Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone Running a G20 w/.40 Conversion Barrel for Limited?

DRAB81

I want to put together a Glock to play in Limited/L10, and I can't decide between a G35 & G20 in .40cal. I don't want to reinvent the wheel, but I like the feel of the G20 just as much as a G35. I remember someone on here saying that a G20 would be a sleeper of a limited gun, because of the extra slide mass and larger grip (both should noticeably reduce felt recoil/flip). I know I'll have to up the powder charge due to the shorter 4.6" G20 barrel, so it may be a wash. I've never heard or seen anything else about it since then, but I'm still intrigued by the idea.

I initially ran a G34 in SSP, but I sold it & I swapped over to a GEN4 G17 for both SSP & Production. I have a GEN 4 G21 that I plan to shoot CDP with. I also currently have a G20SF that I built into a 6" Longslide, but I don't want to use it for competition. 

Should I go the proven route with a G35, or experiment with a G20 in .40S&W?

Edited by MEAT

I've got one and it screams.

Even with factory hollowpoint/defensive ammo the recoil is very very soft.

If your hands fit that size frame I highly recommend it.

Unlike some other folks, I did NOT have good luck shooting .40 out of the 10mm barrel.

FY42385

with the .40 conversion barrel also work in a G21?

The G21's breachface is wider than the G20's, so the barrels aren't interchangeable. I'm sure people have done it, but I wouldn't even think about it. LWD recently discontinued their 45-10mm conversion barrels due to reliability issues. Guys had to either modify a G21 extractor to grab the 10mm case, or try the 10mm extractor, and nobody seems to have figured out how to make it run 100%. My guess is, there's probably no chance of a 45-40 barrel being produced.

It works as long as your hands are big enough for the large frame g20. I have a bunch of standard frame 40's and large framed guns, my hands are about in the middle. I like the g20 with the 40 barrel in it, but watch the conversion barrel for having a short chamber, mine needs to get reamed out more. I load a little longer for the big framed gun than for my standard frames and the rounds don't always seat in the chamber fully. I need them a little longer to work 100% in the 10mm mags. Other than that, I love the big gun. i also use a g21 with the stock slide and with Nik's long slide on it, very soft shooting gun. Good luck with it.

michaels

A good friend made A in Limited with a G20 and a .40 conversion barrel. He upgraded to an SVI in June 2011, but he still likes the G20. He liked the larger frame fit in his hands and the lack of recoil due to the massive slide. His YouTube channel has many videos of him shooting the G20. I am not able to post links, so you will have to go to YouTube and search for user "dagger10k" and look for his videos from before June 2011.

A good friend made A in Limited with a G20 and a .40 conversion barrel. He upgraded to an SVI in June 2011, but he still likes the G20. He liked the larger frame fit in his hands and the lack of recoil due to the massive slide. His YouTube channel has many videos of him shooting the G20. I am not able to post links, so you will have to go to YouTube and search for user "dagger10k" and look for his videos from before June 2011.

Pfft.. he is Master now=)

Pfft.. he is Master now=)

He is a Master now (congrats James!!), but he made M with the SVI. He made A with the G20.

I like the g20 with the 40 barrel in it, but watch the conversion barrel for having a short chamber, mine needs to get reamed out more. I load a little longer for the big framed gun than for my standard frames and the rounds don't always seat in the chamber fully. I need them a little longer to work 100% in the 10mm mags. Other than that, I love the big gun.

The one thing I hadn't really thought about, is the possibility of 40 loads not functioning 100% in my 10mm mags. I have loaded all my 40 @ 1.135 for Glocks in the past, but I load my 10mm from 1.250-1.260 for my G20LS. I might be able to have the barrel reamed/throated to fit my specific reloads, and I could potentially load out to 1.20" if I really wanted to. If I set it up to run at say 1.180", will it still run on factory ammo or my 1.135" loads? Also, have you found the OAL sweet spot for running 40 in a 10mm Mag?

I'm in NorCal too, about 70 miles away from Richmond. I may have to make my way out there sooner than I had planned...

What OAL's are you guys running? Any feeding issues?

Depending on which barrel I buy (KKM or Storm Lake) and what they can do as far as tailoring the chamber to my specific handload, I think I'd like to stay between 1.160"-1.180". What do you guys think?

