Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MI SS GEN 2 15 inch handguards

Cavalry99

I am thinking about using the new Midwest Industries SS GEN 2 15 handguard for my 3G upper build, with an 18 inch, rifle length gas system. Pros or cons?

I would post a link to them, but am to new to the board.

And while on the subject, why are 15 inch handguards so popular? To me it would just be extra weight, but I am fairly new to 3G. In my local "fun" matches I just run my BCM 16 inch mid length with DD Omega 9 inch rail.

I have that set up. I have a DPMS 18" barrel and a POF muzzlebrake. The handguard is pretty lite. When I installed it, I broke out one of the holes on the barrel nut that the gas tube goes through with the barrel wrench. It was still functional, but I called MI and they sent out a new one, no charge. The only other problem that I had was that there is a screw that helps to orient the handguard to be vertical and also keeps it from twisting, that is at the 6:00 position under the barrel. I stripped mine out, because the threads are only as wide as the handguard is thick, so I stripped it on the second time I took the handguard off. Not a huge problem. The good thing is that it comes with two accessory rails that can be positioned anywhere there are holes in the handguard. Why did I decide to use a long handguard? I just wanted a different look, and I did not want to be able to grab the gas block during the heat of transitioning from target to target.

Here is a pic:

post-5599-0-90766400-1328296192_thumb.jp

Edited by Zebraman

I looked at one of these at SHOT. Pretty cool. Another take on the clamp-on exisiting barrel nut variety. Looks like the barrel nut will need to be clocked precisly for recieiver and handgard rail to be in-line.

Samson 15" Evo is still the best I have seen. Especially for the price and ease of installation.

Edited by Lead-Head

Other reasons, aside from less chance of contacting the barrel with your hand are more grip options and positions with a longer handguard, my biggest reason is less chance of resting the barrel on a prop and thus changing POI. Less chance of operator error :cheers: Midwest or Samson, can't go wrong either way.

I saw these at the SHOT show and I was intrigued. The only hesitation that I have is that the tube is less than 3/8" of an inch from the barrel for most of it. It seems like it could get uncomfortably hot during an extended firing session. Some stages that I have fired during the summer here in Texas have been warm enough with my Troy Battlerail.