Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Iron Sight Revolver" -- Steel Challenge

Carmoney

Earlier this year I "came out of retirement" and returned to competitive shooting after a long hiatus. One of the local clubs has begun running the Steel Challenge format on a monthly basis, and I am finding it to be an absolute blast to shoot with a revolver!

My equipment: S&W 8-shot M-627PC 5", Miculek grips, Weigand rear sight blade, old Safariland 002, 122-gr. TC over a little pinch of Bullseye.

My 11-yr-old son's equipment: S&W 7-shot M-686+, Fobus paddle holster (same one he uses for IDPA with his M-10 skinny barrel), replacement straight black front sight, bantam Hogues, same ammo as me.

Questions:

1. Any opinions, issues, or recommendations on these choices so far?

2. Think I need to consider the new high-tech speed holsters? If so, which one?

3. Do I need to make sure my loads are 120 power factor if I decide to go to the big match next year in Piru where the stop plates have those mechanical sensors?

Your thoughts or viewpoints on these (or related) topics would be appreciated!

Mike

I am unsure of power factor but rules are in place for some reason. With faster bullets your unconscious hearing gets the ring of the steel much faster too. The safarilad 002 holster is the speed holster of 90% of the revolver shooters. I have been using a Blade-Tech revo holster for my 627 for 3 years now and it is faster than the 002 and I am not worried about my gun falling out. (it is much better in retention) Blade-Tech also has the new Tek-Lok full moon clip holders. With 4 of these double stacked holders you have 64 rnds at your disposal!

I don't see where there is any SC rule against using ammo less than 120K power factor--the book seems to merely advise the shooter that the stop plates at the SC range are calibrated daily with 120K loads. I don't want to violate any rules, though, so if I am wrong about this, someone please let me know.

I also like the Blade-Tech holster and Tec-lok full-moon carriers, and use these with my S&W 646 for IDPA. (The stuff is a little expensive, however...) I would think in a pure speed match that holster would require the shooter to lift the gun upward quite a bit further before the holster is cleared.

I was wondering more about the new "skeleton" speed holsters like the Limcat, Rescomp, Aluminator, or Garcia Academy rigs. My main concern is having to remember to hit some sort of lock switch or knob every time I go to the line--that just sounds like something I would forget to do now and then....

Part of the reason of the "suggested" power factor is to ensure full destuction of the bullet as a safety measure. But I've never seen them check power factor at the steel challenge. Another reason to have some speed behind you bullet is for distance accuracy (on outer limits for example). If they still have that stage, I know they've made some stage changes since I was there.

But if you are hitting POA at 30-40 yds or so, you should be fine.

I use a Hogue speed holster for my 627-4, hogue can make you the adapter to fit your model of gun.

Hey Dave Hearth, can you set aside 10 of your clips for the 38-super, I'll be leaving today around 5pm, be there tomarrow around 10 am your time. see you at the IRC

Carmoney,

From the Rule book:

"Bullet velocity of 750 FPS is recommended to achieve full destruction of the bullet. Be aware that a power factor of 120 is required on the impact stop plates at the Steel Challenge Pistol Tournament."

A SLIGHTLY lower pf will not hurt though you may have to adjust your sights.

As far as holster. Most revolver shooters my self included use the 002. Personally, I have modified this holster so the gun is much easier to remove but fits tight for walk through. (Hint: my device is similar to what Jason Pettit and John Bagakis use) I think the device they use is called "The gizmo". Get a holster you are COMFORTABLE with because you do not need the stress of unfamiliar equipment on match day.

The most important thing to remember is to strive for a smooth consistent draw and hit. You have 27 draws (all draws hands above shoulders) in the match that count. If you can shave .20-.40sec off the draw and hit using a speed rig then do so.

Remember:

"Sight in" - Make sure your gun hits at POA at 25yds. Check hits at 40 yds and adjust accordingly.

"One shot, one plate" - Enough said (unless you are Casey then shoot enough to get the job done... He is still FAST)

"Set up on the most important shot" - Usually the plate just before the stop plate or the option plate. Also remember to bend your knees and mover at the waste like a gun turret. Thanks Matt B.

"Prep the trigger" - Start the trigger pull before you get on target. That way you do not have to make up time starting the pull when on target. Smooth trigger action is what is needed for success. Thanks Jerry M. - The Revolver God

"Have a stage strategy" - What order of engagement works best for you? After working that out, don't change. You slow yourself down by at least .30sec searching for targets and just winging it. Thanks Roy and Jo-Jo.

Lastly,

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE

Hint: Start practicing a few months before the match. Get used to shooting the whole match through in one practice session. Then go back and work on sticking points. Do not waste time on Smoke and Hope. That is a point shoot and most people do well on that one. That is not where time will be saved.

If you want to see the GREYHOUNDS practice visit Piru one week before the match. they will be there. A couple of years ago I was fortunate to be able to train for 2 weeks with Jo-Jo, Matt Burkett, Todd Jarrett, Roy Haryanto, Casey Eusebio, Bud Bond... I'm sure I left someone out. We Squaded together and shot the match through two times a day. What an experience. I was on mental overload trying to remember all of the techniques I was shown. My above comments are what I gathered and felt to be most important. Good Luck

Just my experience

Hope this helps

RPM8shot