Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

6.2.5.1 - Should it be changed?

diehli

Okay, I'm on board. Hard enough spanking so that those that do it unintentionally don't do it unintentionally again. I think the commonsense stuff's been codified, so there shouldn't be any further issues there.

Next question: if this is a recurring issue for a competitor (that is s/he's been warned or subjected to 6.2.5.1 on more than 1 occasion for the same issue or, perhaps, even a similar one), should there be some way to track it so that the grossest offenders can be DQ'd, or is the move to Open sufficient?

If someone's continually trying to sneak something by without being noticed, 10.6.1. If they've been 6.2.5.1'd before for the same issue, that seems like a knowing attempt to contravene the rules and should be dealt with more harshly than a mistake.

But can an RO/RM 10.6.1 someone based on conduct they know has happened before that indicates it's not a simple mistake? Is 6.2.5.1 the only recourse in that situation?

What? Like a shooter whose holster seems to keep shifting the gun out to more than 2", or whose mag pouches keep slipping forward in front of the hip bone in Production or Single Stack? First couple of matches bump them to Open, and then eventually, just DQ them with 10.6.1? Personally, I would just keep bumping them to Open.

And eventually they will buy an open gun. Kind of like a stimulus package for gunsmiths

Okay, I'm on board. Hard enough spanking so that those that do it unintentionally don't do it unintentionally again. I think the commonsense stuff's been codified, so there shouldn't be any further issues there.

Next question: if this is a recurring issue for a competitor (that is s/he's been warned or subjected to 6.2.5.1 on more than 1 occasion for the same issue or, perhaps, even a similar one), should there be some way to track it so that the grossest offenders can be DQ'd, or is the move to Open sufficient?

If someone's continually trying to sneak something by without being noticed, 10.6.1. If they've been 6.2.5.1'd before for the same issue, that seems like a knowing attempt to contravene the rules and should be dealt with more harshly than a mistake.

But can an RO/RM 10.6.1 someone based on conduct they know has happened before that indicates it's not a simple mistake? Is 6.2.5.1 the only recourse in that situation?

What? Like a shooter whose holster seems to keep shifting the gun out to more than 2", or whose mag pouches keep slipping forward in front of the hip bone in Production or Single Stack? First couple of matches bump them to Open, and then eventually, just DQ them with 10.6.1? Personally, I would just keep bumping them to Open.

A correction above on further thought. Having the gun more than 2" away from the body isn't a bump to Open, but rather a situation that must be fixed immediately as per 5.2.5.2.

5.2.5.2 Any competitor who fails the foregoing test will be required to immediately adjust his holster or equipment to comply with the requirements of the relevant Division. The Range Master may make allowances for variations in these requirements due to anatomical considerations. Some competitors may not be able to fully comply.

I have given this some additional thought and I have amended my position just a little bit.

Screw up and bet bumped to Open OR the highest division at the match. An example, Revo shooter with an 8 shot Revo inadvertently shoots 7 rounds, okay, he gets bumped to Open, but at the Limited, Production, Revo Nationals there is NO OPEN! so he shoots for fun. My idea is that he gets bumped to the highest division at the match. Now if he is already in Limited and gets busted, sorry, just like if an Open shooter gets busted for an over length mag, he too shoots for fun as there is no 'higher' division.

What? Like a shooter whose holster seems to keep shifting the gun out to more than 2"......? First couple of matches bump them to Open, and then eventually, just DQ them with 10.6.1? Personally, I would just keep bumping them to Open.

Actually, since Open has the 2" restriction too, in that case you'd have to have the shooter shoot for no-score, as his equipment would not be compliant with any division....

What? Like a shooter whose holster seems to keep shifting the gun out to more than 2"......? First couple of matches bump them to Open, and then eventually, just DQ them with 10.6.1? Personally, I would just keep bumping them to Open.

Actually, since Open has the 2" restriction too, in that case you'd have to have the shooter shoot for no-score, as his equipment would not be compliant with any division....

+1. I think a lot of people don't realize that the 2" restriction is for all divisions.

+1. I think a lot of people don't realize that the 2" restriction is for all divisions.

Yup, that's why I posted #52 as a correction.

Edited by Skydiver