Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

change calibers or get another press?

hey all,

I've been loading large primer 45 for my SS gun for over a year now. I shoot SS for steel challenge, USPSA, IDPA, etc. I have been using a Hornady LnL and I'm pretty happy with it, now that it's running right.

I will be running an M&P pro in 3 gun this season, and I'm debating loading for it. I want to shoot soft 9mm in 3 gun, steel, and general matches to save some money and not reload every 8 damn shots.

What I'm wondering, is do I buy a LnL conversion set or a new Lee press just set up in 9mm? Please don't say "switch to whatever other brand" I don't want to really mess it up. I was looking, and it seems I could get a conversion set of bushings, dies, shell plates, etc for the LNL for maybe $150, but could get a lee press that a few buddies already load on for $180. I am a bit tight on space, and just want the best for what I will be doing this year.

Honestly, Next year I plan on switching to Limited major, and will run that one gun in every event. Should I just shut up and buy light 9mm for the year, or is it worth it if I know I won't really be loading much 9mm after this year, anyway?

Thanks for the help,

Steve

Get the Hornady conversion.

You already own it, know how to run it and hopefully are comfortable using it.

It's a quality press, caliber changes are a snap.

One thing I might suggest is to get another powder metering insert for 9mm if you intend to use a different charge weight/powder than you do in the .45. Hornady lists them for $12 for the standard one.

eta:

As far as setting up to load 9mm if you won't be shooting much of it after this year, I see no reason not to. If you do go ahead and buy the conversion, you'll always have it should the urge strike.

Edited by a.roberts

Given the prices quoted it's tough to determine what equipment you're considering. If you're talking about a Lee turret press I'd say it makes little sense to purchase a turret press for a caliber you'll be reloading in any volume when you already have a progressive press.

If you're talking about a Lee Loadmaster... I've never loaded on one, but those who have loaded on both the Loadmaster as well as other presses generally rate the Loadmaster considerably below the LnL AP or anything from Dillon in terms of quality and running smoothly.

Ignoring that for a moment, if you purchase a caliber change for the LnL then everything you've learned about how to operate the LnL carries over to the new caliber. If you decide later on to upgrade your LnL with a case feeder and/or bullet feeder, any calibers you have (handgun only for the bullet feeder) will be able to take advantage of those parts for only a little additional money.

If you purchase a new press you're starting over in terms of learning the quirks, tips and tricks, etc. of a complex piece of equipment, and you would be doing that with what is generally considered the quirkiest, most troublesome progressive press.

Via Midway's website I show a Hornady die set for 9mm (with taper crimp on the seater die) for $43, a shellplate for $31 and 3 LnL bushings (sizer, expander and seat/crimp) for $14. Unless I'm missing something that should be all you need to switch calibers on the LnL. The price on the LoadMaster is $220. It looks to me like the difference between the two options is around $130, not $30.

the other is the lower-end Lee progressive press. I forget the name of it, but a few buddies load on it and it seems to make sense.

I would want to probably do a whole powder drop, too, since I don't feel like re-adjusting that every time I switch loads. Or is that not really worth it to do? I would be fine loading a few K rounds of one caliber before switching, and have a perfect 45 recipe. Once I find a 9mm that runs, I will just use that.

I'm also thinking about using clays for 9mm, since I hear it's really soft and I already get it by the 8 pound Jug.

I'm also realizing I'm broke, and thinking about shooting lead in both 230 gn 45 and 160 gn 9mm, but I think the "is that a good idea" question is for another thread.

I could get a conversion set of bushings, dies, shell plates, etc for the LNL for maybe $150, but could get a lee press that a few buddies already load on for $180. I am a bit tight on space, and just want the best for what I will be doing this year.

Thanks for the help,

Steve

How in the world are you getting $180 for a caliber conversion? Is that with some fancy dies? Hornady has a nice Micrometer so you don't need a new measure. Or just buy another metering insert. Super easy to just pop one out and put the other in. It's one thing I like about the Hornady.

Edited by 98sr20ve

I have to agree with Beyond it All. Your LNL press came from the factory with a small AND large primer assemblies. And, small and large powder measure rotors (small for pistol, large for rifle) All you need to swap out 45acp to 9mm is;

1) Set of dies, $42.99

2) Taper crimp die (This is optional)

3) Shell plate $32.99

4) 4 LNL bushings @ $5.00 each

I use my LnL ap for 45, 40, 38, and 9mm. I keep thinking about buying another powder measure, I just keep using only one. Seem to spend all my excess funds on bullets. I try and load 2,000+ rounds at a time of 45, then just setup for small primer and load one caliber at a time. I don't find setting up between calibers time consuming, with the quick change out of the dies, the only thing to configure is powder.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/631849/hornady-lock-n-load-powder-measure-handgun-metering-assembly

Get one of those for every load. It just pops right out. EASY. THen you never have to readjust anything.

OR

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/615914/hornady-lock-n-load-powder-measure-micrometer-for-handgun-rotor-and-metering-assembly

For the price of three of the other. Get the adjustable one with Micrometer. Take notes and use your notes to go back to the same spot.

I sure don't know, I only load 9, 38SC, 38Spl, 44 mag, 30 carbine, 40, 45, and 223 on my LNL, I buy the 10 pack of bushings. Of course get the Bushings, and the Hornady Dies are the best. I also have a Dillon XL650 but only load 9, 38SC, and 40 on it, way more trouble to convert and make run.

While you are at it get another plunger for the powder measure and paint one blue or red, then when you swap calibers just pop the right powder plunger in and start yanking the ram. I have a plunger for each caliber, no time wasted resetting the charge weight.

If you get the Lee make sure you got a good Pharmacy Plan you will be buying a lot of Zoloft, Zanax, or Paxil to keep you nerves calm.

I don't have a LnL, but I will say DO NOT get a Lee Loadmaster. It is probably the worst progressive still on the market. I loaded a lot of rounds on a Lee Pro-1000, and they are pretty good for small primers only. I got mine for $99, but that was like 20 years ago.

But, if you really don't plan to shoot more than 1000 rounds or so of 9mm, then just shopping for a good price on a case is what I would do if I was you. Otherwise, sounds like the LnL guys have you in at less than $100.

I have the LNL and actually did the reverse of what you're planning. I started loading 9mm and bought the conversion parts for 45 ACP. I would definitely do it again before I would buy another press. Like others I bought the new dies, LNL bushings (4 in this case) , powder measure metering insert and I went one further and bought the quick change powder die (about $25 from Midway). Saves me the time of having to reset for the case length difference between 9 and 45. Powder measure change is just as fast as any other die now.

The case feeder can be a pain but after a few times you'll know what has to be changed and it goes decently fast. Now if I could add a bullet feeder...

thanks for all the advice guys! Yesterday I was in Cabelas and picked up a new shell plate, RCBS carbide dies and bushings. I spend the next little while setting everything up and dialing the flair, crimp, seating, etc.

Went to go load and found out I have no small primer pick up tube... Can I modify the large primer tube or do I have to order one and wait a few stupid days for it to show up?

Caliber changes are what the LnL was MADE for! Of course, switching between large and small primers take a little more time so as long as you're going to batch load in large numbers, its no biggie.

Definitely get the micrometer insert and you wont have to get a separate powder measure. Super easy to go back and forth bwtween settings. Dont bother with the simple threaded inserts.

Depends on how much you shoot, can you afford another press, do you have the space, and what your time is worth.

A long time ago, I asked myself a question: Would you rather be practicing, or fiddling with the press after changing calibers?

I now have a long bench full of presses.

LT