I have a newer model G20SF with a KKM .40 conversion barrel, runs 100%! I use Arredondo Base Pads, & get 20 re-loadable rounds. I am a Glock Armor so I did the trigger my self, its just under 2 pounds, got rid of some of the pre-travel, & no overt-ravel. I am very happy with how it turned out. I use the same OAL as I did for my G24/35, 1.130, I am using 180grn JHP's with Tightgroup loaded to about 175PF. Hope that helps!

I have a newer model G20SF with a KKM .40 conversion barrel, runs 100%! I use Arredondo Base Pads, & get 20 re-loadable rounds. I am a Glock Armor so I did the trigger my self, its just under 2 pounds, got rid of some of the pre-travel, & no overt-ravel. I am very happy with how it turned out. I use the same OAL as I did for my G24/35, 1.130, I am using 180grn JHP's with Tightgroup loaded to about 175PF. Hope that helps!

That helps alot, thanks! I have 2k Zero 180gr JHP's, 4# TG, & 4# WSF to load up for this build. I do have a few more questions though.

Do you compete with it?

Have you been able to compare it to a G22/35 in competition, or on a shot timer?

What spring are you running?

From what I've read, a 15# ISMI should be just about right. It just so happens that I have an extra SS G20 guiderod & a 15# ISMI spring, so hopefully I've got that covered already. Now I just need to either find a decent deal on a G20 upper, or just bite the bullet and buy a brand new G20 for a little more.

Edited by MEAT

That helps alot, thanks! I have 2k Zero 180gr JHP's, 4# TG, & 4# WSF to load up for this build. I do have a few more questions though.

Do you compete with it?

Have you been able to compare it to a G22/35 in competition, or on a shot timer?

From what I've read, a 15# ISMI should be just about right. It just so happens that I have an extra SS G20 guiderod & a 15# ISMI spring, so hopefully I've got that covered already. Now I just need to either find a decent deal on a G20 upper, or just bite the bullet and buy a brand new G20 for a little more.

I do compete with it, I use it for USPSA Limited. Your going to have to bump that load to make Major & to make the gun function 100%, remember it's a 10MM, heavier slide!!! I have tried everything fro 4.2-5.0 of TG with 180JHP's & a stock recoil spring. I like the 4.6-4.8 range. I have thought about running a 15lb spring, but it runs good as is. I have compared it to the 22/35/24 & defiantly like the G20 better. I shoot the gun a lot better then I ever did any of my other limited guns.

Do you compete with it?

I do compete with it, I use it for USPSA Limited. Your going to have to bump that load to make Major & to make the gun function 100%, remember it's a 10MM, heavier slide!!! I have tried everything fro 4.2-5.0 of TG with 180JHP's & a stock recoil spring. I like the 4.6-4.8 range. I have thought about running a 15lb spring, but it runs good as is. I have compared it to the 22/35/24 & defiantly like the G20 better. I shoot the gun a lot better then I ever did any of my other limited guns.

Thanks again! That's exactly the info I'm looking for. I was really hoping to get a Dawson ICE magwell, but it looks like Zev & Carver are my only options if I decide to run a magwell on a G20SF frame. I figured I'd be between 4.5-4.7gr TG to make 170-175 out of a 4.6" barrel, so it's good to know that I'm starting in the right place. I already have a 15# ISMI setup, so I'll try that first. I may end up lightening the slide if I feel like its slowing me down. I'm not anywhere near a master class shooter yet, so that might be getting a little ahead of my abilities for now. I don't have large hands, but I prefer the larger grip of the G20SF for some reason anyway. I have to shift my grip slightly to drop mags no matter what Glock I'm shooting, so I'm pretty sure I'll be going forward with this build. I appreciate all the help.

Two more questions and I swear I'll stop bugging you.

What holster are you using? I had a CompTac paddle for my G34 that I liked, and believe it or not I actually like my Uncle Mike's paddles a lot too. I had a Blade Tech DOH for my GEN 4 G35, but my draw didn't seem to be compatible with that rig. It kept sticking, and pulling the end of the holster outward even with the tension screws backed out all the way. I know the DOH wasn't designed for the GEN 4 G34/35's, but from what I read, it was the only one that worked at the time. Maybe it was sticking because of the wider dust cover? The DOH looks like the standard for a non-race holster, so maybe it's worth another look.

