Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bending M2 carrier latch

caz41

I need to know how much and where exactly to bend the carrier latch (shell stop). Mine is hard to push the shell past and I searched about the bending, but couldn't find anything on where exactly to bend and how much. There was some earlier threads saying not much but that is subjective at best.

I watched Mike at Accurate Iron tune a few and those things are all so different from the factory there is no real way to tell you how to do it. You got know what it looks like and what it needs to feel like. Trial and error will get you there but you may not like the error side of things when you dump shells out of your tube onto the ground. I've been there end done that. Best bet is to send it to a competent Benelli guy like Accurate Iron.

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

If this is a new gun, be sure to shoot 100-200 rounds before you bend anything. Mine was really hard to get shells in when I first bought it. Bent the latch and it was super smooth until I hit about 150 rounds. Then it loosened up and the shells started bouncing back out.

Waht about wallowing out the 2 half moon cutouts to make the piece more flecible? there was a thread on that a few months ago. Seem that making it more flexible would be better than just bending it. I tried that on mine but I was afraid to do enough to make a difference. Plus I scratched the receiver getting the pin in and out.

Can a gunsmith do the adjustment with only the catch and not have to send the whole gun?

I used the cut-outs method to increase the catch's flexibility. It has the benefit of keeping shells firmly in place.

You can cut/file out the half-moon cutouts quite a bit and still not weaken the catch too much. I cut mine so that roughly 60% of the width of the catch at that point has been removed. It still springs back to straight after pushing a shell past, but it's a lot easier to use.

Yes, it's a pain taking the catch out, cutting it a bit, then putting it back in, and repeating, but that's the safest and best way to tune it to your specifications.

"Mr Weakhand" posted to some thread in Enos about how much to bend it. If I remember correctly, he said up to 80, while I went about 50 and that worked for me. He also mentioned where to bend it on the lifter. I wish I could tell you which thread and which post, but I just don't remember.