Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sig P220 now or Hk45 later

Hey, I am a long time 1911 shooter looking to put another 45 cal in my bag to have when the 1911 is in the shop or for a change. I was starting to save up for a Hk45 LEM, but the local shop has a nice W. German Sig P220 for $625. Considering for that price I could buy the pistol, holster, mags and still have money left over for beer compared to the $$$$ for a hk, I'm thinking hard about it.

Any guidance from those that have moved from a 1911 to either gun? I never did well going from DA to SA when shooting a M9, so that is a strike against the P220, but dang those HKs ar expensive

Edited by cutter304

I say get the P220 for $625 now if its in good shape. Used to own a .45 West German P220 which was one of the most accurate pistols I've ever owned. You can have the DA/SA trigger worked on by someone like Grayguns to lighten and improve the trigger pull. Used to like the single action of the P220 right out of the box. Dryfire practice will also help with getting used to the DA first shot.

I say get the P220 for $625 now if its in good shape. Used to own a .45 West German P220 which was one of the most accurate pistols I've ever owned. You can have the DA/SA trigger worked on by someone like Grayguns to lighten and improve the trigger pull. Used to like the single action of the P220 right out of the box. Dryfire practice will also help with getting used to the DA first shot.

Thanks for the tip on Greyguns. They have some good info on Sigs, including a article on how to evaluate a used gun.

Edited by cutter304

My HK 45 USP Tactical is my favorite and most accurate factory pistol. I only like to shoot my $3k custom 2011 more, except when I shoot the HK with my 45 TiRant can-this is simply AWESOME!

JMHO, but having owned/shot both, neither the 220 or any of the HK45's would be what I'd be looking at, both are decent but IMO conjure more yawns than smiles.

I'd say grab a Cz97 for around $500, then install a lighter $3 hammer-spring and a $65 CZCustoms competition hammer... So good, you may end up leaving your 1911's in the safe...

if your a diehard 1911 guy, i dont know how much your going to like the sig or HK (especially the LEM, i tried one and hated that particular trigger on HK's) I would look for a used HK45, it will get you down a little in price. Between my USPc 9 and P30L, i prefer the SA of the USP over the SA of my P30. The ergonomics of the HK 45 are better than that of the USPc but a USP 45 might fit the bill better than the HK45. Sig triggers can be made pretty damn light. Its really a Ford v Chevy debate IMO either can serve your needs.