Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pepper Poppers that Activate Swingers...etc.

lynn jones

i was at the 2004 area 4 championship shooting stage 12 'Home on the Range'. there was this PP that activated a swinger down range, not visible until you move down range to see it. well, i had a solid hit on the PP so i moved on, when i get down range the swinger in not activated. the poor RO wasn't expecting a sudden rush back up range, so he interfered with me. i didn't ask for a re-shoot. i was pre-occupied with finishing the course. what a huge mistake! :angry: that course of fire probably cost me 10-15 places in the over all match.

i'll post the video later. it's a hoot. "get out of my WAY!" RO's, tappers, and camera guy scatter like the running of the bulls in Spain. :D

what i've learned:

1. if a PP activates a swinger, mover, or whatever. make sure it goes down. duh! :blink: double tap the steel if you have to, to knock it down.

2. if for some reason you don't knock the steel down and discover your mistake later, don't go back. the time will be worse than the penalities and the loss of points.

3. if the RO interfers even a little bit, ask for a re-shoot.

Please understand that, despite what I am about to say, Safety is always job one!

I was shooting a field course where the starting position was laying on a bed, face down, with gun on a table nearby. At the start signal I jumped off the bed, grabbed the gun and attempted to shoot steel targets while progressing down a hallway. At the end of the hallway the gun went dry but targets remained. I attempted my lightning fast reload only to realize that ALL of my magazines had fallen off of my belt and were back on the bed. The RO and I must have been of one mind since he knew exactly what I had planned ... run stright at the RO and "force" some incidental contact to earn a re-shoot! That was more fun than could be imagined! We broke the record for the 20yd dash in reverse!

Nobody was injured, no rules we broken, and I did not get my reshoot because he anticipated what I intended to do (because he admitted that he would do the exact same thing) and was faster than I was. The spectators noted how funny it was seeing the RO with his back to the shooter running for his life!

Those were the good old days!

Leo

2. if for some reason you don't knock the steel down and discover your mistake later, don't go back. the time will be worse than the penalities and the loss of points.

Do you really think leaving the PP up is worth the 55 points you would have loss.

15pts for PP (10pts mike and it's 5pts for knock down)

40pts for the target (10pts FTE on the swinger, 20pts 2 mikes, and 10pts for the two As)

55pts loss

I don't think so.....make sure that steel goes down!!!

ok, i have the video loaded up correctly.

Area 4 Bad Stage

listen for the first shot. clearly hitting the pepper popper. notice the RO almost grab me.

funny thing about this stage, the next person to shoot this stage, one of my shooting buddys, did the exact samething. talk about crap rolling down hill. :D

lynn