Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cutting coils off 11# spring

TacticalReload

I previously was running a 13# IMSI spring in a G35 with mild loads. If I recall correctly, I think I had two coils snipped. After the round count got up there, I replaced the spring and tried an 11# spring and functioning seems fine with 135 PF ammo (but I hardly notice a difference in spring weight by feel).

Is there anyone who is actually using a sub-11# spring (cut coils) or is 11# as low as you should go? Figure using 125-130 PF ammo. I know I can experiment, but I'd hate to booger up a brand new spring by cutting coils for no reason.

Also, I usually shoot major in my G24 so it's not an issue. However, I do take it with me occasionally as a back up gun to the G35 if I'm shooting minor ammo. How would you adjust spring weight for the long slide vs the G35 shooting that same minor ammo... would you go lower or higher or keep it the same? Once again, I know I can experiment, but I'm looking at a place to start with it.

thanks in advance.

i have an 11# spring in my 34 the i experimented with a bunch of different springs and the 11# seems the best for me on recoil although i dont see a reason to cut off coils of a 13 pound spring when you could put a 11# spring in i never cut any coils off any springs and i have not tried my 10# spring

I have a spring that is 9# on my home made spring tester (which seems to rate springs fairly consistently). I had some subminor 9mm that felt like my AA .22 conversion when run through the G34/17.

I had failures to go into battery and reload induced coming out of battery though, so I went back to 11# and 13#.

I would caution against clipping coils on an 11# spring. 11# seems to be the threshold with a factory striker spring, pulling the trigger can pull the slide out of battery. I won't go below 13# with a factory striker nor 11# with a reduced power striker spring. In any event, perform a slide up function check before firing live rounds.

I would caution against clipping coils on an 11# spring. 11# seems to be the threshold with a factory striker spring, pulling the trigger can pull the slide out of battery. I won't go below 13# with a factory striker nor 11# with a reduced power striker spring. In any event, perform a slide up function check before firing live rounds.

I ditched that factory striker spring a long time ago. ;)

What is a slide up function check? Trying to help a friend get a open Glock running with minor loads and he has clipped several coils off his 11 lb spring. Now after your post I wonder if it is safe.

I think he's referring to checking to see if pulling the trigger pulls the slide slightly out of battery (which is what happens when the striker spring is too heavy in relation to a weaker recoil spring).

Yes, with the muzzle verticle.