Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550 primer issue

Put through about 400 rounds yesterday and had an issue I hadn't seen before.

About a dozen times, a new primer would not come out of the primer tube and into place for station 1.

I started watching to see if primers were in place (really slowed things down) and one time I saw a primer that did come out, but on the return from the handle made the primer jump out...

It was colder in my garage since I started reloading, dunno if that matters.

What should I look at to prevent this? Everything seems normal...

Not sure what primers you are using. Some primers can vary in diameter and cause some issues. The tip on the primer tube needs to be watched closely as even a small amout of gunk or burr can make primer drop erratic. Check out BE's check list for primer function and maintenance on the 550b. I can't find the link but If BE reads this I'm sure he'll be nice enough to reprint it. :D

Edited by Youngeyes

I had a similar issue recently. Have you taken the primer assembly apart lately and cleaned underneath the primer bar? When I did, I found a lot of buildup that was causing the primer bar to move erratically, sometimes causing the primer to jump out. Ironically I had cleaned it not too long ago. I over oiled the ram and the oil caused buildup under the primer bar to accumulate a lot quicker than normal.