Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Versa Max for Open?

michael1778

Has anyone figured out what would work with the Remington Versa Max to make it competitive in Open division? I'm trying to lay out at least a two year plan (maybe longer) and I'm toying with the idea of trying Open someday. It would be nice to not have to get a totally different shotgun if I decide on the Versa Max for this year. If I had to get a different shotgun, I'd probably just get an Akdal and call it done. 2012 is my "investment year" gear, training, match time, etc.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Has anyone installed a Burris SpeedBead on these new Remingtons yet?

EDIT (2:40pm EST 2/17/2012): I received my Versa Max 26" today. The receiver is already drilled and tapped in four locations for optics. I doubt there would be much use for a SpeedBead mount given how the receiver is optics-ready.

Edited by michael1778

I contacted Burris a few weeks ago about a speed mount for the VM as I wanted to use one for turkey season. They aren't planning on making one they replied. :angry2: Maybe that will change if there is more demand. Remington advised the Weaver # 418 base will fit. That is a 2 piece base, so depending on the optic, you will need one or two.

I contacted Burris a few weeks ago about a speed mount for the VM as I wanted to use one for turkey season. They aren't planning on making one they replied. :angry2: Maybe that will change if there is more demand. Remington advised the Weaver # 418 base will fit. That is a 2 piece base, so depending on the optic, you will need one or two.

Thanks, Jim. Good information. I've been thinking more along the lines of the Leupold DeltaPoint over the weekend. I've got time, certainly.

Meanwhile, I hope your Versa Max serves you well!

-- Mike

i got a true and funny story for you.

i was looking at gas guns, really liked the SX3, but no one makes open parts for it. called x-rail they said no, i asked about there FN team shooter because i am thinking i should fit, they said they only do custom parts for there team shooters. triangle said no. i called Arredondo, was told to call back the next day to talk to there shotgun guy. i did, they did nothing for SX3 or have plans to, so i said "what about the Versa Max?" he asked if that was a new winchester shotgun, i said "no" it is a remington" he had no idea about it, he google it and said by the pin placement on the pictures it should work, but depends on how wide the reciever is.

true story.

was very surprised they did not stay on top of that kind of stuff.

i got a true and funny story for you.

i was looking at gas guns, really liked the SX3, but no one makes open parts for it. called x-rail they said no, i asked about there FN team shooter because i am thinking i should fit, they said they only do custom parts for there team shooters. triangle said no. i called Arredondo, was told to call back the next day to talk to there shotgun guy. i did, they did nothing for SX3 or have plans to, so i said "what about the Versa Max?" he asked if that was a new winchester shotgun, i said "no" it is a remington" he had no idea about it, he google it and said by the pin placement on the pictures it should work, but depends on how wide the reciever is.

true story.

was very surprised they did not stay on top of that kind of stuff.

Pin placement is a question that I have, also.

• 1 month later...

I'm growing for serious about this option. I'm thinking XRAIL and Arendondo speedloader assist bracket. The XRAIL almost seems like the easy part.

Has anyone seen a Versa Max working with a bracket?

Anyone know what model bracket was used as the starting point?

Thank you very much,

Mike

Edited by michael1778

I'm growing for serious about this option. I'm thinking XRAIL and Arendondo speedloader assist bracket. The XRAIL almost seems like the easy part.

Has anyone seen a Versa Max working with a bracket?

Anyone know what model bracket was used as the starting point?

Thank you very much,

Mike

First time to respond on a forum (so hope I did this right), and you seemed hung up here ..... I used an M2 Arendondo cept replaced the .173 pin for a larger .175; it loads smooth.

Thank you very much. That seems very helpful. And welcome to the forum! :cheers:

You might try Matt Burkett @ Predator Tactical. I think he has been shooting a Versa Max this year. It may be his limited gun and not open.

• 1 month later...

Well, I shot the Versa Max as an Open shotgun at Tarheel 3-gun this past Saturday. It was flawless. Nothing fancy, just a 13 round tube (total) and no tricks. But, my shotgun ran better than ANY of the box fed variety I saw in operation that day (only saw a few). I reloaded like a Tac Optics guy and did "Load Two" from my Carbon Arms FSL caddies. I didn't win any speed competitions, but it was a test run. I did the best on the shotgun portions of the stages. Next step is get a load assist gate and some TecLoaders, if I could only find them in stock!! :surprise:

Somewhere??? Anywhere???

My magwell came loose that's why mine didn't feed. That's my fault not the gun's. I liked the open set up Remington had at the challenge, throw a speed loader or x-rail and you'll be set. If you go with the x-rail start lifting weights cause it going to be heavy. :roflol:

My magwell came loose that's why mine didn't feed. That's my fault not the gun's. I liked the open set up Remington had at the challenge, throw a speed loader or x-rail and you'll be set. If you go with the x-rail start lifting weights cause it going to be heavy. :roflol:

Wasn't only yours. Saw a couple others that had failures. I'm sure Clint's was fine since he won the match. Those things run like crazy when it's right; just scares me how quickly it goes the other direction in some circumstances.

You aren't lying about the weight work required with an Xrail!!! Holy smokes, man! A tube with 14 hanging out there was enough for me, for now.

You were smoking it at the Remington side shoot.

Did you see that guy in Squad 6 that had his Saiga become a pump gun once he switched to slugs? Frightening.

Sorry I couldn't make it back with you guys for day #2. My cardiologist had changed up my meds last week and it wiped me out after a long day. Not to mention that I didn't drink enough (my fault). Just not used to the "new me" since my heart attack in March. Getting back to 100%, just not quite yet.

:cheers:

-- Mike

• 1 year later...

michael1778, fastshooter03 and Gunjack, can I get more information on how to mount the Arredondo Speedloader Assist on the Versa Max? Benny Hill is building me a Versa Max right now--I just got off the phone with him and he needs more information than I can give him on how to make this work. He seems like a great guy and a wealth of knowledge BTW. If either of you (or anyone out there) have any photos of a Open Versa Max with the Arredondo chute installed I would be very appreciative if you would post pictures.

Thanks

Scott

michael1778, fastshooter03 and Gunjack, can I get more information on how to mount the Arredondo Speedloader Assist on the Versa Max? Benny Hill is building me a Versa Max right now--I just got off the phone with him and he needs more information than I can give him on how to make this work. He seems like a great guy and a wealth of knowledge BTW. If either of you (or anyone out there) have any photos of a Open Versa Max with the Arredondo chute installed I would be very appreciative if you would post pictures.

Thanks

Scott

From an old thread, but a couple pic's and post #10 has some info on fitting.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=154698

I solved the Open VM problem- I bought kampr's! I shot the X-rail in a side match and it felt like a .22 but it was a tad heavy! Put a Nordic big tube on it for 15 rounds with the ghost load and rarely need more than one stick for 3gun around here. It's ran flawlessly for me all year. Thanks kampr!

That's one way to do it. :)

I'm moving to an Akdal myself. It needs to have more US parts installed for compliance before the December match. Not sure if I will keep the VM 26" and sell the XRAIL or try to sell the entire thing as a functional package. As much as I like shotgun sports, I don't get opportunities to play them, so there may not be reason to keep the shotgun even though I like it.

Edited by michael1778