Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Captains of Crush

JD45

The COC grippers are so popular here I think we need a training question and answer thread.

I'll start:

How do you train a huge imbalance of your hands? With my left hand, I can barely close the #1 5 reps on the first set. On the fourth set with my right hand, I closed it 17 reps. WTF?? I don't know how to make the left catch up.

I just bought a set for starting out myself so I'm no expert. I'd say just train as hard as you can on each hand and hopefully they will eventually get close... no reason they shouldn't. I'd imagine everyone's strong hand gets more general use so naturally it's stronger.

My weak hand is still a little off my strong hand but getting better. If you are really interested in getting them balanced... train more with the weak hand for a while.. give the right hand some rest. I don't think it's a big deal though.

Funny thing though... when people start working out- say bench pressing... you don't see people tipping them on their weak side.. same thing with curls, etc. Mind must make things equal somehow....

I wouldn't worry about any imbalances too much. If it is bugging you, work around your weaker hand. Do however many reps and sets your weaker hand can handle and then use the same weight and reps with the stronger hand.

I'm with lugnut though, just workout both hands. I bet you even out a bit. Make sure you warm up too! Don't want any pulled muscles.

If I have this kind of problem. I would train my weaker hand with very high intensity for giving it everything I got. After that I would try to give my best workout to my stronger hand. My main goal should be bringing my weaker hand so strong as posible and hoping tuhat to happend. I hope this will help you. Good luck! :-)

One thing you need to remember, you are training Flexors with the COC grippers. You need to train extensors also or you will have real problems later.

You also need to stretch. Stretch the forearm to relieve tension and prevent injury.

I started using these because of hand problems. I got a lot of very good info e mailing the company. They are very good at responding. I plan to add the Imtug tools to my kit to help strengthen the fingers I have the most arthritis in.

If you have closed the #2 or getting close, post your workout including days per week.

I'm waiting on the #2 in the mail.

3 days/week:

1x10 warm up set w/ a "super duper heavy" sporting goods store gripper that isn't even the equal of the CoC Trainer

3x~8 sets w/ #1. I try to hold it closed for around a second and then do a controlled negative.

1x~3 reps w/ the #2, just trying to close or come as close as I can. Haven't been able to do it twice so far.

Also work thumb strength with a spring clamp, and I'm wanting to find some way to work extensors too, maybe order up a set of those IronMind rubber bands.

Eventually I'm going to start the KTA program, I'm just building up my hands with this basic workout so the KTA doesn't tear them apart.

Edited by DonovanM

• 2 weeks later...

I'm learning that you must be careful not to overtrain. My plan was Sun., tue., and thur. for grip workouts. That may be too much, because my hands hurt a little and feel weaker.

• 2 weeks later...

So here's what I've been doing- 1 set 10 each hand with Sport, Trainer then the .5. Then I can do a set of 10 with strong hand with the 1.0 but weak hand is only 5 or so and those are tough. Can do 3-4 1.5 with strong hand but barely 1 with the weak hand. Don't have the 2.0

Neat that I found this thread, just got a #1 and #2. I have not started a regimen yet as I was looking for some direction first. I could close the #1 out of the box with my right(3 reps) and almost with my left(2 reps). I was planning on working out 3 days a week- Mon, Wed, Fri. Is that too much?

I think that age is a huge factor in recovery time. After a heavy, intense, low-rep workout, one day is not enough for me.

Be sure you warm up a little. At least use a cheap $5 gripper for a set of 15 or so. I'm still learning these things too, but I really like them.

One thing you need to remember, you are training Flexors with the COC grippers. You need to train extensors also or you will have real problems later.

You also need to stretch. Stretch the forearm to relieve tension and prevent injury.

I started using these because of hand problems. I got a lot of very good info e mailing the company. They are very good at responding. I plan to add the Imtug tools to my kit to help strengthen the fingers I have the most arthritis in.

I had never heard that but it got me curious on how to do that then I found this.