. From what I understand the process has improved greatly and the likeliness of problems is much less than just a few years ago.

We have used DLC in many applications at work. Probably not the same process as Ionbond, but they are all in the same family. DLC is an extremely hard coating. If the material underneath deforms at all, it makes it possible for the DLC to come lose and flake off. The softer the material is, the more load the part sees, the higher the risk of the DLC flaking off. From what I understand the process has improved greatly and the likeliness of problems is much less than just a few years ago.

That is what we have seen. I know before we started using it, they did have some issues, but I know they have made changes in the recent past to improve performance, and I have only seen adhesion issues a few times.

Looks like nitrocarb is .0004-.0008. That makes it by far the thickest of the three applications we're talking about here. Interesting.

That's depth of the treatment not "added thickness". It's a metal treatment, not a coating, nitrogen and carbon are diffusing directly into the metal. Any dimensional changes or distortion are a result of heat used in the process and its minimal.

Edited by BlueOvalBandit

There may be dimensional growth changes of 0.0002" to 0.0004" which is pretty negligible. Carburizing in its simplest form is just placing steel in a carbon rich environment at an elevated temperature for X amount of time. This allows carbon to diffuse into the outer layer of steel(which in its basic form is just an alloy of carbon and iron). The increased carbon in the outer layers when quenched forms martensite(an extremely hard phase of steel) and increases hardness of the steel on the surface. How hard you can make steel is pretty much entirely based off its carbon content, other elements such as chromium, nickel, etc add corrosion resistance and make it easier to quench which forms the martensite.

The the answer is still the same, it doesn't add, but nitrocarb is a grayish color not black. Then there are different process which blacken it and that varies. My suggestion is find someone who does it and see what they say about the finished product. Even with melonite there are different variations QPQ for example is quenched polished and quenched again. Polishing will removed a minute amount of surface stock by nature and may take any changes back to zero.

Edited by BlueOvalBandit

Well, I'm a little late to the party, but I'll jump in with my experiences with Black-T anyway. I have a Colt Officers ACP that I've carried concealed here in the desert southwest for over 15 years with the Black-T finish. When I sent the gun to be finished it had a 4# trigger pull for carry purposes. When I got it back the pull was a little over 3# and I had to tweak the sear spring to bring it back up to 4#. The only oil I've ever used on the gun was a drop on each slide rail after cleaning. The self lubricating properties of Black-T are a proven fact in my book! As for wear and corrosion resistance, I've never had any rust on the gun and yes, the edges of the gun show holster wear but as I've said, no corrosion whatsoever! If you want a pretty gun then go with a finish that has better wear properties, but if you want a finish that holds up great for a serious carry gun I don't think Black-T can be beat! I can post a couple of pics if anyone is interested in seeing how the finish has held up to 15+ years of carry.

By all means, I'd be glad to see your officer!

Here you go. As I said, I've been carrying this gun for over 15 years with this finish, in both leather and kydex holsters. There is some marring in the actual finish and the black coating is worn through on the edges to the hard chrome or whatever it is they use under the black, but I've never had a corrosion problem. I also posted a pic of the frontstrap checkering to show how well the black finish has held up on the checkering.

post-21-0-95194100-1330846933_thumb.jpg

post-21-0-29064800-1330846950_thumb.jpg

post-21-0-70612900-1330847163_thumb.jpg

Edited by 392heminut