Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reliability with SAAMI spec .40 S&W ammo

Kasteel

There is a ton of info on magazine issues in the FAQ post. Sorry if I missed the answer to this question.

My question involves using factory ammo loaded to SAAMI specs for .40 S&W as opposed to using ammo handloaded longer than spec, which a lot of competition shooters seem to do.

If a guy wants to have the option of using a box of ammo from Walmart for a match on short notice, would "tuned" mags from a reputable source work reliably, or are tuned mags designed to run long-loaded ammo most reliably?

Might it be best to invest in two sets of mags: one tuned for long-loaded ammo, and one tuned (perhaps with a spacer??) to run SAAMI spec ammo?

Especially in .40, you shouldn't have any problems with mags and factory vs handloaded ammo. I handload all my .40 and 9mm ammo but always have some factory stuff around for testing or just as backup, etc. I have never had a problem running both types of ammo in my tuned and untuned mags.

Spacers may come into play with 9mm and STI mags but not always the case.

I had a Para P16 that would run 100% with long loaded .40 but not factory! A lot of posts talking about long loaded ammo are because that is what will run 100% in their guns and that is why they load long. If your gun runs 100% w/factory or factory length ammo there is little, if any need to load long. Tuned mags should work 100% w/any ammo if your gun will work 100% w/any ammo. Also, mags are tuned so that you can get that extra round in. This may or may not happen and may or may not be important to you.

FWIW

Richard

Capacity is an issue.

As to long loading, a great limited shooter I work with long loads 180 grainers for his STI as he feels that the recoil tends to be "softer" but his gun still runs great with factory fodder.

Still looking for input on application for 10mm tubes in 40 S&W guns.

I think that mostly applies to Single-Stack pistols where some makers have indeed put spacers in the mag tubes to accommodate .40 length rounds. In these .40 Single-stacks, some people load long and use 10mm mags without the spacers. However, in double stack pistols I don't know of anyone that makes a spacer for .40, only 9mm. I think, at least as far as the 2011/Para platform, that both use the same double stack mag tubes for both .40 or 10mm. If there is a difference at all it might be in the length of the feedlips but I don't think so. Hope this answers some of your question.

Cheers623

DVC

Thanks. A buddy of mine runs a Tangfolio Witness Limited with 10mm tubes, and has had nothing but problems with factory ammo--but runs long-loaded fodder flawlessly.

He was thinking that STI .38 super, 9mm and 40 S&w mags all use 10mm mag bodies, with just the guts being caliber specific.

Can anyone confirm or deny?

Thanks. A buddy of mine runs a Tangfolio Witness Limited with 10mm tubes, and has had nothing but problems with factory ammo--but runs long-loaded fodder flawlessly.

He was thinking that STI .38 super, 9mm and 40 S&w mags all use 10mm mag bodies, with just the guts being caliber specific.

Can anyone confirm or deny?

The 38 and 9mm are the same tube, they add a spacer to the 9mm mags with the appropriate follower. The .40 tube is different, if you look at the "U" space at the back, its wider so not the exact same but I would bet they start out the same and then changes made during the final process. As for the 10mm tube theory, I dont know but thats got me curious enough to call STI.

I shoot an STI Edge and load my .40 pretty long for it.

The reason started loading long is that's what the guy I bought it from told me to do, and assured me it wouldn't run unless I loaded to "as long as you can fit in the mag" OAL. I've debunked almost all of the previous owner's "you must do this or the gun stops" claims. That gun is a trooper.

I've shot plenty of factory through it, even mixed my loads and factory loads in the same mag. The only issue I've had with feeding is chambering the first round. Sometimes a factory round will hang up on the feed ramp. Other than that, they run fine.

Despite the flawed reasoning for doing it in the first place, I'm too lazy to change the Dillon right now. One day, I might want to load .40 for another (non competition) gun, and bring it back to factory spec. Right now, it ain't broke, so I'm not fixing it.

Edited by Outbreak

It's funny, really. He got rid of the Edge to stick with Open. He's got three Open guns now. He's good to them. Takes care of them, cleans them between every match. He did all this with my Edge, too. And meticulous cleaning was on the list of "must do's."

Last match I shot with him at, I told him I hadn't cleaned the gun in over 2 months, and with the lube I use, it hadn't failed yet. He acted like I was abusing his child, even offered to take it home and clean it for me. :roflol:

It's funny, really. He got rid of the Edge to stick with Open. He's got three Open guns now. He's good to them. Takes care of them, cleans them between every match. He did all this with my Edge, too. And meticulous cleaning was on the list of "must do's."

Last match I shot with him at, I told him I hadn't cleaned the gun in over 2 months, and with the lube I use, it hadn't failed yet. He acted like I was abusing his child, even offered to take it home and clean it for me. :roflol:

I have several he can take home and clean :roflol:

STI tubes need the spacer.

SV 9/38 tubes do not have a spacer.

In general, the geometry of the wide body was formulated around the 45 ACP 1.2++ OAL round. The shorter 40 S&W initially caused some issues.

Loading long was originally used to increase reliability in feeding the round.

There have been a few improvements to increase this reliability including but not limited to; Lee FCD, feed ramp geometry, and mag release geometry (e.g. JP).

One of my limited SV gun was built for longer loaded ammo. It turns into an unpredictable jam-o-matic with factory length ammo.

My other one, runs fine with factory ammo.

Tripp 10mm tubes for single stack in many cases add an extra round and fit in the box. They are not made for Wide body guns.

STI tubes need the spacer.

Not in all circumstances. There were several discussions about this and multiple shooters claim they never use a spacer in an STI and do no load extremely long either and their mags are 100%. I run spacers in mine but others don't and have success.

Here are some threads about this:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=134699&st=0&p=1517782&hl=+spacer%20+sti&fromsearch=1entry1517782

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=130886&st=0&p=1475810&hl=+spacer%20+sti&fromsearch=1entry1475810

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=119752&st=0&p=1355252&hl=+spacer%20+sti&fromsearch=1entry1355252

Thanks for putting those threads in! I guess the take home lesson is read and research, then take your kit to the range and run it til you trust it.

And practice malfunction clearance drills for when Murphy inevitably shows up.