Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking to buy my first Rifle

Mike in CT

Hello all,

I am looking to buy my first rifle (I do have a 10/22 and shotgun)and have found a couple of choices I would appreciate opinions on.

I am looking to test out 3-gun and I am shooting at an active club that has 3-gun and rifle only matches. I do not consider myself a great shot, but I do have fun trying. I shoot IDPA and USPSA (classified in both) and switch between an M&P Pro, STI 1911 in 9mm and STI Eagle in 40S&W. I reload as well.

My goal is to get a 'decent' rifle that I can start with and grow with. I am looking to spend about $1,000 total, so any trigger or action work would need to be factored in.

I have found these two choices (cheap and available).

STAG ARMS STAG 15 – M4 .223/5.56 16” 1/9 twist barrel A3 flat top upper A2 butt stock triangle hand guards RRA 2 stage trigger Nikon M-223 3-12x42 scope Nikoplex reticle M-223 mount full lifetime warranty on optics. $1100.00 (Like the scope but would likely swap out the trigger, do not think I would like the 2 stage)

RUGER MINI 14 95% condition roller bolt includes 1- 5 rd & 2- 10 round magazines & scope mounts $550.00 (I would have money available for modifications and ammo)

Also open to other suggestions,

Thanks

Mike

Hello all,

I am looking to buy my first rifle (I do have a 10/22 and shotgun)and have found a couple of choices I would appreciate opinions on.

I am looking to test out 3-gun and I am shooting at an active club that has 3-gun and rifle only matches. I do not consider myself a great shot, but I do have fun trying. I shoot IDPA and USPSA (classified in both) and switch between an M&P Pro, STI 1911 in 9mm and STI Eagle in 40S&W. I reload as well.

My goal is to get a 'decent' rifle that I can start with and grow with. I am looking to spend about $1,000 total, so any trigger or action work would need to be factored in.

I have found these two choices (cheap and available).

STAG ARMS STAG 15 – M4 .223/5.56 16” 1/9 twist barrel A3 flat top upper A2 butt stock triangle hand guards RRA 2 stage trigger Nikon M-223 3-12x42 scope Nikoplex reticle M-223 mount full lifetime warranty on optics. $1100.00 (Like the scope but would likely swap out the trigger, do not think I would like the 2 stage)

RUGER MINI 14 95% condition roller bolt includes 1- 5 rd & 2- 10 round magazines & scope mounts $550.00 (I would have money available for modifications and ammo)

Also open to other suggestions,

Thanks

Mike

Forget the Mini total waste of time and effort trying to get them to shoot. You really need to save up for the STAG 3g. Its 1400 or so but it has everything you need minus the optic. Frankly that is an entry level rifle. Your not going to get a good rifle and optic and trigger for 1k.

Pat

STAG ARMS STAG 15 M4 .223/5.56 16 1/9 twist barrel A3 flat top upper A2 butt stock triangle hand guards RRA 2 stage trigger Nikon M-223 3-12x42 scope Nikoplex reticle M-223 mount full lifetime warranty on optics. $1100.00 (Like the scope but would likely swap out the trigger, do not think I would like the 2 stage)

+1 on forget the Mini.

The 3-12x42 is not seen by most as a good 3 gun optic if used alone. Many will sugest a 1-4 with daylight illunination. You must be able to shoot both eyes open up close and a scope significantly above 1x on the low end makes it harder, not impossible.

For a starter AR; Any functioning AR with a good optic will get you started, 16" 20", no heavy barrels. Adding a COMP would be the next bang for the buck item. A McCluek can be had for $30.00.

A trigger of your choosing would be next. Last would be a longer free float tube. A simple setup like this will go a long way.

Research 3 gun optics before buying that 3-12.

JP has a short and simple optic write-up. http://www.jprifles.com/1.6.3.php

Unfortunately, a number of these new scopes have something less than 1x, resulting in a "fish eye lens" effect that makes it very difficult to shoot with both eyes open. Anything more or less than 1x results in a conflict in visual processing causing the brain to reject input from the non-dominant eye. The result is collapse of the situational awareness so essential to the dynamic environment of CQB engagement as well as a loss of speed in competition, or worse, in a real-world application. Hence, we have the popularity of the true 1x, non-magnifying dot site for these types of shooting.

David E.

Edited by Nuke8401

Again, forget the Mini and look for good entry level rifle that will serve you well for a while. The STAG 3G is awesome and if you look at the components, you can't beat the price and package. They can be found for a little of $1200 but most places are out now. The DPMS 3G1 is pretty nice also and a little cheaper.

You could also contact Mark at Carbon Arms (he's a forum dealer) and ask him, he also has some idea and is always willing to help out.

As far as scope, don't waste it on a 3-9. Even a Millet DMS-1 1-4x24 would be better and is not a bad entry level scope. They are sold on the forum quite a bit and very inexpensive, you can usually get the scope and mount for around $200-250. The Burris TAC30/MTAC is better and only $100-200 more.

Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

Another place to look for a used rifle already set up for 3 gun is the classifieds at uspsa.org. I know it may be hard to believe but there are shooters online who don't post here.

I bought a used rifle that is basically a DPMS 3G1 that someone put together before DPMS started offering them and I've been very happy with it.

An 18" barrel with a 1 in 8 twist and a good comp is the 3 Gun shizzle.