Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.22 Compensator Reccomendation

prreed10

Does anyone have a .22 comp reccomendation for my Open Buckmark? I've tried the TS one and I don't feel much difference with/without. I'm thinking I'd like a steel one to add a little weight to the front of the gun. Thanks!

I use a SureFire MB556K. Not really for any reason other than I had a bunch of them laying around. Just about any .223 rifle comp will work. I know a couple guys use the SJC Titan, some use the Miculek Bang Comp. I would find a used .223 comp laying around on the bench, or find a used one in the classifieds and start there. There really is very little gas volume to drive a comp effectively so it's mainly a muzzle weight. I've used the TS comp and actually think it works pretty well as a comp.

I have the Allchin comp on my fluted Tactical Solutions barrel. I really like it. I've used the Volquartsen comp as well, but find the mounting of that comp to be unreliable (I've shot the comp off twice). With the Allchin comp, I feel like I'm shooting my STI Steelmaster only much, much lighter.

I have the Allchin comp but ive never used any other so i can't comment if its more or less than any other. I have also not tried anything other than my 4" barrel length and CCI mini mags so i dont know if its better or worse with longer barrels and other ammo. I cna say that it doesn't feel much different with it off except that its quieter without the extra top-facing blast. You can see that there are noticeable gasses going upwards with each shot and I did shoot it at night once as saw flames as well so the diverters work, just no sure there's enough gas for it to fight muzzle rise. I hear that using stingers may help make it function more efficiently since there is more gas there to work with. I will try that soon but with the price premium, the budget conscious allure of rimfire quickly wanes. You're better off with a heavy barrel setup and use sheer mass to fight it. I think my all steel 5.5" buckmark contour has less "recoil" than my buckmark with a 4" tacsol barrel and the allchin comp. This is just one data point though and i've not shot any others so my comparison is very limited.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have a .22 comp reccomendation for my Open Buckmark? I've tried the TS one and I don't feel much difference with/without. I'm thinking I'd like a steel one to add a little weight to the front of the gun. Thanks!

Also depends on the ammo you use. If you want a steel comp to change the balance I have recommended the TS 2211 comp in the past to several shooters and they have all liked so far. I have used both TS comps, the Allchin comp, and BancheeX's comp. I have been using the Allchin comp mostly. However I am thinking myself about going back to the 2211 comp to weigh the end of the barrel down a little. I find a good working comp can be the difference between the dot disappearing momentarily or not. But I am also thinking that a little extra weight on the end can keep the muzzle down a little more also, inspite of the fact that my gun has a thumbrest also. The faster the ammo you use the better a comp will work, just like in an open gun. But in .22 that means using Stingers in reality, or at least 40g Velocitors. Most clubs don't want you using Stingers out of a .22 pistol in a steel match. If you were using CCI-SV you would not notice much difference between a comp and no comp. With CCI-MM I can tell a difference between both setups.

Thanks guys. I believe I'm going to try a heavy AR comp first.

A heavy AR type comp will do little or nothing in a .22 pistol, except act as a barrel weight. The ports are too big for the amount of gas a .22 pistol makes. Most AR comps are side port heavy while a .22 needs vertical ports. The gas needs to reach a certain velocity to have an effect. AR ports are big because they are in a high powered rifle that has a lot of gas to work with. A .22 even a rifle does not have that much gas to power a comp. So the ports need to be smaller to increase the velocity of the escaping gas.

having run a number of comps on .22LR pistols and rifles over the years, my biggest fear was that evenutally, they would fill up with lead and affect accuracy. It wasn't until last year when my son and I really started to practice alot; and when I mean alot, I mean 5K per month practice. I went thru an arrendondo comp that got super leaded up and just could not be cleaned up with out using a drill and dental pick. And then I also had a very opened up custom comp on my sons pistol that we made up so that it can be cleaned up with running a drill (.50") thru the main port and a another drill (.265") thru the business end of the comp. After about 1000 rounds, comps on 22's will lead up to the point where your accuracy will go from a nice tight group at 50yds to a shotgun pattern at 25yds.

Unless you have a comp that can be easily cleaned.....you are better off without one in the long run. And on a rifle....they really are not needed at all.

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

I actually use a comp on my M&P AR15-22 for another reason in addition to what it does or does not do as a comp. I want to increase the noise the gun makes because if the match is not using CED timers they often can't get a good reading on every shot with a rimfire rifle. So I wanted to increase the amount of side noise the gun makes. I currently use a Nordic Tactical because it is about the cheapest comp out there, has 2 big side ports and a few small ones on top.