Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

We need new JP buffer/spring system reviews

ericm

2. Should the JPSCS be run lighter for a CTR02 with LMOS? Can weights be removed? Or should they?

No, don't try and remove any weights.

Oh gawd! Did he just tell a engineer to "Don't Try" :eatdrink:

Brown truck just dropped mine off...came with 2 sets of instructions...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it would be drop in.

Have to depress the stock buffer retainer pin and spring. Or optionally, remove them. Instructions say that rifle will not function with traditional buffer and spring components, but I have been running mine that way for 2 years now. :surprise:

Now that you bring it up, I guess there is no need for a retainer with the captured spring.

There is no need for a retainer in ANY AR-15. It only serve to make disassembly easier. If you know it is not there, it is really not that big of a deal. If you are taking your rifle apart on the clock, your pretty much done for the stage anyway.

So the new JP buffer is also the removal of a failure point with no downside = good.

Just got back from the first test session...

I have several AR-15 buffers and springs that will soon be for sale. :surprise:

In addition to EricMs questions, I did have one more, to which JP replied. A few drops of oil on the rod.

It did change the recoil impulse in the 4 rifles I tried it in (including a .450 Bushmaster). Softer, smoother and less noise.

Professional shooter Jesse Tischauser, who is sponsored by Stag arms, Loki Firearms and J.P. Enterprises did the original testing on this for his sponsor and did a great write up on boomer shooter, and many of the questions you guys have he has already figured for the engineers at J.P. from reading his write up. You all would do well to read it, as he really knows how stuff works and how to engineer it better.

Professional shooter Jesse Tischauser, who is sponsored by Stag arms, Loki Firearms and J.P. Enterprises did the original testing on this for his sponsor and did a great write up on boomer shooter, and many of the questions you guys have he has already figured for the engineers at J.P. from reading his write up. You all would do well to read it, as he really knows how stuff works and how to engineer it better.

Could you please post a link?

Thx

No disrespect intended towards Jesse, but I think you ought to check your facts!

Not sure if this is the correct on but this one seems pretty good, and also by Jesse .

JP Enterprises Silent Captured Buffer Spring

I received my JP Enterprises Silent Captured Spring & Buffer last week. Unlike most new products I test I stuffed this one directly into my match gun and drive two hours both ways to a monthly 3 gun match to test the system. I had quite a bit of confidence in the new system based solely on the company manufacturing it. The new JP Silent Captured Spring & Buffer did not disappoint!

I fired about 75 rounds through my Stag Arms Model 3G at the match. There was a good mix of fast CQB type shooting and slow fire long range shooting. We also saw our fair share of dust and wind. None of it was any trouble for the JP Spring.

When I first installed the new spring into my rifle I remembered that you do not need the buffer retainer for this unit. It will not fly out of the gun without one which is really cool because I know one day during a rifle build or stock change I am going to lose an eye from the buffer retainer pin flying up and hitting me in the face. Installation was quick. I run a stock with a rifle length buffer tube I had to first drop the nylon spacer into the buffer. Getting the new spring kit into the gun would have been mindless had there been no buffer pin in the rifle. But since my rifle still has one I had to do a little wiggling and pushing to get the buffer weights past the pin. It was also easier to install when I took the upper half completely off of the rifle. Once installed, I racked the bolt a few times. WOW, talk about smooth!!! The friction is minimal. It made my current JP Enterprises custom carbine center-less ground and polished operating spring and low mass buffer seem less awesome than they are which is hard to do. The new silent spring setup did feel as though there was more spring tension than my regular JP buffer/spring setup. I would expert John Paul has the spring rate dialed right where it needs to be though as the gun ran like a champ all day.

I had completely forgotten about the fact that I had installed the new system when I broke my first shot at the match. I was shooting prone and my compensator was between a dump barrel and a tree on dry dirt. The compensator immediately created a dust storm in my shooting area and that coupled with this odd quiet smoothness to my rifle had me confused briefly that my rifle might have suffered a malfunction. I didn't feel the bolt stop and my trigger reset so I squeezed off my second round. I was dumbfounded. I typically double plug when I shot utilizing foam ear plugs inside my Peltor Tactical Sport amplified muffs which deadens everything. I thought man these plugs are workign great today. The 2nd shot it took felt the same and felt and sounded kind of like shooting a suppressed rifle with muffs on. The best way I can think of to explain it is very uneventful. Immediately after the 3rd round I fired I realized what was wrong with my rifle. It was running better than it ever had before!

Here are some cell phone pictures of the system next to the one it is replacing in all of my rifles.

Im not knocking JP for coming up with cool stuff, but this looks like a fix for problem that doesnt really exist.

Noise? Smoothness?

Is that the issue?

Does it make the rifle run better?

I run a JP low mass buffer and a stock rifle length spring, no noise, smooth as snot on glass....

I dont notice any issues on any of the other rifles i have either.

Just my opinion.

Edited by Big Bore

Im not knocking JP for coming up with cool stuff, but this looks like a fix for problem that doesnt really exist.

Noise? Smoothness?

Is that the issue?

I run a JP low mass buffer and a stock rifle length spring, no noise, smooth as snot on glass....

Just my opinion.

Did u know u needed a low mass bolt carrier before you first shot one or how about a compensator?

I am not sponsored by Loki or JP currently but I do own several of their products that I purchased with my own coin?

Noise? Smoothness?

Is that the issue?

Just my opinion.

Did u know u needed a low mass bolt carrier before you first shot one or how about a compensator?

Been way ahead of you for quite some time.

Noise? Smoothness?

Is that the issue?

Just my opinion.

Been way ahead of you for quite some time.

Sorry I'm slow you will have to elaborate on that in laymans terms. I'm not sure if that was a joke or an insult?

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

Installed on one a build i completed for a friend tonight. neat piece of kit.

One question though: What does it improve? or just quiet the "sproing" ?

For me it reduced the number of recoil impules I could feel. I can still feel the initial recoil impulse and the bolt close, both softer. But the intermediate impulse(s) were no longer perceptible. The recoil reduction on the .450 Bushmaster was significant.

Edited by MarkCO

• 2 weeks later...

If you need one of the JP Silent Captured Spring assy for AR-15 or AR-10 look here

JP Springs

He has 8 AR-15 and 10 AR-10 models in stock. Most places I checked are back ordered...

I just bought one here to install in one of our lady shooters AR, she was having trouble pulling the charging handle with the old setup but is just fine with the new JP Spring.

FredQ

:goof: Thanks for the heads up! I'll have to see if I can cancel my back order with JP in the morning before putting my order in.

Update: JP cancelled my order without any issue and I have one on order from just down the road now! :cheers:

CM

Edited by Clint-M

Reading the reviews, this is obbviously a nice addition to the rifle. Is it really worth it? Or is the money better spent elsewhere on the rifle? Does it legitimately reduce felt recoil or is it just perceived due to the reduced "sproing"? I'll get it if its really worth it

Edited by jdknotts1