Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ejection Problem

rvb

I have tried two new extractors and all new parts on the gun. Tried the HERD extra power extractor setup as well. No difference. Well before the gun wouldn't run for more then 100 rds. Now it's reliable again. But I have to wear a hat to keep them off my face.

Three matches, multiple practices, new parts with and with out the HRED extra power extractor setup. Zero failures.

I replaced every wearable part on the frame and slide with new Glock Parts. Then tried the HRED and stock Glock spring for the extractor. Both ran fine but the HRED needed 300rds to smooth out. Before that it was worse. I also have a 14 lb wolf setup for the recoil spring. I was running a 15lb before but the 14lb is better and the 12 lb made it worse. I don't get brass in my face anymore. Seems to eject about 2-3 ft.

My old parts were clearly worn a little.

98sr20ve,

I'm a little confused. You stated you tried all new parts and the HRED, but no change. Then you stated all new parts plus the HRED solved the problem once broken in. Can you please clarify what you did to fix the problem? And how old were the worn parts you replaced? Seems I see failures starting at around 1000 rounds, give or take a couple hundred.

-rvb

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update on my 35. I put in the LWD extractor (I already had the HRED spring and plunger) and I have not had an issue with extraction and ejection since with either the stock Glock barrel and recoil spring or my KKM barrel, SS guiderod and 13lb ISMI spring. I have also not been hit in the face with brass as often, even while moving, over the course of 2 range sessions and 2 matches.

Thanks for the input, I have a LWD 9mm extractor and will give it a try soon.

-rvb

If doing the LW extractor think about ordering the LW bearing, plunger, and spring as well. I ordered all of this and noticed the LW spring was longer and after installing the extractor tension was much higher. My Glock is now ejecting fantastic. Had some new shooters shooting it the other day with poor technique (tea cupping it) strong hand way low on the grip, they where getting a lot of muzzle flip and it still was ejecting very well and consistent with mixed brass reloads. This gun use to put 5 out of 10 on the forearm, shoulder, and my head.

Thanks! I don't yet have the LW bearing, plunger, and spring but will give them a try!

-rvb

So how many guns of yours have had this issue, 2 G-34's? 3rd Gens?

Two Gen 3 G34s.

I shot a gen 3 G19 in a section match recently. It had approx 1k rounds and during the match had a similar ejection failure for the first time. These all start around 1k rounds. I'm leaning towards poor extractor design and possibly springs loosing tension.

Anxiously awaiting Apex's new system.

I went ahead and put a Gen4 ejector in my 34 to start testing. It's going to be one one part at a time until I find a working solution. I put maybe 50 rounds through it so far, and so far it ejected (even with some 115gr reloads it previously really hated). But that's not enough to be confident.

How hard is it to make a set of new 9mm glocks run reliably? Aparently very. Not impressed with the brand so far at all.

-rvb

Edited by rvb

I have tried two new extractors and all new parts on the gun. Tried the HERD extra power extractor setup as well. No difference. Well before the gun wouldn't run for more then 100 rds. Now it's reliable again. But I have to wear a hat to keep them off my face.

Three matches, multiple practices, new parts with and with out the HRED extra power extractor setup. Zero failures.

I replaced every wearable part on the frame and slide with new Glock Parts. Then tried the HRED and stock Glock spring for the extractor. Both ran fine but the HRED needed 300rds to smooth out. Before that it was worse. I also have a 14 lb wolf setup for the recoil spring. I was running a 15lb before but the 14lb is better and the 12 lb made it worse. I don't get brass in my face anymore. Seems to eject about 2-3 ft.

My old parts were clearly worn a little.

98sr20ve,

I'm a little confused. You stated you tried all new parts and the HRED, but no change. Then you stated all new parts plus the HRED solved the problem once broken in. Can you please clarify what you did to fix the problem? And how old were the worn parts you replaced? Seems I see failures starting at around 1000 rounds, give or take a couple hundred.

-rvb

My parts had at least 80K rounds on them.

No change between the HRED and the stock spring setup. HRED was worse/problematic for 100 rds or so. Then it was about the same as the new parts stock setup. I left the HRED in just to see how it does long term.

My guns issue was clearly the ejector not the extractor. You could measure the difference in length between the two.

Edited by 98sr20ve

I went ahead and put a Gen4 ejector in my 34 to start testing. It's going to be one one part at a time until I find a working solution. I put maybe 50 rounds through it so far, and so far it ejected (even with some 115gr reloads it previously really hated). But that's not enough to be confident.

Any more testing with the Gen 4 ejector?

Any more testing with the Gen 4 ejector?