What sights are you running? I plan on using all black sights, with either a Sevigny Competition or Warren Tactical rear. What height front sight works for you? I have a black Dawson Adjustable rear, and .285 x .100 F/O on my G20LS, but I like a wider rear notch for competition.

Edited by MEAT

Do you compete with it?

Thanks again! That's exactly the info I'm looking for. I was really hoping to get a Dawson ICE magwell, but it looks like Zev & Carver are my only options if I decide to run a magwell on a G20SF frame. I figured I'd be between 4.5-4.7gr TG to make 170-175 out of a 4.6" barrel, so it's good to know that I'm starting in the right place. I already have a 15# ISMI setup, so I'll try that first. I may end up lightening the slide if I feel like its slowing me down. I'm not anywhere near a master class shooter yet, so that might be getting a little ahead of my abilities for now. I don't have large hands, but I prefer the larger grip of the G20SF for some reason anyway. I have to shift my grip slightly to drop mags no matter what Glock I'm shooting, so I'm pretty sure I'll be going forward with this build. I appreciate all the help.

Two more questions and I swear I'll stop bugging you.

What holster are you using? I had a CompTac paddle for my G34 that I liked, and believe it or not I actually like my Uncle Mike's paddles a lot too. I had a Blade Tech DOH for my GEN 4 G35, but my draw didn't seem to be compatible with that rig. It kept sticking, and pulling the end of the holster outward even with the tension screws backed out all the way. I know the DOH wasn't designed for the GEN 4 G34/35's, but from what I read, it was the only one that worked at the time. Maybe it was sticking because of the wider dust cover? The DOH looks like the standard for a non-race holster, so maybe it's worth another look.

What sights are you running? I plan on using all black sights, with either a Sevigny Competition or Warren Tactical rear. What height front sight works for you? I have a black Dawson Adjustable rear, and .285 x .100 F/O on my G20LS, but I like a wider rear notch for competition.

I'm glad my info helped you! I my self have small hands, but also like the lager grip. I don't have a magwell on my G20, I have shot another G20 with one & didn't care for it, my reload was actually slower! Dry fire will be your best friend! For holsters, I use Blade Tech. Holsters & mag pouches are kinda hard to find for that model & for competition use. They offer a kit, holster & mag pouch, works really well. I will agree, the dust cover was more then likely the reason your DOH didn't work with the Gen4. Sights, I am using the standard Sevigney Competition Sights, Black Rear, Fiber Optic front. They work really well, at least for me!

I want to put together a Glock to play in Limited/L10, and I can't decide between a G35 & G20 in .40cal. I don't want to reinvent the wheel, but I like the feel of the G20 just as much as a G35. I remember someone on here saying that a G20 would be a sleeper of a limited gun, because of the extra slide mass and larger grip (both should noticeably reduce felt recoil/flip). I know I'll have to up the powder charge due to the shorter 4.6" G20 barrel, so it may be a wash. I've never heard or seen anything else about it since then, but I'm still intrigued by the idea.

I initially ran a G34 in SSP, but I sold it & I swapped over to a GEN4 G17 for both SSP & Production. I have a GEN 4 G21 that I plan to shoot CDP with. I also currently have a G20SF that I built into a 6" Longslide, but I don't want to use it for competition. 

Why not use the 6" with a KKM conversion barrel. That's what i did with a regular G20. I have big hands so I didn't want the SF. My slide is the one without the coffin cut and I'm running a 13lbs recoil spring. I do think the slide needs lightened. I think this combo is going to be awesome in limited in 2013 once the new rules are in effect. And I like the feel of the Zev Tec magwell and don't care what shooter995 thinks!!! But I do like his Glock triggers.

Why not use the 6" with a KKM conversion barrel. That's what i did with a regular G20. I have big hands so I didn't want the SF. My slide is the one without the coffin cut and I'm running a 13lbs recoil spring. I do think the slide needs lightened. I think this combo is going to be awesome in limited in 2013 once the new rules are in effect. And I like the feel of the Zev Tec magwell and don't care what shooter995 thinks!!! But I do like his Glock triggers.

