Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nordic Components NC22 light primer strike issues

DiligentPursuit

I've had my NC22 for about 6 months and it has run extreemly well-- that is, until I replaced my Rock River 2-stage trigger with a Geissele Super-3-Gun trigger. Now I have frequent (2 out of 5) FTF's apparently due to light primer strikes. The S3G trigger uses a full strength hammer spring but a lightened hammer. This trigger runs flawlessly with my .223 upper, and I love the trigger. I want to train with the NC-22 using the Geissele trigger, so the question is- how to fix the problem. A note to Nordic Components has yielded nothing yet.

I noted that the firing pin spring on the NC-22 is pretty stiff, so wondered if I might be able to clip off a couple loops of the spring to relieve the tention and get better primer strikes. Is that a crazy idea? Any other ideas? Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

I am running the NC22 and the S3G trigger and no issues with it? Before you start clipping coils, make sure it has a firing pin stop of some sort to prevent the firing pin from dinging the chamber. I haven't taken it apart to verify

How does the cartridge look on the rim? Does it show a good hit on the edge from the firing pin? What ammo (velocity?) And are you certain the trigger is resetting properly? I had a similar problem that ended up bieng the hammer was not fully resetting. 5 coils clipped off the recoil spring fixed it (not the firing pin spring).

Let us know how this goes. I'm going to purchase an NC22 upper soon and yep, I've got the S3G trigger in my lower.

I contacted NC about this and they said they were hearing lots of issues on this but the JP, Jard and Timney triggers work great.

I'm thinking about getting a DD complete lower for the new upper but really didn't want to have $1000 in a .22 rifle.

I checked for trigger reset issues, and maybe I'm missing something here, but the trigger is either reset or it isn't. The hammer is coming down when I pull the trigger. I gave the upper a good cleaning, then checked the tension on the hammer, comparing it to my RR trigger in an identical lower. The spring is mounted correctly and seems to have the same tension as the RR. Of course the hammer in the G3G is lighened. I then put a spent shell in the chamber, fired and checked the strike. It was still light compared to the RR trigger. I'll take it to the range tomorrow and test it with some different ammo to see if anything changes...

With that explanation of what's happening it does not sound like the reset issue I had. I would call Nordic and discuss it with them. Sounds like the hammer bieng light may not have enough energy to overcome the resistance of the firing pin spring.

I am having the same issues with my NC22. Here's my story...

Bought the NC22 early last year and immediately had issues with feeding and extraction. I thought it was a break in issue so I shot it for a while. After a couple of thousand rounds, I still had the same issue. Called Nordic and they had me send my upper in for repair. They basically rebuilt the whole upper and included their new bolt design. Feeding and extraction problems mostly gone (still fails to extract by hand cycling once in a while) but now I was experiencing light primer strikes. Called Nordic again and they explained that the new lighter bolt also had a slightly shorter firing pin although they did not have any issues with light primer strikes. They believed the reason lie with either my ammo (PMC Zapper) or my trigger (S3G and AR Gold). They said I could either try a mil-spec trigger (yuck on a range .22 gun) or different ammo. Called Bill Geissele to see if he had even heavier hammer springs and he said the issue lie with my upper and he had no heavier hammer springs. He got a little defensive when I told him I had slightly less issues with the AR Gold. Tried different ammo during a multi-gun practice and light strike issues continued. Forutnately, ChrisS was there with his NC22 upper to compare and advise. He let me try my NC22 upper with his JP Lower with JP 2lb competition trigger and speed hammer. My NC22 Upper functioned flawlessly. Although I have my own misgivings about Nordic, I have even more dislike of my S3G trigger. The S3G does not feel nearly as nice as the JP or the AR Gold. Now it doesn't even function and play well with my NC22 which I still like even with its issues. I'll be contacting JP and sending my lower to them for a fire control install soon.

ETA: ChrisS noted that the Geissele hammer looked a little shorter than the JP Speed Hammer. He felt that this might be why the Geissele is having light primer strikes.

Edited by bagdrag

I hope mine runs. I'd hate to have to replace a brand new $300+ trigger.

Which trigger and when did you get your upper?

Post #6 above.

Good luck! I haven't had any using the S3G with the NC22. I feel the JP is a better trigger anyways fwiw.

I just spoke with Ryan at Nordic Components. He reported that they've heard from other shooters using lightened hammers or springs who have had the same light strike problems. He mentioned that sometimes the fireing pin roll-pin can create a burr on the pin, and that might create a enough resistance to cause the light strikes. He invited me to send in my bolt (which is the current version) and they'll take a look at it, and test it with some of the light, competition triggers they have. I'm going to do so. Will probably be a couple weeks before I hear anything back (due to Shot Show), but I'll report the findings (if any) here.

One other note. I asked Ryan about possibly clipping a couple coils off the fireing pin spring so a light hammer could more easily depress it. He though that as a bad idea, worrying that the spring might not then retract the pin reliably. They don't have any firing pins in stock presently, so without a back-up I don't want to try it myself.

• 1 month later...

So here’s what Ryan at Nordic told me about using the NC22 with the Geissle S3G trigger...

After receiving my NC22 bolt they got a trigger from Geissle to test it with. They found that because the Geissle

hammer meets the firing pin at a slight angle it will likely always produce light primer strikes. He noted that

other triggers with lightened hammers seem to work fine with the NC22, probably because their geometry

Allows for a perfectly perpendicular contact with the firing pin.

Ryan made a point to comment how impressed they

were with Geissle trigger, which works flawlessly with a 223 bolt. (Just used it in a match this weekend and it

was great.) However, the geometry of the NC22 bolt and the Geissle simply don't seem compatible. So, I guess

I'll be keeping the NC22 on another lower for practice sessions- which is not ideal. Dissapointing not to be able to have my cake and eat it

too, but I will say that Nordic was very responsive.

My upper is a Dec 2010 production, Geiselle SD S3G trigger was purchased early 2011, Spike lower...

Fired it a few days ago, 5ea BlackDog X-mags 26rd each, mags were fired pretty rapidly without any FTF's...

(Winchester Dynapoints)

My upper is a Dec 2010 production, Geiselle SD S3G trigger was purchased early 2011, Spike lower...

Fired it a few days ago, 5ea BlackDog X-mags 26rd each, mags were fired pretty rapidly without any FTF's...

(Winchester Dynapoints)

The earlier NC22 bolts and firing pins should have no problems with the Geissele triggers. It's the latest rendition that is having an issue. My AR Gold works slightly better but it is still not as reliable as the JP with this upper.