Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting partials the same speed as full targets

I shot my open gun this weekend for the first time in 10 months and had a thought after shooting the best stage of my life. I was starting to see my dot good and I decided as I prepared for a stage with a bunch of partials, hell I have a dot, there is no reason to shoot the partials any slower than the full targets, because If I do, I'm shooting the full targets too fast, and if I don't hesitate on those I will gain a ton of time on my competition.

So the buzzer goes off and blammo I see every shot and just focus on pulling the trigger when the dot is in the center of the scoring area. I shot the Texas star so fast it only seemed to move when there was only one plate left. I think I shot the star about as fast as my best run on a plate rack. Every target seemed to be huge because I had this little dot to put where I wanted the bullets to go and all my focus was on preping the trigger and getting the dot to the center of the scoring area.

The run was so fast that my competition (M Class Open) said there was no way I could have shot it that fast. So after the match I shot it again keeping the same mindset. Of course it wasn't as fast, because I was scared he was right, but .8 seconds off the pace isn't that bad, considering the extra shots on the star (I got excited on the last plate)

So, I figure that with a dot if you try to hit within an area 4"x4" on every target you will be way better off than than someone who can't do that with each shot. Anyone can hit the full targets fast, knowing you can hit the partial targets just as fast really makes a difference in a run and is a great way to intimidate your competition.

Shooting accurately on tough courses of fire will save you more time than fast splits.

This complements the "trust your speed" post going around right now.

One object of the course designer should be to distract the shooter from the shooting. No shoots and hard cover are great for doing this. A fully exposed A zone is a fully exposed A zone regardless of whether or not there is hard cover or no shoots around it. They want to distract you with that other stuff. Don't let them.

If they are cutting the A zone with hard cover or no shoots that's a different story. Now they are just trying to be nasty and you need to adapt. Otherwise don't fall for their tricks and shoot the A zones like that other stuff didn't exist since they don't really matter. They only matter in your mind if you let them.

I was scared he was right

Distractions come in many shapes and forms. Don't fall for those tricks either.