Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Trojan Ramped Barrel

johniac7078

I am seriously thinking about buying an STI Trojan. I will use it for IDPA, Steel etc, but mostly IDPA. I want it in 45ACP, just a personal thing. I was surprised to see on the STI site that all Trojans seem to now come with a ramped barrel. Is this a problem or not. I always thought that a ramped barrel was not needed for a 45 ACP. I understand that it gives more chamber support, but some claim at the cost of reliability. Can you folks weight in on this?

I have the Trojan in 40 and it was a little picky at first, but Virgil Tripp fixed that. I have read here that some have had minor issues while others had them dead nuts right out of the box. But then I have had probs with other manufacturers and could never get the gun to run right. Not so with the STI. Plus, they have an awesome warranty and their customer service is tops.

I have learned that my Trojan does prefer a round nose bullet over the flat or hollow point, but that doesn't stop me from carrying with HP bullets. Since Tripp worked on mine, it really will eat anything I feed it, but the RN just seem smoother and I think the ramped barrel allows that.

I have the Trojan in 40 and it was a little picky at first, but Virgil Tripp fixed that. I have read here that some have had minor issues while others had them dead nuts right out of the box. But then I have had probs with other manufacturers and could never get the gun to run right. Not so with the STI. Plus, they have an awesome warranty and their customer service is tops.

I have learned that my Trojan does prefer a round nose bullet over the flat or hollow point, but that doesn't stop me from carrying with HP bullets. Since Tripp worked on mine, it really will eat anything I feed it, but the RN just seem smoother and I think the ramped barrel allows that.

So do you think the ramped barrel is something to avoid for 45ACP, or is it a non-issue? Thanks for replying!

I don't think it will be an issue. And depending on where you get it (Dawson or Brazos) you can also pay a little more and they will do a tuning/reliability package. A buddy did that with his Ranger from Dawson (in .45) and he stated it is ultra reliable.

I'd say go for it! :cheers:

I don't think it will be an issue. And depending on where you get it (Dawson or Brazos) you can also pay a little more and they will do a tuning/reliability package. A buddy did that with his Ranger from Dawson (in .45) and he stated it is ultra reliable.

I'd say go for it! :cheers:

As said buddy of JDHunz, I have a Ranger 2 in .45 from Dawson...I'm not sure if it "needed" the tuning package, but I can say that it is unbelievably reliable...600 rounds of ball and 100 rounds of hollow point and not ONE failure to feed, eject, load, or fire. My .45 Tactical is completely "as is" out of the box (well, plus tritium sights, but no internal mods) with the ramped bull barrel and so far it has eaten everything I've fed it...HPs, Ball, critical defense from hornady, etc...doesn't matter, it just gobbles rounds.

I'd say tuning package not necessary, but only makes a good thing better.

:cheers: to the .45 ACP! That's my choice too...'cause it's BIGGER. And when it's me or them, I like making bigger holes :devil:

I wouldn't worry about the ramped barrel. I have a Dawson tuned 45acp Trojan that runs 200 gn lead or 230 fmj's without any problems. I did have some trouble with the 200 grs at first. I carried the gun by Dave's shop and he checked it out. Dave found I didn't have enough crimp on my loads. I set my crimps to two thousandths and not a single feeding problem since.

Edited by CJcycles