Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Asheville, NC or Knoxville, TN

My wife and I may be draggin' up. 14 years in Wisconsin and it may be time for a change. I have two business opportunities, one in Asheville, NC and the other in Knoxville, TN. We have been to both places and like them very much. If I pull this off, it will be a dream come true. But, now to shooting...any locals available to give me an idea of which are offers more shooting opportunities?

We especially like USPSA, steel target, IDPA, trap and skeet. But I particularly like USPSA stuff.

Any feedback as to which area might offer us the most shooting-wise will be greatly appreciated.

Marc

Kenosha, WI

I gotta recommend Knoxville. The range in near-by Oak Ridge is great (ORSA-Oak Ridge Sportsman Association- checkout orsaonline.org ), I will go as far to say the best range for the money in the Eastern US. We shoot IDPA on the 1st Saturday of every month, Cowboys on the 2nd Saturday, USPSA on the 3rd Sat, 3-gun on the Sunday following the USPSA match, and Steel Challenge on the 4th Saturday. We also starting doing "Action Shotgun Matches," and hopefully going to shoot those 4-6 times a year.

In addition to the action pistol bays (8), we also have a 1,000 yard high power range (and league), sheet and trap, and a benchrest range. Cost - $120/year for a family

There are also several other shooting facilities within a 1-2 hour drive that have matchs (see TAC2.com?, kettlefoot, and cleveland rod and gun club)

The ORSA Action Pistol group is pretty active, with several large matches per year.

The cost of living is cheaper than in Ashville, plus Tennessee is the "Patron State of Shooting Stuff."

And if you are a golfer, the golf in the Knoxville area is also very good and affordable.

Feel free to PM me if you want some more info or if you are going to be in the area - I would be pleased to show you the range and make sure you make it to a match.

I gotta recommend Knoxville. The range in near-by Oak Ridge is great (ORSA-Oak Ridge Sportsman Association- checkout orsaonline.org ), I will go as far to say the best range for the money in the Eastern US. We shoot IDPA on the 1st Saturday of every month, Cowboys on the 2nd Saturday, USPSA on the 3rd Sat, 3-gun on the Sunday following the USPSA match, and Steel Challenge on the 4th Saturday. We also starting doing "Action Shotgun Matches," and hopefully going to shoot those 4-6 times a year.

In addition to the action pistol bays (8), we also have a 1,000 yard high power range (and league), sheet and trap, and a benchrest range. Cost - $120/year for a family

There are also several other shooting facilities within a 1-2 hour drive that have matchs (see TAC2.com?, kettlefoot, and cleveland rod and gun club)

The ORSA Action Pistol group is pretty active, with several large matches per year.

The cost of living is cheaper than in Ashville, plus Tennessee is the "Patron State of Shooting Stuff."

And if you are a golfer, the golf in the Knoxville area is also very good and affordable.

Feel free to PM me if you want some more info or if you are going to be in the area - I would be pleased to show you the range and make sure you make it to a match.

Thanks. We will be in Knoxville on Friday the 2nd of March. Will be looking hard at the city and the opportunity. Then we head to Asheville. Will keep you posted.

Think about coming out to the range on Saturday, 3 March if at all possible. We will be shooting IDPA that Saturday. Should be a large turnout, 90+ shooters is my guess if the weather is good. It will be an anniversary celebration (7th year of IDPA ) with a free lunch (and it will be good). If that is not possible, I would be happy to show you the range on Friday, just PM me.

My wife and I may be draggin' up. 14 years in Wisconsin and it may be time for a change. I have two business opportunities, one in Asheville, NC and the other in Knoxville, TN. We have been to both places and like them very much. If I pull this off, it will be a dream come true. But, now to shooting...any locals available to give me an idea of which are offers more shooting opportunities?

We especially like USPSA, steel target, IDPA, trap and skeet. But I particularly like USPSA stuff.

Any feedback as to which area might offer us the most shooting-wise will be greatly appreciated.

Marc

Kenosha, WI

Marc,

There are several in Asheville that go to Spartanburg, SC for matches.. and Charlotte/Rock Hill.

I live south of Asheville, and Work in Spartanburg, SC..

the COL is higher in NC.. but depending on your job skills, there are quite a few companies in the Asheville, NC. Greenville/SPartanburg,SC area..

The Spartanburg Club has matches every Sat.. I'm a new member so I can't post the link but just google spartanburg pistol club....

J