Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gray, balding, and fat...

Ron Ankeny

So I am checking out at K-Mart with a Tonka toy and a little fire truck for my nephew. A very youthful young lady behind the counter smiles and inquires, "Grand kids?"

I reply, "No they are for me."

She asks, "Really?"

To which I reply, "Yes, this is the only time of year that I can buy this type of thing for myself without people giving me strange looks".

Grand kids my butt. I ain't that old, well OK I am that old.

Ron,

I agree with Tightloop, but I know how you feel. I noticed the favourite Movie Actor/Actress thread and names like Cary Grant, Jimmy Stewart and Gene Tierney popped into my head. But I realised most members would react with "huh??". Next I thought of Robert Redford, Clint Eastwood and Michelle Pfeiffer but noticed that Pfeiffer had already been labeled "ageist". So I decided to keep qiuet and just pretend that I know the stars these guys are talking about.

tightloop:

I know a lot of guys my age who are enjoying being a grandpa. Problem is, I don't have any kids so in my case it might not be a good deal.

Kids do the darndest things. I remember being at the checkout stand in a Safeway store with a couple of friends several years back. This little kid (probably 3) comes running towards me (more like a drunken stagger) with his arms out screaming "daddy, daddy". He wraps his arms around my legs, bags me in the gonads with his forehead and hugs for all he was worth. My friends were laughing so hard they almost cried and I darn near died. The kid's mom was as embarrased as could be. The entire episode was priceless.

I am sorry you won't have the pleasure of grandchildren.  from my personal experience, they just make my heart sing everytime they hold out their arms, run toward you yelling Grandad.  It is a super example of unconditional love at its best.

The best part about grand kids is you can spoil them rotten and then send them home with mom and dad.

I keep teasing my kids and telling them that If I would have known Grand kids were this great, I would have skipped the kids and went straight to grand kids.  ;)