Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Factory ammo for Pro 9?

matgyver

So, I was going to reload starting this year but it's not going to happen. I do have at least one match with a chrono stage, and I want to be legal even if there isn't one.

Has anyone on here shot a L2 or above with factory ammo? Is there a known load that's available now without a very high cost? Gun is a 5 inch pro 9.

I'm wanting to try DC ammo or Precision Delta reloads but wanted to check here first and see others' results.

I've shot a Level 2 IPSC (but not USPSA) with factory ammo. I didn't have a chrono at the time and didn't want to just roll the dice on my handloads being high enough.

I used the Aguila 124gr FMJ loads. They shot very accurately and never gave me a hint of trouble, but were a bit stout out of my 5" M&P 9L. Chrono stage put them at 151pf. If you can deal with the higher recoil then AIM Surplus has these for around $10 per box.

Realistically though, Precision Delta, Atlanta Arms, and other such companies are making ammo that's marketed to the competition shooter. At 5" you're not running a short barrel or anything. I'd say its a very safe bet to say anything they sell will make the required power factor out of any 4.25"+ barrel.

Edited by MGMorden

if go with the Tactical ammo, let me know what you think, Mr, Heller started the custom gamer loads for me and so far as i know i am the only one, i have been trying to get him to go into a production with them, but i think he's waiting to see if more orders come in and feed back.

Hornady "Steel Match" 9mm, loaded with the Hornady Action Pistol bullets, 124gr, makes minor PF but not as hot as full power loads. under $20/50rds.

http://www.hornady.com/store/9mm-Luger-125-GR-HAP-STEEL-MATCH

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/Hornady-Steel-Match-Pistol-9-mm-Luger-125-Gr-HAP-50-rds.aspx?a=862801&pm2d=CSE-SPG-3-GOOGLE&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse

David E.

I ordered some 9mm Atlanta Arms to try out in my M&P pro 9 5 inch. I will try to chrono to give you results.

I ordered 500 of :

9MM 147GR FMJ

This ammo is designed for production class match shooting, it averages 880 FPS out of our G17 test gun making a 130 power factor, when you use this for training and the new match ammo for matches the velocity is the same, or simply use this for your matches as well

Thanks,

Chris

The Atlanta Arms 9mm 147gr FMJ reloads (I9147) was the ammo I used in sanctioned matches before I started reloading. From a stock OEM barrel and a KKM drop-in match barrel on an M&P Pro 9, they averaged 130 to 133 PF and were very accurate - about a fist sized group at 35 yards, shot from a wrist supported seated on a bench position. I would not hesitate to ever use them in any sanctioned match in USPSA, IDPA, or Steel Challenge. If I remember correctly they were $12-13 per 50 round box and well worth the cost.