Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thunder Beast 24 hour sniper challenge

"Approximate maximum target distances: rifle 1200 yards; carbine 500; pistol 100" and it's two days long, don't forget your tactical climbing gear, and night vision equipment is not allowed!

That is some cool stuff, specially the 100 yard pistol shots. Last time I shot a pistol at that range was with a TC Contender at an IHMSA match. It seems that just completing that match would be an accomplishment in itself.

if you were to poke around youtube, you will find all sorts of videos on how to pick locks. at least they make it look surprisingly easy.

I'm with you there though...what does lock picking have to do with "sniper like related fieldcraft"?

or a shooting contest?

my guess is that you make it to a way point, and have to open a box that has written instructions of what target or targets you have to engage from that location and/or it is the directions to the next way point.

I'm thinking traveling through some states with what could be construed as lock picking tools when you are not an actual licensed locksmith is frowned upon, even moreso when you're carrying some sort of arsenal.

I carry a basic lock pick set every day. It's just one of those things that's in my bag. I've rekeyed military 200 series locks. Yes, the guy at the gun show made it look easier than it is but with practice it's not that hard for basic locks. I still can't get hockey pucks open though. I've made my own picks out of hacksaw blades but they are a little thick for doors, I use them for larger padlocks.

Edited by want2race

I emailed Zak to get more info on the lock picking thing and it sounds like you can pick up a couple of extra points for completing the side tasks like picking locks and such, but that the land nav and shooting would determine the winners of this match. I would put my points toward orienteering and moving fast over land at night.

I did SERE in the mountains of Colorado.

We did land nav at night.

What we were not taught, however, was how to compensate for hilly terrain in terms of your pace count.

On the map, it might look like just 6 kilometers, straight from point A to point B, but with all the climbing up and down hill it was more like 9 km's.

There was one night we were so...SO! past our pace count we thought our compass man had been reading the wrong heading. Then we heard another group of evaders coming through the brush. "hey, you guys way past your pace count like we are?" "YEAH!"

We stayed on our original heading and finally found the next partisan camp.

It was unsettling to think that we had over shot the partisan camp and that we should turn back around instead.