Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What does this mean in a match announcement?

Nimitz

So I'm a somewhat new member of USPSA and with the FL Open about to be shot nearby I started wandering around the USPSA website for other matches and noticed in match announcements things like "this is a level II or level III match. What is this trying to tell me? Does it have something to do with how difficult the match will be in terms of stage design? thx

USPSA Match Levels

Level I — Club matches conducted on a scheduled basis throughout the year.

Level II — Sectional or State matches conducted on an annual basis.

Level III — Annual championship matches conducted by USPSA Areas (1 - 8).

Nationals — Annual USPSA championship matches.

Lots of other stuff dictating minimums of each level in Appendix A1 of the rulebook.

Some stages at Level 1 (local) matches are harder than higher levels.

it is also nice when you go to a Level II or Level III match, if you are already classified. If you go as UNclassified, you would be competing strictly against the likes of Dave Sevigney, Rob Leatham, Travis Tomasie, Ben Stoeger, I think, strictly for the division championship. :surprise:

also, the gun manufacturer STI has a contigency program that applies only to Level II and Level III USPSA matches....err... I mean basically just Area matches (Area 5, Area 3, Area 1 matches, etc) and the Nat's.

ok, that brings up another question, if you are only competing against people in your same classification at these matches how is the Division winner determined? Are there multiple winners per division based on classification?

ok, that brings up another question, if you are only competing against people in your same classification at these matches how is the Division winner determined? Are there multiple winners per division based on classification?

There's a division champion with the highest overall score. Then there's 1st Master, 1st A, 1st B, etc. GMs and unclassified shooters can only win division champ.

You are only competing for recognition/awards against people in your class in your Division if your class is recognized. See Appendix A2 in the rule book for USPSA's recommendations for determining recognition.

Assuming a class within a Division is recognized, MD's have some latitude on how they distribute awards. Some matches will always hand out 1st, 2nd, 3rd for a given class. Other matches will follow a 5/7/12/... distribution. (ie. If there are only 5 shooters in the class, then only 1st in class is given out. If there are 7 shooters, then onlf 1st and 2nd are given out, etc.)

As for determining the winner in Division, the details are all in rules 9.2.5 and 9.2.6 in the rule book. Note that 9.2.5 needs the stage points computed as defined by 9.2.2-9.2.4. Once you get match results from 9.2.6, typically, the top 3 shooters are given 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place for the division (depending on how the MD decides on recognition). Then running down the ranked list of shooters, pick out the top shooters for each class (depending on how the MD decides on recognition).

There's a division champion with the highest overall score. Then there's 1st Master, 1st A, 1st B, etc. GMs and unclassified shooters can only win division champ.

I must be missing something. Rule 6.4.2 says that unclassified shooters not being eligible for class awards within a division. So that only leaves them eligible for division awards. What rule says GMs are not being eligible for class awards?