Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Major in m&p 40

clawson2011

you can make major in 40 with almost any bullet weight, and with almost any powder.

what bullet weight you choose will affect what powders you can use, and what will work best. Also, your own personal comfort level will affect powder choice.

180 and 200 grain bullets seem the most popular, with some folks also shooting 165 grain.

stacks of threads in this forum about 40 major. If it makes major in any other gun, it should make major in your m&p (or come darned close).

My worry is most look like they are loading long

True, many folks around here shoot STI's or other guns not originally based on 9mm, so they either have to load longer to feed well, or they choose to load longer because they're using some off-the-reservation load. I have an m&p and a cz75. A faster powder like n320 (which I use for minor9mm and have been using for 40 minor as well) can get to major, but not much more. It's not recommended by VV for 180gr bullets, I've just been testing this week, and chrono'd this load out of my cz. I would think it would be close in the m&p. 5.2grains is the max load in the VV manual at 1.126 oal. I'm loading around 1.13, and there's more room in my m&p magazine, so I wouldn't stress about going up to 5.2 or even 5.3 after some testing and examination for pressure signs. I'm pretty happy with the way the load below shoots. Very manageable on follow-up shots.

n320 is about the fastest powder that will make major without exceeding mfr's recommended loads. If that makes you nervous, I'd look at n340, wsf, or one of the numerous other slightly slower powders that will easily make major in a saami-length or less and leave you plenty of room for error.

Feb 2012 .40

5.1 gr n320 (.61 autodisk, slightly enlarged)

165 gr zero jhp

1.130 oal

wsp

2/9/12 chrono avg 1015, sd 8, pf 167

no unusual primer flattening (less than with factory self-defense loads, for example)

FWIW, I have to load a little long for my M&P 40L to cycle reliably with my reloads. Found that 1.160-1.165 works best, which gives me a bit more case volume over the SAAMI OAL, and a bit of a safety margin to load to major with N320.

Thanks for posting that. It's Good to know you can go that long. what kind of bullets gave you problems at shorter OAL?

my m&p40 (full sized and compact) have never had a feeding problem of any kind with factory ammo or my reloads of berrys, zero and mg 165 grain TC bullets. I've always loaded to 1.125 or slightly above.

I've been shooting an M&P 40 Pro 5" for about a year in Limited. The softest AND most accurate load I've found is a 180gr Bayou Bullet with 4.6grs of Solo 1000.

I load to 1.135 and have had no problems at all, and the gun stays very clean. I have found that Solo can vary a little lot to lot, so start low and work up. This load consistantly makes 168-169 PF. I shot Standard at the IPSC National Match (requires 170 PF for major) and bumped it up to 4.7grs Solo just to be safe. I ended up cutting it a little close, and chrono'd at 171.5. With a standard length M&P, your load may require an extra .1 gr. Again, especially with Solo, start low and work up.

Thanks for all the Info gonna give 180's with n340 behind it

If you have access to a chrono, I'd love to see your data when you shoot a few. should be a nice sensible safe load.

No problem just have to figure out which chrono to buy. Give me a week or two and I'll let you know

FWIW, I have to load a little long for my M&P 40L to cycle reliably with my reloads. Found that 1.160-1.165 works best, which gives me a bit more case volume over the SAAMI OAL, and a bit of a safety margin to load to major with N320.

Thanks for posting that. It's Good to know you can go that long. what kind of bullets gave you problems at shorter OAL?

my m&p40 (full sized and compact) have never had a feeding problem of any kind with factory ammo or my reloads of berrys, zero and mg 165 grain TC bullets. I've always loaded to 1.125 or slightly above.

Berry's 180 plated. Gave my M&P fits (feeding jams) at the SAAMI OAL. Started way out at 1.180 and fed fine. Started shortening the OAL by 0.005" increments. At 1.140 feed issues came back. Chose the happy medium of 1.160 and not an issue with the Berry's since.

I have stopped buying the Berry's and have ordered MG 180s.

I've been shooting an M&P 40 Pro 5" for about a year in Limited. The softest AND most accurate load I've found is a 180gr Bayou Bullet with 4.6grs of Solo 1000.

I load to 1.135 and have had no problems at all, and the gun stays very clean. I have found that Solo can vary a little lot to lot, so start low and work up. This load consistantly makes 168-169 PF. I shot Standard at the IPSC National Match (requires 170 PF for major) and bumped it up to 4.7grs Solo just to be safe. I ended up cutting it a little close, and chrono'd at 171.5. With a standard length M&P, your load may require an extra .1 gr. Again, especially with Solo, start low and work up.

Solo 1000 has become my go to backup powder when I can't get my hands on N-320. I really like the Solo!

If you have access to a chrono, I'd love to see your data when you shoot a few. should be a nice sensible safe load.

No problem just have to figure out which chrono to buy. Give me a week or two and I'll let you know

i just got a pro-chrono digital from shooters connection. seemed like the best bang for the buck, and the 3 times i've used it the readings have been consistent and made sense. (start every session with a handful of .22's from my bersa to make sure things are reading what i expect. figure I should get 100 chrono sessions from one lot of bulk-pack 22). It's on sale at midway usa too.

• 2 months later...

What other powders have you tried, aside from the Solo?

Did you try N320, N340, and/or 3n37?

I would second a number of things that others have mentioned. Solo has become a fairly popular powder for major .40 with heavier bullets. I personally use the Precision 185's, but as Dustin mentioned, the Bayou's and others would probably work just as well. Definitely load a little longer than "spec", out around 1.15-1.16 seems to be the happy place. I've been doing it for a year now and haven't had any pressure issues at all.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey clawson,

Have you had a chance to chrono those loads? Would you be okay sharing your results?

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...