Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 Tear Down

Sarge

Time to do a complete tear down of my Open gun. All I have messed with is the top end so far but the filth and muck has built up considerably every where else.

What is the best source for step by step procedures?

How often should I be looking at a complete tear down?

Brazos Custom has this great article on their website

http://www.brazoscustom.com/magart/0501.htm

I normally tear apart my lower receiver once a year, usually right before I leave for my first major match of the year. sometimes I'll break down the lower and clean/lube if I have a specific problem.

I clean my slide after every other shooting session, and take out and clean my AFTEC/firing pin maybe once a month if I'm shooting alot. Depends on the powder you're using though. Starting using N105 right before I went to Area 2. Had a death jam on my very last stage. Took apart the extractor after the stage and it was positively filthy. I had cleaned it before I left home. At that point I had fired about 300 rounds. Maybe it was soft AFTEC springs, I dunno. Probably was a combination of the two.

N105 is nasty filthy but has the excellent dot tracking and shoots the softest in my current setup. Just gotta clean that extractor good and more often with N105. Live and learn I guess. :(

Thanks guys. I am running Auto Comp and it doesn't seem to be too bad as far as being dirty. I have, so far, been able to shoot several matches before stripping the top end and even then it's not generally too bad.