Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A 1911 guy returns to revolver

Canuck223

So in one of those moments of boredom, I traded off the STI Spartan my kids no longer cared for on a S&W Model 58.

It arrived Friday and yesterday I detail cleaned it. For a 35+ year old police trade-in revolver, there's little internal wear. The exterior is showing wear, but with the sideplates off, the gun looks new.

I took everything out and gave it a good cleaning. Old grease/oil and fouling were removed and the parts themselves looked near perfect. Only a few scratches on the hammer were present.

When I reassembled it, of course I had to play with the strain screw. As a 1911 guy, my revolver time is limited to the few years I used to shoot PPC.

One thing I observed could be normal, but I was finding it for the first time. With the strain screw backed out two full turns, the arch of the mainspring was reduced to a point where the tip of the mainspring was making contact with the back of the hammer as the trigger was approaching it's DA release point. Tightened fully, it still seems to cam on this surface when cocked to single action.

Stupid question of the day, but when I first grabbed the gun and practiced DA trigger while maintaining a sight picture, I realized that I was holding the gun high thumb. The tips of my thumbs were resting just behind the recoil shield. I know when I started shooting 20+ years ago, I used to hold with a low thumb grip. Now I'm wondering if it matters. What say the hive mind?

I shoot "high thumb hold" but my thumb rests on the cylinder release button. (California Competition or if I am lucky the Ed Brown). As 343 indicates if you have your thumb on the rebound shield it will come back and break a nail if it rests straight against it. But then again I don't do major power factor. later rdd

I place my left thumb on the recoil shield and my right thumb on a checkered hogue cylinder release. If I curl my fingers it feels ally unnatural for me and my right thumb gets hit during recoil. I don't realize any issues even during major pf but I do probably shoot more minor.

Lee

I use high thumbs on my revolver. I use it for pins and my load is around a 190-195ish power factor. If you don't think about it you won't notice it. It felt more natural to me so I went with it. You do get a soot coverd thumb.

I have noticed it takes a little more effort for trigger control. It is almost like you can't hold the gun as tight and disconnect your trigger from your hamd as well without your thumbs - good enough for 95% of shots though.

Lee

Edited by Mitch_Rapp.45