Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

breaking-in a Shadow?

Xander

Does it really need some breaking in? What type of ammos should I use, any advice or suggestion? Coz I'm planning to use for the 1st time this Wednesday for competition and it's still unfired. I already have lots teflon coated reloaded ammos and some new fmj's. TIA :)

It is foolish to go to a match with an untested gun. I do it all the time, at one match, just make sure your expectations are low. Any new gun needs to be cleaned and lubricated properly before using it. They put a rust preventative on it when it leaves the factory, they don't lube it.

The one match I do it at is called a Fun Match, I have won it many times, but when I take something out to test it all the other guys get all happy when they beat me so it all works out.

Have fun with the CZ it is a great gun, my shoots very nice and runs 100%.

I have a pair of Shadows. One with about 4k rounds through it. Another with maybe 50.

I didn't do anything special with it, as far as breaking it in. I did a quick field strip/cleaning. And then just took a bunch of boxes of reloads out to the range and started shooting. It's been pretty much flawless throughout.

Both of the guns came from the CZ custom shop. And it's interesting to me that the new one has a trigger pull that's nearly a pound heavier - in both single and double action. I wonder how much of that has to do with the round count on my older copy of the gun.

I agree the pistol should be stripped down, cleaned, and lubed. This is especially true of the magazines, every one of my CZ mags had thick rust preventative inside.

I don't see a problem running a new pistol at a fun match, but how will you know where your ammo is zeroed? Hopefully all your shots are 10 yards or less, you'll have no idea where the 25+ yard shots are going.

IMHO, it makes no sense to shoot a match with a gun one never shot before.

On the other hand, I shot IDPA Provincials last year with a gun I fired only 10rds with. Not as well as I could have :(

The story is - I got the gun (brand new) at 2pm the day before we drove (2 days) to the match, and we left early in the AM. All I had time to do was replacing front sight with FO one, had no good rear sight to replace factory one with (used black marker to black out dots on factory sight thou), no time to fit Comp hammer either. Shot 10rds the night before the match just to see where it printed. Either way, it took me first 3 stages to 'learn' long trigger reset, twice as long as my Shadow's. Boom... wtf? OH... reset.. boom... boom-boom...