Mainly because even though it's a Glock, it's just too damn pretty. I got the solid top for the extra mass to help slow the slide down, which is also why I run a 22# spring. I built my G20LS mostly for hunting, and I've developed some pretty crazy handloads in 10mm & 9x25 Dillon. In 10mm, I have gotten 200gr WFNGC's to average 1416fps. In 9x25 Dillon, I have a 90gr XTP load that averages 2050fps, and I'm working up a 124gr XTP load that should get up to 1800fps. The Dawson adjustable rear has a more narrow notch than I'd like for competition use, and I prefer a shorter sight radius right now, but that may change. Plus, it gives me an excuse to buy a new gun.

Here's mine:

IMG_6404.jpg

Edited by MEAT

That 6", with a .40 barrel, and maybe a 13 or 15 pound spring, would be the bees knees. Too pretty? :wacko: Shoot it like you stole it!! :devil:

I'm seriously thinking if I get back into Limited in a year or two, a 6" G20 in .40 with low mounted Bo-Mars and a 2 pound trigger is calling my name.

Mainly because even though it's a Glock, it's just too damn pretty. I got the solid top for the extra mass to help slow the slide down, which is also why I run a 22# spring. I built my G20LS mostly for hunting, and I've developed some pretty crazy handloads in 10mm & 9x25 Dillon. In 10mm, I have gotten 200gr WFNGC's to average 1416fps. In 9x25 Dillon, I have a 90gr XTP load that averages 2050fps, and I'm working up a 124gr XTP load that should get up to 1800fps. The Dawson adjustable rear has a more narrow notch than I'd like for competition use, and I prefer a shorter sight radius right now, but that may change. Plus, it gives me an excuse to buy a new gun.

Here's mine:

IMG_6404.jpg

What finish do you have on your slide? I do agree it's pretty but I would run the heck out of it. Maybe after the slide lightening I'll finish mine like this.

Here's mine:

IMG_6404.jpg

What finish do you have on your slide? I do agree it's pretty but I would run the heck out of it. Maybe after the slide lightening I'll finish mine like this.

I had it done by CCR. It's their Cera-Hide finish, and the color is House Black. Don't get me wrong, I shoot this thing A LOT, it's just never seen the inside of a holster. The finish was only $59 (summer sale), so I don't really know why I'm so protective of it. It will probably end up being a limited gun someday, but for now it's built to handle nuclear 10mm handloads. Do you have a layout plan for the lightening? Who's doing the work or you? I've read that Matt Cheely/CCGunworks & Freedom Gunworks do some great work, but I haven't seen any Glocks done by either of them. I really like the look of Salient's guns, but I'm guessing it ain't cheap to have a slide done there. Glockworx has some nice cuts too, and they seem pretty reasonable.

Also, Holsters Plus is the only company I know of that makes holsters for the G20/21 Longslides. I guess you could modify a holster to fit though.

http://www.holstersplus.com/Products.aspx?CAT=40

Edited by MEAT

Here's mine:

IMG_6404.jpg

I had it done by CCR. It's their Cera-Hide finish, and the color is House Black. Don't get me wrong, I shoot this thing A LOT, it's just never seen the inside of a holster. The finish was only $59 c(summer sale), so I don't really know why I'm so protective of it. It will probably end up being a limited gun someday, but for now it's built to handle nuclear 10mm handloads. Do you have a layout plan for the lightening? Who's doing the work or you? I've read that Matt Cheely/CCGunworks & Freedom Gunworks do some great work, but I haven't seen any Glocks done by either of them. I really like the look of Salient's guns, but I'm guessing it ain't cheap to have a slide done there. Glockworx has some nice cuts too, and they seem pretty reasonable.

Also, Holsters Plus is the only company I know of that makes holsters for the G20/21 Longslides. I guess you could modify a holster to fit though.

http://www.holstersplus.com/Products.aspx?CAT=40

Thanks for the info on the finish. All that you mentioned for slide cuts are a ccnsideration. I'm also looking at Gans Guns. I had a Ready Tactical holster made for this gun and like it a lot.