Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

reassembly of extractor

Xander

No video but it is not difficult at all. The only trick is aligning the pin with the extractor under spring pressure. I usually use a smaller diameter punch to get it lined up initially then do my best to hold in place for the pin.

the way i do it:

strip slide

bridge it upside down across a couple pieces of 2x4

drive the extractor pin out, keeping hte punch through the slide, retaining the extractor

enclose the slide in my fist as i pull the punch out so the extractor and spring don't go anywhere

clean it, inspect for wear, replace spring as necessary

to reassemble, i have a small broken drill bit i use as a slave pin

assemble using slave pin

bridge slide upside down across 2x4s

start driving pin back in from underneath

once the pin is started, hold thumb over extractor, pushing it in. the slave pin will drop out.

finish driving the pin in.

the tricky part is keeping the extractor aligned in the slide while driving it in. might take an extra couple tries the first time around.

this is an essential maintenance step. doesn't need to happen often, but it needs to happen. kind of like a timing belt, but not an oil change in a car.

depends on how clean your load is, i guess. see how it looks after a thousand, and see how dirty it is. you may also want to try dry lube if your loads like to leave gunk in your gun. i run titegroup, which is very clean. i spent more than a year without lifting a finger to clean my gun and it was fine.

depends on how clean your load is, i guess. see how it looks after a thousand, and see how dirty it is. you may also want to try dry lube if your loads like to leave gunk in your gun. i run titegroup, which is very clean. i spent more than a year without lifting a finger to clean my gun and it was fine.

dry lube, meaning no oil or grease on outside of barrels, trigger spring, sear spring and main spring coz I always put some grease on those parts. I'm using VV smokeless powders on teflon heads.

i usually run titegroup over complete jacket, that's been very clean for me and TG burns completely. i don't normally lube my gun, but when i do it's just a little on the barrel, rails, action, trigger spring and bar. i just use whatever lube they give away at matches. i've had a bunch of those brownells friction defense 1 oz. bottles that are nice to keep in the drawer. the other thing i've used is rem-oil spray. easy because i just mist a part and shake off the excess to lube it.