Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hucksters

EricW

I hate hucksters.  

I don't care if they're selling "Free Energy" machines, "Vitamin O," Cold Fusion, or the Religion du Jour.  Fortunately, hucksters always easy to spot.  The huckster always makes an assertion then challenges you or a third party to prove them wrong.  Sorry muchacho, but that ain't the way it works.  It is *your* responsibility to prove yourself right.  Not mine.  Not anyone else's.  Don't like it?  Tough.  That's the way proper logic has worked since the Parthenon was just a coffee table.

Huckster, maybe it's time to hitch up your snake oil wagon and mosey on out past the city limits.  Your wares are stinkin' up the place.

(Edited by EricW at 5:04 pm on Dec. 5, 2002)

Erik, know how you feel.

I work retail in a gunshop and we get all sorts of door to door snake oil sellers. They just wander in and waltz up to the counter and set to. Most of the guys at the shop are real polite and listen for a bit then say no thanks. I just say "what have you got to sell", don't wait for them to answer before reaching for something large calibre and say "you buy this and I'll buy yours" or "you can stop the door from hitting you in the arse by walking real fast". I get this twice to four times a week and its worse at this time of the year than any other. And guess what I am only busier when its duck and deer season. ( I live Southern Hemisphere )

While I'm at it. We had a call from the American Express people last week and they wanted to send a rep in to see if we were happy with everything. Seeing as I was essentailly running the show that week (the owner was away murdering deer) I said that if they were going to send someone around to sell me a card they should not bother as I have enough cards thanks. I only want to talk to  someone about the Merchant side of the business. "Oh no sir this is only about your Merchant services". I go "great, come on around"

Next day two "people" turn up and start in on "if you take this coloured card we will do this for you". I reminded him and her that they were here under false pretences and they could fornicate elsewhere. I aimed them at the door and helped them on there way out.

I had real customers to deal with. My customers deserve my time, they pay for it. They are also nice people.

Hawkers, hucksters and con men are just that, con men. They are the scum of the earth and it's a shame I was unable to demonstrate my product properly.

Thats better!!!!!!!

I believe that the generation of “controversy in order to publicize/market” is also at work here. This methodology is one of the many tactics used to sell “psuedo-science” to the public. Along with the afore-mentioned way of demanding dis-proof as a method of proof (great post EricW) you have a one, two, to the solar plexus of gut level response.  Logic dictates disdain in these matters.

The marketing hype level in the message is very high, and I believe that there is only one individual here (in the BenoSphere) who is empowered to engage in “Shameless Commerce” (term courtesy of the Boy’s at Car Talk).

The **** **** system of shooting may be a radically new method for achieving hits with a handgun quickly, but, if you visit the home site for this method, you will find that it is also heavily touted as a system of “Fighting” & “Surviving” in life threatening situations with a handgun. I am here (in the BenoSphere) for competition based reasons, and do not wish to see a mongrelization of the purpose embodied here. I especially do not wish any attempt to "Sell" it to me.

I do not deny that self -defense is a valid use for firearms, and I do not deny the grim realities embodied therin. I do however, object to ***'s attempt to integrate the “death & mayhem” dealing values espoused (sold for cash actually) at ****************.com, into the competition based environment that is fostered here (in the BenoSphere). They are distinctly different venues, and should remain at least half a world apart. I appreciate the need for different stances here. I also see the need for a line. Either side of the line is fine, the baggage just needs to stay at home.

I have heard it said, agree with, and choose to re-iterate here, the great thing about competition. It tends to keep out the riff raff.

Regards.