Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1st success reloading

Velvett

woo hoo yahoo.gif After much reading, calling friends, and asking questions at Nevada shooters and here. I completed my first 9mm reloads, and successfully tested them today at CCSR (Cark county public range). All 4 of the loads i tested all went well, gun cycled perfectly, no smoke, no pressure issues, and 2 were very accurate with softer than store bought ammo recoil. It was allot of fun shooting my own loads. I'm now going to make a bunch of the 2 loads i liked best and work them to settle on one for target use. I did have a question concerning recoil. it seemed to me that i felt less recoil on the heaviest load, and the lighter loads seem to feel a little more recoil. I could just have been my perception. here's the load which was in my perception lighter recoil, and ill give an example of what i perceived as more recoil.

9mm berry's 124 .356

4.7 WSF

mixed brass

federal primers

OAL 1.161

I liked this load

same bullet

4.5gr WSF

same primer

same OAL

this felt to recoil a bit more.

I think it was that i was a bit nervous while testing which is why i perceived different things. It was too fun shooting my own stuff!!!

thanks everyone for your help.

Edited by Velvett

woo hoo yahoo.gif I completed my first 9mm reloads, and 2 were accurate with softer than store bought ammo recoil. I felt less recoil on the heaviest load, b]thanks everyone for your help.[/b][/size]

Congratulations!!!

Sounds like you're on your way to a great hobby.

Great idea to do some accuracy testing next - also be

great idea to run them thru a chronograph. That might

help you pick a winner also.

Are you using your new reloads for USPSA or IDPA?

Jack

Saving money while enjoying a new hobby with the side benefit of cooking up loads of your preference. What's not to like? Congrats on putting it all together.

I too am shooing WSF with 124's in the 4.5gn range. Not much difference in recoil between 4.5gn and 4.7gn but between the two 4.5gn would recoil less. Sure you don't have your labels swapped? But either charge should be fine and I find WSF more pleasant to shoot than any of the other popular 9mm powders.

sry took so long to reply. I plan to shoot USPSA or IDPA but i feel i need to pratice up a bit. Im comfortable with long guns, but over this last year started with pistols. My local club here has events i attended a few and it looks to fun. but step at a time.

Yeah i'm sure about my label's, my mentor said that it was most likely due to me being a bit nervous at 1st, then when things went well relaxing a bit. so my perceived recoil was different.

thx again everyone for your help

sry took so long to reply. I plan to shoot USPSA or IDPA but i feel i need to pratice up a bit. Im comfortable with long guns, but over this last year started with pistols. My local club here has events i attended a few and it looks to fun. but step at a time.

Yeah i'm sure about my label's, my mentor said that it was most likely due to me being a bit nervous at 1st, then when things went well relaxing a bit. so my perceived recoil was different.

thx again everyone for your help

Ive been buying everything to start, picking up brass, reading, I still want to find someone who knows to walk me through it all...not brain surgery but I am intentionally exploding some in my hand that I made...

Congrats on a great start! It's definitely an addiction.

How did you like the WSF? I'm currently loading Berry's with 231 and considering changing to something else! Was it very dirty or did it make for an easy clean up afterwards?