Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

find the dot

hennuc

I have a 627 that I'd like to shoot my first Steel Match with. I felt like I wasn't getting the sight picture fast enough with the stock iron sights, so I figured, I love a red dot on a carbine, lets put it on the revolver. Using the dot, a Leupold Deltapoint, I can move from shots 2-5 fine, but I am having a hard time "finding" the dot on my first shot. Any suggestions?

I think the secret it always practice. It takes some getting used to finding the dot when you are used to iron sights. A few hours of practice and you will get the muscle memory down to find the dot right off. On steel matches, if my eyes move to the target correctly and my hands follow the way they should the dot or the iron sights end up in perfect alignment between me and the target. I can shoot my 617 irons faster than my girlfriends tacsol Cmore buckmark. At that speed I believe feel outweighs conscious thought.

Lee

Heard a master class open shooter say "if you can't find the dot, just shoot the damn thing! It will just appear." Seems he's right but it don't work out real well with a revo. :rolleyes: Besides if I did it there would most certainly be a no shoot in the area and I never can miss those, even when I try. :blush:

If you are having a problem finding the dot, when you take a sight picture get your body and head in position don't move it while you reholster. When you draw take the gun toward you eye and push to the target. The old move the sight to your eye, not your eye to the sight thing. There are a couple things more, like only move only your elbow and wrist when you draw your should should not have to roll or move at all. It sounds kinda dumb but dryfire with that in mikd and see if it makes a difference. :ph34r: later rdd

Practice practice practice.....stop looking at the dot but find the plate with both eyes and "peripherally" watch the dot appear appear on the plate and shoot. Many new "dot shooters" treat the dot like lining up an iron sight, this will only be as fast as iron sights unless you look at the target rather than the sights. Then remember Practice practice practice.....