I shot a local 5-stage match (~125 rounds) this weekend and made it through the match with no malfunctions. I forgot the video camera so I don't really know how consistent the ejection was, but I do know I was never distracted by the brass (eg hitting me in the face or ejecting vertically into my line of sight).

I'm hoping to get to the range this week for some more testing. I have a White sound extractor spring and a lone wolf extractor to also test out if necessary.

-rvb

Approx 425 rounds with the gen 4 ejector and no ejection failures. Tonight I tested some additional parts. I fired a few rounds with just the gen 4 ejector and noted roughly where the enter of the pile of brass was (and it was piled pretty well). I then put in a White Sound Defense extra power extractor spring. I noted a very slight improvement in that the brass was still grouped but maybe landed just a little farther away. Next I put in a Lone Wolf extractor. This caused the ejection to be awful... It was back to having brass bouncing off my forearm.

So my new baseline setup in my gen 3 G34 is a gen 4 30274 ejector with a WSD extra strength extractor spring, stock extractor, and 15lb ISMI recoil spring. I still plan to test the Apex extractor setup when it becomes available

I then switched to some old stock 115 gr practice ammo, which had previously never worked well. Today it gave me no problem (except 1 round that didn't want to feed, I still have to figure that one out).

I tried everything I could think of to make it jam... Riding the slide, super limp grip, SHO, WHO, etc. I even tested w.o the mag and that ejected properly 8/10 times (once it fell through the mag well and one it stovepiped).

I think I would be willing to shoot this in a major again.

-rvb

Edited by rvb

• 3 weeks later...

If you have the chance, you could try an OEM non-LCI extractor. I found one from my old parts stash & put it in my recently built Open 17. I found the extractor claw between the old versions are different from the current production LCI type. The claw on the old ones run parallel to the breechface. The new one tapers upward leaving less hold on the case. In theory, when the barrel unlocks, and tilts downward, the LCI type is only holding on the upper part of the claw, the old one has more surface area to hold on to the case. My old G17's never had a problem with ejection & extraction. My Open gun had some issues so I put this one in & now it works consistently. I also switched it to the Non-LCI bearing.

post-25308-0-41916700-1347587615_thumb.j

post-25308-0-12241800-1347587631_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

If you have the chance, you could try an OEM non-LCI extractor. I found one from my old parts stash & put it in my recently built Open 17. I found the extractor claw between the old versions are different from the current production LCI type. The claw on the old ones run parallel to the breechface. The new one tapers upward leaving less hold on the case. In theory, when the barrel unlocks, and tilts downward, the LCI type is only holding on the upper part of the claw, the old one has more surface area to hold on to the case. My old G17's never had a problem with ejection & extraction. My Open gun had some issues so I put this one in & now it works consistently. I also switched it to the Non-LCI bearing.

I'll give that a try. Thanks for the tip on the old style extractor. I think that may be what apex has done on their new one is to fix the angle of the hook. I've also read glock has come out with an even newer extractor that works better that I want to try.

Almost 1k rounds w/o a failure since putting in the Gen4 ejector...

-rvb

I'll give that a try. Thanks for the tip on the old style extractor. I think that may be what apex has done on their new one is to fix the angle of the hook. I've also read glock has come out with an even newer extractor that works better that I want to try.

I put the 336 ejector in mine too. Only been 200 rounds since but no failures in that time.

Glad to help. I'm curious about the new OEM extractor you mentioned. Where did you hear about it?

I thought "we'll, ill never figure out where on the www I saw that tidbit". But it was right here on enos!

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=155544&view=findpost&p=1749887

Also, I believe I saw an email from glockparts.com about it.

-rvb

I put the 336 ejector in mine too. Only been 200 rounds since but no failures in that time.

I removed the 336 and put in a 90274.

-rvb

If the updated extractor has an extractor claw profile similar to the old style, I'll pick up one of those for a spare part. Thanks for the heads up.

At my last range outing with the old style extractor, I shot a couple of mag fulls of 9mm major to test out the extractor. A nice little group of brass in a two foot circle six feet away with the exception of the second to last round usually going a little higher than the rest. Ejection was very consistent, weak hand, strong hand, limp wristed all cleared the gun. The combo I've settled on is to use the old style extractor & bearing with the 30274 ejector.

I also tried the no mag inserted & fire single round test if you can call it that, even my old Gen 2 models just have the case fall down through the grip body so I think that test is subjective at best, I don't think Glock intended to have a self loading pistol to be fired in that fashion. This leads me to conclude that the next round in the magazine or the follower on the last round acts as the extractor/ejector base ramp & is part of the expended case clearing process.